• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL Psych evaluation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hope that it is not one person in particular that got it overturned. Other than that, I am glad that they did.

I did some research on the MMPI-2 and what Delta is looking for. Pilots tend to spike out the 'K' value. Basically, we don't admit to dumb things like: I have stolen something. Or: I get sick once in a while. You are still in interview mode and not answering the questions truthfully. Obviously questions like: I do what my dreams tell me to do or: I hear voices in my head answered as true are disqualifiers. If you just admit to reality you'll pass. Sometimes I get mad or I've had bosses I didn't like are both TRUE! So answer true. Don't game the system and you'll do fine. The doc can tell if you gamed the test because it is inconsistent. My buddy did a practice test with a doc once and he spiked out the 'K' value. He took the docs advice to be honest and is now working for Delta.

Here's a link to an actual MMPI-2 test administered to an airline pilot applicant. The name has been changed but the description of this individual are detailed.

Definately worth reading if you're expecting to take an airline imposed evaluation.

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/reports/mmpi2airline-interp.pdf

Here's a portion of the description.

This is a highly defensive response to the MMPI-2, resulting in a profile that may underestimate the individual's problems and maladjustment. The applicant was so defensive and evasive in responding to the items that the resulting profile is probably attenuated. His marked defensiveness and tendency to place himself in a favorable light may result from a conscious desire to avoid divulging personal information.

Individuals who are being evaluated for employment may produce such defensive profiles. They attempt to appear highly virtuous, and they typically deny problem situations and personal limitations that are common to most people. Their unwillingness to admit to any shortcomings casts doubt on the utility of their MMPI-2 profile. Because of his defensive test-taking approach, the presence of significant problems that can impede work performance cannot be ruled out.

I didn't pass the psyche eval either. It seems if Delta wants to use "their" psyche to do a re-evalution for the review board, then that psyche should talk to you in person. This way he can get his on conclusion, rather than a conclusion from notes.

Now I'm still flying Delta passengers with more responsibility as a Captain. That's ok, but not as an F/O with a different ID..

Quite true and in your case I know that they made a mistake. You do deserve to be here. Hopefully they will change it and let you do it over again.

So just out of curiosity, does the psych eval consist of a written test or do you sit down with a quack...or is it both? Also, if I understand correctly, you only do the psych eval if you do well the first day right?

So just out of curiosity, does the psych eval consist of a written test or do you sit down with a quack...or is it both? Also, if I understand correctly, you only do the psych eval if you do well the first day right?

The Psyche eval consists of both. IF you get thru the first day, you are given the conditional job offer pending the psyche eval and medical exam on day two.

The psyche exam was a true/false questionare with around 700 questions at the Delta headquarters. Once completed, the results are given to the psyche on P'tree St, and he sits down to talk to you for about 20 minutes..

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back