• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dealing with Maintenance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Attitudes" are always difficult to deal with but they can often be avoided.

If there's a discrepancy in your aircraft you are required to report it, i.e., write it up. This should be done always and always BEFORE you consult with maintainance. If the write up is already in the "can" when you bring the problem to the attention of MX, there will never be a need to debate whether or not is should be put there.

If the item can be deferred but you think that it should not be, the wording of your write up can be tailored to ensure that it isn't. Example: "Windshield dirty" --- may result in its being cleaned or not, whereas --- "Dirt on windshield impairs vision of pilots" --- will almost certainly result in a clean windshield. Sometimes its not what you say (write) but how you say it.

If there was no "prior history" of confrontations with the particular mechanic I would probably ignore the snide remark. If there was a history of similar attitudes from the same person, I'd chat with the CP. Assuming you have a good CP, he'll take care of it appropriately. Do not get yourself involved in direct confrontations.

Example 2. Pilot Write up = "Number 4 engine paramater indications abnormal".
Mechanic response = "Number 4 engine ground chk OK, all paramaters indicate normal."

Discussion --

Pilot - "You couldn't isolate the problem"?
Mechanic - "No. There's nothing wrong with the engine, those indications on #4 are normal."
Pilot - "OK, very sorry, apparently I didn't understand the problem. It's much worse than I thought. If you give me the "can" I'll correct it."

Pilot takes can and makes the following entry. "Above discrepancy entered in error", signs. Makes new entry = "Engines 1, 2 and 3 operating paramaters all indicating abnormal compared to normal indications of engine #4". - signed.

Result. Mechanic reads new writeup and throws can on ground, walking away. Minuetes later returns with helper, opens cowl on #4, works for approx 1 hour. Closes cowl, checks all engines. Makes following entry in can.

"Corrected and adjusted operating paramaters on engine #4. All four engines now indicating the same and normal. Problem was loose cannon plug. Tightened and secured. Aircraft released for flight."

Pilot to Mechanic -- "Thanks very much for your help. I'm glad it wasn't so serious after all."

End of story.

We all run into these little problems from time to time. In most cases a prudent Captain can work them out and avoid a confrontation, without "giving in". Mechanics and pilots both have "bad days", but there is no need for either one of us without the other.

Best wishes.

Awwww, so sad you have to actually fly the airplane!!! Kiss my ass, If it can be MEL'd, than it will be. If I have to work the prob, than rest assured it will be worked according to the AMM. I really wish the guy who started this thread had bitched about something other than an autopilot fault.
I'll DMI your FMC, GPWS, TCAS, Auto pilot sys, your Rad alts, man or auto modes on your packs, seat or whatever it may be. I'll DMI your **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** boom jacks! Why? Because i'm paid to do a job, thats why. I'm paid to move the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** bird, and sometimes you candy asses sound plain sad to hear bitch. Will I work a legit prob? **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** right I will. Will I stand to hear a egotistical pilot bitch about his auto pilot? Nope, its gonna get an MEL every time. Hand fly that bitch you pussies and earn that pay check, sort of like when I have to change a spoileron PCU in the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** rain.

Your NWS kicked off a few times? Cycle the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** switch and get her to the gate. My ass rides on the line no different than yours. Grown up with a pilot who would not be posting on the regionals board here. He's majors folks. Miss that cable steering, go fly a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** Baron. Aside from that, do a nut check and realize that no jet is perfect. And for those who work for Indy, rest assured i'll be there to DMI your 3A pump, PCU, temp ctrl, or whatever you manage to complain about. See you at the gate pussies.

I really love pilot threads about MX with no MX input. Come get me fired you gung ho pussies. To borrow a line from ALPA, " My union speaks for me"

Last edited:
frjmx328 said:
Awwww, so sad you have to actually fly the airplane!!! Kiss my ass, If it can be MEL'd, than it will be. If I have to work the prob, than rest assured it will be worked according to the AMM. I really wish the guy who started this thread had bitched about something other than an autopilot fault.
I'll DMI your FMC, GPWS, TCAS, Auto pilot sys, your Rad alts, man or auto modes on your packs, seat or whatever it may be. I'll DMI your **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** boom jacks! Why? Because i'm paid to do a job, thats why. I'm paid to move the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** bird, and sometimes you candy asses sound plain sad to hear bitch. Will I work a legit prob? **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** right I will. Will I stand to hear a egotistical pilot bitch about his auto pilot? Nope, its gonna get an MEL every time. Hand fly that bitch you pussies and earn that pay check, sort of like when I have to change a spoileron PCU in the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** rain.

