Days off per month at ATLAS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

linecheck

Saw that the application window just opened up at ATLAS. Curious to know how many days off guys are getting on the 767 vs 747. What's the junior base there? Is JFK or ANC senior?

Thanks for the info

LC

Saw that the application window just opened up at ATLAS. Curious to know how many days off guys are getting on the 767 vs 747. What's the junior base there? Is JFK or ANC senior?

Thanks for the info

LC

I'm a 767 guy, but it seems like 747 guys fly 17-day patterns fairly regularly. Not so much on the 767, I'm typically gone 14-15 days per month.

ANC, HSV, CVG and LAX are junior on the 747, in that order. I've been on property 1.5 years and couldn't currently hold IAH, JFK or MIA on the 747. CVG is junior on the 767.

By your description, it's about 17 days on, followed by the rest of the month off? So basically, between 11 and 14 days at home per month, if I understand that right. How is the routine once on the road? Pretty busy? Or do the layovers provide some good rest in between flights?

Thanks for the info... greatly appreciated.

LC

By your description, it's about 17 days on, followed by the rest of the month off? So basically, between 11 and 14 days at home per month, if I understand that right. How is the routine once on the road? Pretty busy? Or do the layovers provide some good rest in between flights?

LC

You can figure on being out 17 days although sometimes it's less. Sometimes they are all in one block and sometimes they are spilt up. I always try and bid for keeping it in one block because it keeps the travel from home to work down. On the bright side, because of the CTR (Calculated Rig Time) if you do work 17 days you are certain of a little over 18 hours of overtime even if you spend the entire time sitting in Hahn enjoying pils and jaegershnitzel. (hasn't happened yet!)
Crew rests run from minimum to several days. Most are in the 24 to 36 hour range. Keep in mind, these numbers are for the 747.

LC

you owe the company 17 days per month. might be one long pattern, might have a few days of home reserve on either end of a trip, might be broken up into smaller pairings, might be a whole month of home reserve. I like bidding 60-day lines, which this time has three shorter pairings. If you were based in ANC and lived in Florida, for example, you could easily spend 2 off days on each end of your pattern commuting.

Domestic DHL on the 767, esp. the MSP-TOL-CVG-TOL-MSP run at night, is as bad as it gets, but you get weekends off. On the 767 internationally, our longest leg is @ 11 hours, so you typically get plenty of rest between flights.

Schedules change all the time, both before the trip starts and once on the road, but you usually have at least a day's prior notice. You're bidding a work footprint more than you're bidding a specific trip.

Thanks very much for the info! It seems like the QOL can be pretty good if you live in one of the bases. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to live in ANC what percentage of the trips involve a DH to the aircraft, versus flying it straight out of base? In this scenario, I would assume there is no commuting on your off-time as you would be living in-base. Thanks again- LC

Thanks very much for the info! It seems like the QOL can be pretty good if you live in one of the bases. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to live in ANC what percentage of the trips involve a DH to the aircraft, versus flying it straight out of base? In this scenario, I would assume there is no commuting on your off-time as you would be living in-base. Thanks again- LC

any time a trip starts out of base, you don't have to give up a day off. can't help you with info on ANC trips.

I have not seen any 60 day lines constructed that way, but I suppose you can work the first 17 day of month 1 and the last 17 day in month 2 effectively giving you approx a month off spread over 2 bid periods.

You could, but you'd likely have some free time in base between trips. Heavy rest requirements could make you illegal for back-to-back pairings. Also, you have to agree to having less than 5 days off between trips, and if you have less than 48 hours in base, they get you a hotel (taxable) but not a ticket home.

Latest resources

Back