Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

refplusnone

Huh??
I thought that DAL was going to begin service direct to Nairobi out of ATL. I looked on some travel websites but did not see anything going out of ATL to NBO. Any DAL guys know anything about this route?

Ref

The TSA still will not sign off on it. It's on indefinite hold.

Hi!

They were supposed to start on 2?Jun 2009. The official story is at the last minute the DHS cancelled it (the NIGHT before!) due to security concerns in Kenya, and at the Jomo Kenyatta airport.

So, instead DAL is allowed to fly to ultra-secure locations like LAGOS!!!

It would have made TONS of money for DAL, and really helped out East Africa and the US businesses a LOT!

cliff
LFW

FWIW, DAL is still hot to trott for Africa. They say it is a printing press for money, and you just have to hit the "on" switch.

Nu

Hi!

They were supposed to start on 2?Jun 2009. The official story is at the last minute the DHS cancelled it (the NIGHT before!) due to security concerns in Kenya, and at the Jomo Kenyatta airport.

So, instead DAL is allowed to fly to ultra-secure locations like LAGOS!!!

It would have made TONS of money for DAL, and really helped out East Africa and the US businesses a LOT!

cliff
LFW

Plus, DL didnt want to pay the bribes for operating in Nigeria...

Nairobi will not be direct from Atlanta.

There will be a daily flight to Dakar. The plan is that every day, a 757 or same jet will go from Dakar to a diferent destination in Africa (once a week service to them) much like Liberia.

Security was of a concern in Nairobi.

Hi!

Nairobi is Kenya. Lagos, where they operate to now, is Nigeria, and is about THE worse place for security in Africa...maybe Kinshasa, DRC is worse? Who cares about paying bribes...when you are making piles of money...that is a cost of business in many countries.

The security question in Nairobi and at the airport is crap. DAL already flies to many places, like Lagos, where the security is worse. None of my drivers ever carries a weapon. In Lagos, my buddy's driver carries an AK-47, ALL THE TIME!

Hope DAL can work out the NBO thing soon. It would REALLY help out ALL of East Africa, and with Kenya Airways/Precision Air (both in the AF/DAL family) there to fly feed, DAL would probably start having to add flights/ bigger aircraft, very soon. Probably could bring a 747 direct from ATL or JFK (or both) not too long after you started NBO service.

cliff
LFW

Hi!

Nairobi is Kenya. Lagos, where they operate to now, is Nigeria, and is about THE worse place for security in Africa...maybe Kinshasa, DRC is worse? Who cares about paying bribes...when you are making piles of money...that is a cost of business in many countries.

The security question in Nairobi and at the airport is crap. DAL already flies to many places, like Lagos, where the security is worse. None of my drivers ever carries a weapon. In Lagos, my buddy's driver carries an AK-47, ALL THE TIME!

Hope DAL can work out the NBO thing soon. It would REALLY help out ALL of East Africa, and with Kenya Airways/Precision Air (both in the AF/DAL family) there to fly feed, DAL would probably start having to add flights/ bigger aircraft, very soon. Probably could bring a 747 direct from ATL or JFK (or both) not too long after you started NBO service.

cliff
LFW

Jomo Kenyatta Int'l (HKJK/NBO) was updated in June of 2003 after BA stopped flying there for 55 days due to security concerns. The US Government infused about $1 billion in updated security equipment following the the attempted shoot down (SA-7 MANPAD) of an Israeli B757 out of Mombasa in November 2002. The approaches to HKJK are still vulnerable, especially from the south west over Nairobi Game Park. The border with Somalia is still very porous with known active Al Qaeda cells in Kenya and Somalia.

The US State Department also just updated their travel Warnings to Kenya March 16, 2010 for terrorism and high crime. See this ---> http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_923.html

T8

I thought that DAL was going to begin service direct to Nairobi out of ATL. I looked on some travel websites but did not see anything going out of ATL to NBO. Any DAL guys know anything about this route?

Ref

It's a security issue in Nairobi is what the holdup is over. Supposedly it's going to take another year to work out. Expect flights in mid to late 2011.

Latest resources

Back