• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Deal reached on new pilot hours

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
maybe this reads you must have 800 to be a SIC, but you can still be a 91, CFI, VFR 135 PIC? what do you think? But if it is 800 for a Comm, what does a pilot do for 800 hours? No CFIing, No Banner Towing, no sightseeing, it will nearly kill all progression except for rich people.

According to this article it sure seems like they are trying to raise the minimums for the commercial license. So flying anything commercially, including CFIing, would require 800 hours. I am sure it could also be an oversight by the articles author.

Everything published so far is relatively vague and open to interpretation. But this article was the clearest I came across.

you have needed a commercial so far to sit right seat so in other words you have needed 250 hours, now youll need 800 hours and the press thinks the only commercial pilots out there fly for the airlines... thus they say 800 hours to fly commercial... i think the press is just being ignorant is all.

is 'have needed' correct english??? just sounds weird

college only?

Literacy was once the exception not the rule, shall we advocate that it's not necessary because many illiterate people have "reached good career positions," or because they are good people worthy of admiration? Hyperbole perhaps, but it points out the absurdity of the argument.
So are you saying the only way to be successful in life is to go to college. Being tradesman, owning your business, and making over $150K/yr is not successful?

So are you saying the only way to be successful in life is to go to college. Being tradesman, owning your business, and making over $150K/yr is not successful?

I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing professional pilots and what standards should be for that profession. Apparently you're having another discussion entirely.

Hey does your mom know you are using the computer, shouldn't you go back to etrade LOL.

Wow, that's takes real talent to be 70 years old, still living and working in Deloliet, trolling a pilot message boards in hopes of tearing down the profession before you fly till you die, and still manage to throw text short cut words like you were some 15 year American Idol loving chick, "LOL". That's on top of all the really ballsy, idiotic, illegal, and dangerous suggestions such as a PIC shouldn't challenge the safety of a MEL. And Caveman wonders where the personal attacks come from.

You understand who's lives were personally attacked? The victims of the Buffalo Colgan crash. An accident that was part of a culture that PilotYip continues to believe in where anyone can make the grade to become a professional pilot and pilots should except piss poor compensation and work conditions to keep the maximum number of pilots in the airline industry. I would pay for charity to see him cower in the presence of close family members and friends of the Buffalo crash victims. There are accidents, and then there are preventable tragic situations such as the Buffalo crash.

Which is why going back to the heart of the thread, that a new minimum should be established. Better to experience something scary during that first 800 hours that makes a pilot better respect basic aerodynamics, then have it happen during airline operations.

Last edited:
pilot only one way

I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing professional pilots and what standards should be for that profession. Apparently you're having another discussion entirely.
no I was looking at a bigger picture, success in life in general. Being a pilot is only one way, the way I chose, a path I am glad I followed. There are many ways to succeed and a college degree is only one of many paths that lead to success

Last edited:
This compromise basically renders the provisions useless. Very few pilots were ever actually getting hired with less than 800 hours. The average was probably in the 1000-1200 hour range. We needed the 1500 hours to make a significant impact. Disappointing to say the least.

Agree 100%

This compromise basically renders the provisions useless. Very few pilots were ever actually getting hired with less than 800 hours. The average was probably in the 1000-1200 hour range. We needed the 1500 hours to make a significant impact. Disappointing to say the least.

That's not entirely accurate. These provisions call for "experience" minimums, so theoretically the new "800 hour" verison pilot should have more documented or logged hours in certain types of weather and training, something the low time new hires really didn't reflect. Therefore, this should theoretically constitute a more valuable crew member. Regardless, I do agree an ATP should be a minimum. It's not THAT hard to get. Perhaps maybe a year more outside of 121.

Latest resources

Back