Your NWS kicked off a few times? Cycle the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** switch and get her to the gate. My ass rides on the line no different than yours. Grown up with a pilot who would not be posting on the regionals board here. He's majors folks. Miss that cable steering, go fly a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** Baron. Aside from that, do a nut check and realize that no jet is perfect. And for those who work for Indy, rest assured i'll be there to DMI your 3A pump, PCU, temp ctrl, or whatever you manage to complain about. See you at the gate pussies.

I really love pilot threads about MX with no MX input. Come get me fired you gung ho pussies. To borrow a line from ALPA, " My union speaks for me"

I think you were the guy he was talking about. You know what...with your attitude, I'd let you work on the jet for a while, get your MEL sticker gun nice and hot and then still refuse the jet if I didn't think it was sat. Period, end of story. Find me a plane I am happy with or fix this one. We can play this game all day if you'd like.

Ted is 100% correct. My arse is responsible for all the people behind the cockpit door and if I"M not satisfied, no go. Plain and simple.

citdrver said:
...those wrench monkies...know the airplane better than you...
No, they don't. They know the airplane differently. I had one mechanic explain to me that the rudder trim problem we were having couldn't be hydraulic since the Brasilia's rudder trim was mechanical. (No, it's not.) I had another tell me that the reason the packs weren't working was that the engine bleeds were closed. (The fact that the engines weren't running didn't seem to bother him.) And I never knew a mechanic who cared a bit about APU starter limitations. Sure, they know the nuts-and-bolts a heck of a lot better than I do, but they "know the airplane better?" Hardly.
frjmx328 said:
Awwww, so sad you have to actually fly the airplane!!! I really wish the guy who started this thread had bitched about something other than an autopilot fault.
You missed the point, Poindexter. I didn't give a crap about the autopilot. Heck, I could use the parcatice hand-flying! :D

This isn't about FMS's or deferrals. This is about mechanics who treat nine out of ten write-ups like something the pilot is doing to cause trouble. This is about mechanics who piss and moan about having to fix seatbelts that were installed upside-down. (Were they certified that way? No. Fix it.) This is about mechanics who tell you the transponder failed because you--the stupid pilot--had too many symbols displayed on the MFD. (So help me, I'm not making that up.)

This is about attitude. I can deal with a lousy one, but I shouldn't have to. It's a big pain in the ass...bigger than a deferred autopilot.

Somebody mentioned that this base is closing. That's a good point, and I've accepted a lot of crap from rampers, mechanics, and gate agents who are getting screwed come February 1st. But you know what? When it comes down to it, it's not my fault. Go yell at Grinstein.
Your NWS kicked off a few times?
Yes, every time I turned it past 45-degrees right.
Cycle the [CENSORED] switch and get her to the gate.
We did. What, you're telling me a system that's consistently failing a specific way isn't worthy of a write up? How 'bout if we sit down with the PMI and talk that one over?

Typhoon1244 said:
This is about mechanics who tell you the transponder failed because you--the stupid pilot--had too many symbols displayed on the MFD. (So help me, I'm not making that up.)

LMAO! That might be the most assenine thing I've ever heard!

frjmx328 said:
Awwww, so sad you have to actually fly the airplane!!! Kiss my ...

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**

... " My union speaks for me"
Well, we can safely say that this joker would make a great poster child for the VERY problem that prompted this thread.

Furthermore, he stands as a huge embarrassment to organized labor

If the airplane is broken/needs servicing, write it up. Safety first. If the item can be deferred, I let them make that call. I don't get paid to make those decisions, nor do I care to risk my certificate on them either.

BTW, if the mechanic is in a bad mood, smile and wish him/her a nice day and go inside and grab a soda or coffee.

I agree with weasel keeper and trip. Wright it up get it fixed or deffer'd and suck it up with the attitude. If this is a cronic problem with the mech. write him up or even better talk to him\her.we all have bad days but are trying to do the best that we can. to the person that said to fire him, You could be a managment lap dog. Me, I am a smart a@s, some crew get offended with me untill they get to know me, I might grumble but they know I wont let anything go unsafe.Keep the peace folks we are all on this ride together.

Latest resources

Back