Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hovernut

Home Based Again!
With so many alumni in the Regionals, I thought it would be relative to place this here:

DCA Loses a Cirrus and two aboard.

Just commuted home and turned on the local radio to this news:
http://wdbo.com/localnews/2009/02/plane-crash-in-volusia-takes-t.html

I went to the open house when they opened the new training facility and showcased all the new Cirrus aircraft & sims. I wonder if the BRS (chute) is standard on all Cirrus airplanes, or if it's just an option.

May God rest their souls & comfort their loved ones.

The chute is only a way around spin demonstration for the FAA. It is effective, but by no means a end all to safety.

God Bless these young pilots. Fate is the hunter, at any phase of seeking this dream.

I think this is correct, however IMHO people put too much faith in the 'chute. It will help in some situations, but not all.

The Cirrus (SR20/SR22) was type certified with the chute...it's not an option. It's installed when the aircraft is built whether you want it or not. Additionally, it was not designed for ALL situations. Think of it as another tool in the pilots tool box to use IF they find it necessary based on the situtation that presents itself.

I'm sure it's not for a stall/spin situation. More like a- well, we're over the Atlantic and the motor just quit. Lets drop in on Gilligan and the Skipper....

My opinion:

When the Cirrus was being conceived, the parachute was included in the design for many reasons, including marketing, as well as safety. After all, if trying to convince an insurance company, or reluctant spouse, that a particular airplane is a safe choice, wouldn't it be easier to describe the airplane as "the one with the parachute"? Knowing this part of the design was then as important to the product as the engine or propeller, there were certain parts of the certification process that didn't need to be addressed; namely demonstrated spin recovery procedures. In a spin? From the POH, utilize a 'chin-up' motion to activate the pyrotechnic device that deploys the C.A.P.S (proprietary Cirrus Airframe Parachute System).

I give the designers of the Cirrus a lot of credit for sticking with the parachute idea. After all, the whole system adds a significant amount of weight to the aircraft that doesn't produce additional airspeed of useful load. I think that the parachute is a good idea, but I think that not having spin recovery procedures in place, other than 'pull the 'chute' is a very bad idea.

In the hands of an experienced, current, competent pilot, the Cirrus is an outstanding owner or professionally flown airplane. I do not believe it is a suitable airplane for flight training, or, pleasure flying by people who do not maintain a professional attitude towards the aircraft. (To clarify, however, I'm not in any way saying that this accident was caused by an inappropriate attitude toward the aircraft by this unfortunate CFI and student. It's too early to know what happened in this situation. I'm just giving my opinion on this particular event.)

God Bless these young pilots. Fate is the hunter, at any phase of seeking this dream.[/quote]

Concur. Well said.

The CAPS parachute system on the Cirrus has a 133 KIAS limitation for successful deployment, though I do think there has been ONE actual deployment up around 150kts that was successful...and many others that ripped the chute off the airplane prior to it auguring in at a high rate and killing all onboard.

Cirrus CAPS deployment video can be seen here

The Cirrus Jet, also known as SJ50 Vision, will also have a beefed-up CAPS parachute...it'll be interesting to see how that'll work on a jet with a planned cruise TAS of ~300kt and a ceiling of FL250.

(a jet with a parachute, geez..........)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back