Dealing with Maintenance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
xjavro85 said:
I can't beleive everyone is getting down on this guy for a bad attitude. What a bunch of hypocrites...as far as getting mad over a deferred A/P, let me see what is it we are paid for..thats right flying the airplane.
I can't believe anyone would DEFEND the mechanic's attitude.

Who got mad over a deferred A/P? He objects to the attitude displayed by the machanic - - the 6th word out of his mouth was a vulgar expletive - - defend THAT!

What are we paid for? Flying the airplane AND documenting mechanical discrepancies. Any mechanic who intimidates pilots into failing to document discrepancies that subsequently hurt people should be held criminally liable, in my opinion.

If it's broke, it gets written up. IF it's deferrable, and that's what the mechanic chooses to do, so be it. If it's not deferrable, it's gotta be fixed. Ignoring it will not make it go away. Do what you're supposed to do, and sign your certificate number to it. If you've got a problem with that arrangement, you need to find another vocation.

xjavro85 said:
I can't beleive everyone is getting down on this guy for a bad attitude. What a bunch of hypocrites...as far as getting mad over a deferred A/P, let me see what is it we are paid for..thats right flying the airplane. Back in the metro days hell they didn't even have a/p's. And in the DASH-8 the nosewheel steering was deferrable. I think we should give the mechanics a little respect. They keep the things flying just as much if not more than we do.
No, we aren't paid to fly airplanes anymore. Now we monitor systems.

What drives me nuts is not so much being delayed for maintenance, but when I get a jet that has issues and NO ONE has written them up all day. If the plane needs work, get it fixed. As far as the mechanic's attitude, I wouldn't let it go. If one of us spoke to him like that, we'd be called on the carpet. I have had a couple of times where they gave me grief for writing something up, or had comments like "well, how do you think we are supposed to fix THIS?" I really don't care how you fix it, but it needs fixed. I am not an A & P. Most of the guys are ok, but like anything a couple of bad apples can ruin it.

Ted Striker said:
What drives me nuts is not so much being delayed for maintenance, but when I get a jet that has issues and NO ONE has written them up all day. If the plane needs work, get it fixed.
My experience with maintenance has been overwhelmingly positive, but there have been a few bad incidents that stand out in my mind still.

One particular early morning during pre-flight I found a main gear strut underserviced and brought it to the attention of the mechanic warming himself in the front seat of a van parked nearby. He responded with a sad story about how difficult it would be to service the strut, how he'd have to go get some kind of specialized equipment, how long it would take, blah blah, blah, he already noticed the strut and thought it would be good to go. I told him that my book says the strut has to be serviced, so I'll go ahead and write it up and if it was good to go, he could just sign it off. In light of the fact that the very same airplane had a landing incident involving the landing gear just a few days earlier, I thought it would be prudent to document any deficiencies.

15 minutes later the strut was serviced. Amazing.

If anything, I'd prefer to err on the side of writing up any time there's a doubt. If it's good to go, and the mechanic says so, he affixes his certificate number and we're on our way. Works great, lasts long time.

You all are sounding like a bunch of girls- let me rephrase that WIMPS because some mechanic was gruff with you? Tell him its in the can (written-up) and go have your coffee or latte whatever. sheese get over it.

trip said:
You all are sounding like a bunch of girls...because some mechanic was gruff with you? Sheese get over it.
He wasn't gruff, he was downright rude.

And I ignored it.*

How is that girl-like?

*Although I wish I hadn't...

Just think how you'd feel if you didn't write it up and the next crew had something happen (minor or major). Then you'd feel like a tool. Screw that mechanic's attitude. He's on duty for a reason and has a responsibility to fulfill. Let him/her earn their money. If it's something that is deferrable, then you've already taken care of the matter on your part. Ink to paper isn't that big of a deal. If you feel that the guy's attitude needs adjustment then bring it up to a MX super or your CP. Be diplomatic about it of course. ;)

Rook

As a former airline line mechanic and regional FO, I would say that the guy was being sarcastic, as many mechanics can be. What you have is an attitude problem directed to you, just aeasily could be from a ramper, a gate agent, etc. One mechanic I worked with had a good saying: "The Book Shall Set You Free!" If you have a discrepency Write it up!! Every instance of a captain trying to be a good guy or company guy and not wanting to write something up, usually screwed more than just his buddy.

You have a maintenance issue, put it in the book. You have a personal issue, follow your company protocol. Also be advised your dealing with maintenace in a closing maintenace base, dont ask for high morale when the dude's job is going away.

As far as the negative Mechanic comments, remeber those wrench monkies etc, are most likely making more than you, work in the elements more then you, deal with rather complex problems more than you, know the airplane better than you, and you depend on them to keep you making more than gaurantee. I will say at Comair there were a few attitudes, but the vast majority were very proffesional and quite good.

citdrver said:
As a former airline line mechanic and regional FO, I would say that the guy was being sarcastic, as many mechanics can be. What you have is an attitude problem directed to you, just aeasily could be from a ramper, a gate agent, etc. One mechanic I worked with had a good saying: "The Book Shall Set You Free!" If you have a discrepency Write it up!! Every instance of a captain trying to be a good guy or company guy and not wanting to write something up, usually screwed more than just his buddy.

You have a maintenance issue, put it in the book. You have a personal issue, follow your company protocol. Also be advised your dealing with maintenace in a closing maintenace base, dont ask for high morale when the dude's job is going away.

As far as the negative Mechanic comments, remeber those wrench monkies etc, are most likely making more than you, work in the elements more then you, deal with rather complex problems more than you, know the airplane better than you, and you depend on them to keep you making more than gaurantee. I will say at Comair there were a few attitudes, but the vast majority were very proffesional and quite good.

AMEN BROTHA!!!!

citdrver said:
I must say that I was rather disappointed to see so many derogatory comments directed toward mechanics in general (this specific instance notwithstanding). I think it reveals an elitist attitude, as though operating the aircraft is somehow better than keeping it in good working order. Both are skilled, demanding occupations, and both deserve respect. It is surprising that many pilots do not understand this.

Josh M.

Latest resources

Back