• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Days off per month at ATLAS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's because people with a lot if experience typically are very set in their ways and more resistant to change and learning new things. 4000-6000 hours is a relatively experienced person but still also a relatively clean slate(ie moldable).....15000 hrs will be tougher.....I've witnessed this a my employer......the guys with 10k plus and 10yrs plus at a major had a far tougher time adapting to a new company than the younger less experienced guys.

That's because people with a lot if experience typically are very set in their ways and more resistant to change and learning new things. 4000-6000 hours is a relatively experienced person but still also a relatively clean slate(ie moldable).....15000 hrs will be tougher.....I've witnessed this a my employer......the guys with 10k plus and 10yrs plus at a major had a far tougher time adapting to a new company than the younger less experienced guys.

I would have to respectively disagree. While there is some truth to your comment I do not believe the statement can cast such a wide blanket that the statement assumes. Maybe someone has higher time but has gotten it by working at several companies thus learning new SOPs each time or has gotten his/her time with several different types. In all there are many ways to get higher time and still prove that one is able to learn new things. Its not that hard to adjust to the new company's SOP although some do have that problem and they should be weeded out in training or interview instead of application.

An acquaintance was hired there last year. Compared to those inquiring here, was low time. Under 5K and minimal turbine PIC, most of it being on a single engine TP. I wonder if that might be the target group in an effort to hang on to them as long as possible? Others in this new hire class were low time as well. Who'da thunk having a lot of experience could have a negative associated with it.

Atlas has hired pilots with ages and qualifications that are all over the board. 26 years to 53 years old. 2800 to 12k+ hours TT.

Those of us who have studied this issue for a long time can only surmise that you get called when they pull your resume from the top of the stack of qualified applicants. Then you get hired when they interview enough pilots that seem to know a significant amount of information about Atlas, understand the operation and can cope with the time away and schedule changes, and are genuinely nice folks you would like to share a cockpit with for a 14 hour flight (the recommendations help here).

Other than that, there is no secret formula that we have been able to detect.

Just keep updating when your quals change, be patient, and be really, really, ready for the phone call interview and the subsequent online exam immediately after the call. They like pilots who have done their homework and are locked and loaded for the job.

There were two people in my class older than 53. They have hired a few FO regional pilots with no Turbine PIC.

I just finished a 3 day trip. I had a one day trip. I have had 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19 day trips, and 28 and 31. You can work two 17 day trips back-to-back. You don't need any heavy rest if you don't go to home or base.

I am NYC based, and almost all of my trips do not start or end in base. MIA, IAH and ANC, for example, have many more trips that start and/or end in base. My buddy said it is 2+ years to hold NYC as a base. He started in ANC, then got HSV and most recently CVG (a -400 guy). MIA and IAH have a number of out-and-back trips.

Here are some NYC examples: Start CVG, end MIA. Start DOV, end Kuwait. Start BWI, end Cuidad del Estes, Paraguay. Start LAX end CVG. Start ANC, end ORD. Start CHS, end CHS. Start CVG, end LAX. Start IAH, end IAH. Start MIA, end MIA. Start ORD, end MEL. Start LAX, end LAX.

31 day month, get 14 days off. 30 day month, get 13 days off. You can be extended involuntarily about 3 days to the end of a trip (once a month max). I have been extended twice in about 3 yrs. My first 6 months online at Atlas I average 16 days/month at home. You can do R1, which is Reserve at Home.

Since I airline to trips, I normally leave home on my last day off. Two or three times in 3 years I have had to airline out on my 2nd to last day off. Normally, I get home either one day early, or two days early. Getting home two days early for me has happened a number of times.

I applied in 2007, and got hired in 2010.

Normally, you get one or two nights in a location. Min time is 12 hours, which has happened to me a number of times. Sometimes you can get 4 or 5 nights in a row off in a location. I once got 4 nights in HNL, followed by one leg, then 4 nights off in SYD (Coogee Beach). That is NOT typical!

If you have more specific questions feel free to PM me.

God bless, and good luck...

PS-I am glad I got to see my kids today. I applied at National Air Cargo in 2010, and thought they were going to hire me. When I first heard about the crash in Bagram, the first thing i thought was that it easily could have been me....RIP to the crew, and God Bless the families and everyone else affected....

Phone #

I have had several calls lately with blocked id's.....and apparently my phone wont allow voicemails to download without id.....ive been told to expect a call from Atlas.....anyone get calls for prelim, was it a blocked or unblocked #.....thanks..

Fandango, I don't believe Atlas uses a blocked number. Still, if you think it was Atlas, call HR. Better safe than sorry.

To add a little to what Cliff wrote, (from a 767 perspective):

worst i've had was two 15-day trips with 3 days off in between. (If you're home less than 5 days, you get paid for the days at home, too)

Haven't had many short trips on the 767, i'd say the average trip is 10-14 days. i've never been extended or had to go in a day early, one advantage of the JFK 767 base - if the trip doesn't start in base you don't have to give up a day off to the commute. CVG would be different.

Min rest for us is typically 10 hours, but you almost always get much more than that. On the 767, expect to spend long layovers in Hahn, CVG or NRT.

I've been here 1.5 years. According to the last bid, I could now (theoretically) hold JFK or MIA on the 747, one or two from the bottom. LAX got smaller and I would've lost ground in HSV. CVG and ANC are the most junior.

I celebrated my 55th birthday (and 18,000 hours) (and I was awake for at least half of that time) while in school for Atlas and the rest of the kids in my class were awesome. We made the bar-b-que and the Beer-Rita famous at the Residence Inn in MIA. We raised the bar for all future classes.

BayBum37ft

Last edited:
Hey, just curious as to what your bid process is like at Atlas? I saw mention of essentially bidding a trip footprint rather than specific trips as well as Reserve. Is it all seniority-awarded? Are the bids done monthly, multi-month, etc? Do all trips start/end within the bid period, or do some trips extend into the next, and if so, is there a limit to how many days or whatever it can carry into the next period? And if so, how is it handled for the next period, as far as conflicts or time off?
Thanks!

Hey, just curious as to what your bid process is like at Atlas? I saw mention of essentially bidding a trip footprint rather than specific trips as well as Reserve. Is it all seniority-awarded? Are the bids done monthly, multi-month, etc? Do all trips start/end within the bid period, or do some trips extend into the next, and if so, is there a limit to how many days or whatever it can carry into the next period? And if so, how is it handled for the next period, as far as conflicts or time off?
Thanks!

Atlas. uses the "magic 8-Ball" system

Latest resources

Back