DAL pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gen. Lee,

I agree with the majority of your posts, although I'd go Americn made with a brand new Corvette (although most of the parts are made in Asia)

Raising a stink to the MEC would probably get the views changed so that maybe we could allow DAL pilots hiring at Comair..the only problem I would see is that they're are probably many more DAL guys furloughed than Comair would have room for...But then again its probably based more on the principle of allowing those guys aboard, than actually having you all come here..I suppose their probably wouldn't be that many who would voluntarily move down to the RJ...heck the unemployment pay has to be more than FO pay here first year...

But atleast the option would be alot nicer than getting the door slammed in your face like our MEC did...I only hope I could fly a '67, with multiple Flight Attendant options.:D

Unfortunately my 6 short months here leave me with little stink raising ability, and even less idea as to where to go to raise my stink, except under my sheets at night...(a good women always enjoys being tented in the middle of the night)...But if givin the right time or place I'd go to bat for you all.

CRJ Flyer,

Well, I understand that your are junior and raising a stink may not help while on probation---so don't do anything risky. Maybe tell your friends that aren't on probation to maybe talk to your leadership. ASA has only hired 13 of our pilots (with 1015 on furlough)---but it was the thought that counts, and they were rewarded with an agreement on future hiring. That is better than nothing. I also understand your liking of the new Corvette--it does look nice. My fear is that the top 100 guys on your senority list are too proud to be FO's on MD88's and want more---more than what is possible at this time. Would you like to fly an MD88 or 737-800 someday with the good chance to move up to 757 or 767 later? If you would, tell a friend to talk to somebody. And, yes, on a 767 there are a lot of flt attendants---.

ACE,

Would you be whining if you were furloughed for no fault of your own (knowing you had a No Furlough Clause that somehow didn't apply here??) and some carrier owned by your own would not help you out when hiring 40-50 a month? It is stupid and you are jealous. The ASA pilots get some sort of preferential hiring when this is all over and you do not. Don't whine when you see the ASA guys you met in ATL or DFW waving down at you ( because of height---not ego) from a 767 in 5-6 years. Unless you are one of those top 100 guys who is ruining it for everyone else, then you will probably be retired at a golf course in Akron, OH. I don't remember whining while writing out a check each month during your strike. I wanted you to win, and it didn't happen. Now you can't help our guys/girls who were not making the "big bucks" at the time, and might want to fly at the BOTTOM of your list. There really is no excuse. And, the Porsche metophor I used was to show that the furloughed guys will eventually be back and probably able to afford one eventually. I am sure some Comair pilots could afford them too. It is all about priorities in life. Your MEC is trying to stand his ground for all of you, but look how he did during your strike. Guess what? He's not helping you this time either.

Bye Bye--General Lee:eek:

I get the impression that you people are confused about what an MEC's duties are to the pilots they represent. They are not there to act as AIR INC. people. The MEC's duties have nothing to do with who my next employer would be if I chose to leave. They are responsible for representing the pilots as it pertains to there current job at our Airline.
This is why scope and list integration were brought up during the meeting. It was there "DUTY" to raise these concerns, because these are things that effect our careers and daily lives as Comair pilots.
I here all this talk about our BAD MEC, but if they did not attempt to make our careers better as Comair pilots, not as maybe, possibly, Delta pilots one day, but as Comair pilots, the ones they represent, then they would have slipped and then we would of had reason to be upset.

Well said!

Good post Fellowaviator!

The line that crosses into a DFR (duty of fair-representation) lawsuit is a delicate one indeed.

Scope and job-security issues are what ALPA is all about.

Jobs is Job #1.

Just my opinion from the outside looking in (wishing I was on the inside looking out) ;)

-Otto P.

AFellowaviator,

I think you seem to miss the point. Delta pilots are frustrated that they helped Comair pilots in their time of need (their strike) and that they will not return the favor, a favor that would not affect them at all. You are right when you say that the MEC has the duty to help their pilots achieve the best lifestyle they can, while looking out for their jobs. Well, I don't remember the Comair MEC ever turning away the thousands of dollars other ALPA pilots were giving them during their strike. They took it and helped pay bills, eat, etc. Well, now our 1000+ pilots are out on the street and Comair is hiring 40-50 a month. Where would our guys go at Comair? The bottom. Seems fair to me, but not them.
ASA is allowing it, and Comair is not. IS this clear to you yet? When someone is in a time of need, hopefully people would step up to the plate. ASA did, even if it was for only a fraction of the pilots. Atleast they showed an effort. Sure, the Comair MEC isn't there to help them find a job after Comair, and so far he is ensuring that they probably won't go to Delta when things turn around. The ASA MEC, Bob Arnold, is ensuring that there will be movement at ASA when things turn around because their pilots will be getting interviews at Delta. That is a lot better than having no chance to interview. And who can they blame it on over there at Comair? Answer: Their MEC.

Bye Bye----General Lee:cool:

General Lee,

I fly for Comair and agree with most of what your saying. I do support the hiring of Delta pilots to our lists. Just because I myself have also been furloughed. And it would be a nice gesture from one fellow pilot to another.

I've been following the business aspect of commercial aviation since 1985 and I'm pretty up to date with it's entire history. One thing I will tell your for sure is Delta mainline will be smaller ten years from now. Look at the facts of the Industry. Look at what's going on in Congress. Airline losses are massive and real. There is absolutely no way Delta is going to lose money at the expense of scope. I don't care what the language is. Alpa had a chance to nip the RJ problem in the butt back in 91. They were short sighted in their views and now, well I don't have to tell you what happened. I would love to make 250K a year but I realize airlines are in business for customers and not for cushy pilot jobs.

The Business traveler, as we knew them from the late 90's are gone forever. Delta, along with other hub and spoke carriers have to change or they will die over time some sooner some later.

General Lee, I like your name!

Your rersponse to my post was expected, but IMO did not lessen what I said. Our MEC is there to better OUR lives as Comair Pilots, period. Our MEC is not there to look out for the well being of another airlines Pilots. They entered the meeting with one thing in mind, the Comair pilots. All emotion aside, that was there DUTY.
If there actions upset you, so be it. They are not concerned about your feelings. There duty, by law if I might add, is to better the working conditions of the Comair pilots through what ever means made available to them.
We had plenty of our pilots get hired at Delta and when the hiring starts again, we will have plenty get hired there again. All these threats are meaningless. Just as meaningless as a preff. hiring proposal. Delta is riding the "single carrier" fence, and is not going to agree to a preff. hiring agreement between Delta and either Comair or ASA.
I am sorry any one is furloughed. My best buddy is close at Delta, and it would hurt me to see him furloughed, but I do not see my MEC as the ones who should be held accountable for the Delta pilots problems.

"Our MEC is there to better OUR lives as Comair Pilots, period. Our MEC is not there to look out for the well being of another airlines Pilots. They entered the meeting with one thing in mind, the Comair pilots. All emotion aside, that was there DUTY."

Oh, and this from the guy who SLAMMED ACA pilots for not stretching out our negotiations for the sake of CMR pilots. The shoe is on the other foot now isn't it?

AFELLOWAVIATOR, if I may ask a question.... how is hiring furloughed ALPA brothers and sisters from the mainline detrimental to your career if they go straight to the bottom of your seniority list?

Attrition? You just nipped that one by saying that lots of pilots went to Delta when they were hiring, no difference here.

Politics? These people couldn't vote or alter anything for at least a year, and even then... how would an opinion differ from a Delta furloughee to a young 24 year old horndog CRJFlyer who aspires to fly 767 loaded with flight attendants? Furloughees are going there for sure, and CRJFlyer is going where there are more "options." :D
The bottom line is no difference.

Job protection? I truly believe that CMR and ASA need to merge in order for you guys to be heard or get a meaningful scope. Anything less, you get a current whipsaw, and that's bad for everyone involved. However, I don't see DALPA as your enemy in all this.

My .02 cents

ACA TERRY,

What you refered to is a common practice in the Airline industry called "PATTERN BARGAINING". ACA did nothing to promote it.

What you said did absolutely nothing to lessen my point. My MEC's duty when they entered that meeting was to represent the Comair Pilots, period. It was, and never has been to secure future positions for us. That is the fact that you conviently over looked in your post.
If they did not bring up the things that they did, THEN we would of had some thing to be upset about.

Latest resources

Back