DAL pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyingDawg said:
Any truth to the rumor that DAL MEC told the Comair MEC that military buddies would still be favored over ASA/Comair if Comair MEC took the deal? If thats the case then preferential hiring isn't really preferential.

The DAL MEC simply stated that they could not agree that ALL pilots would come from DCI carriers. He wanted to have provisions that would allow military pilots and pilots from other national carriers to get hired at Delta without having to go to Comair or ASA first. This problem could easily be fixed with some sort of hiring ratio set up in the flow-through or pref hiring agreement. Say 5 DCI pilots get the job for every non-DCI pilot. (Just a random number, not sure what the MEC would consider fair.) I don't see why that should be a deal breaker. Delta has a long tradition of hiring military pilots and they aren't going to stop with a pref hiring agreement just because the CMR MEC wants it that way. You have to give a little guys.

avratdwc said:
CRJ,

As far as being another young guy like you I honestly have to say that I agree with what you say. I would also not give anyone the time of day if I got stopped in a bar after a long day and got lectured on who I work for and how I am screwing everyone. Let me please say this. My personal feeling, and correct me if I am wrong, when someone has put alot of time, effort, and money into there dreams they will only look at the glory of finally getting to that "big jet" when an HR rep says "Hey wanna fly a XXX for us and make gobs more money etc", that person at the point in time will not be thinking about the bad sides of it. A guy I fly corp. with told me that there is no more stability in the airlines now a days than corp. and thats true. However if you get a bad hand of cards please dont take it out on someone that is just trying to pay the bills. I am going to imagine that alot of the unfortunates out there where in the same shoes at one point. Eventhough it is off the subject I am curious to hear from a pilot that was at the bottom of the list at COEX and got burned because mainline pilots came back. Like I said guys and gals, I may be talking pure Bu@&sh*t here but they are just my opinions and I dont mean to offend anyone. CYA

Like you and Crjflyer, I am not "old" I am 29 and was hired by Delta at age 27. It just is a little upsetting to see the "new" generation of pilots strive to stop at a regional.

I don't know too many baseball players who said "I just want to make it to the AAA league"

Or the doctor who said "I just want to be an intern for the rest of my career"

For everyone but these two "young" guys, please don't take this as a slam on the regionals. All I am saying is that there is a new realm of guys saying "I have no intention of leaving my regional" or " I never wanted to go to a major" and I wonder where this new way of thinking came from. When I dreamed about flying as a kid, all I ever wanted to do was fly big airplanes around the world. I guess the pilots who do want to go to a major will never have to worry about you guys.

By the way Crjflyer, I can put up 395 at the old age of 29

Last edited:
I'm one of the "young guys" on the line at Comair who will supposedly suffer in the future. I didn't vote or have a say in any of this...are you that blinded that you honestly believe we all back what happened. In fact, myself and presumably a large majority on both sides had no idea that this "meeting" even took place until people started b^tching about it here. The guys like CRJflyer and redsoxfan represent the "unrepresented" voice at our company. So...you can "buy" what's real or what's spun. Regardless, this is all just political spin and an excellent example of how the "loud" few can manipulate a situation to make fire out of a spark.

When this incredible dust cloud settles in the next few years, it will be my personal choice whether or not to move on to a major and my responsibility to apply and prepare myself accordingly. It will be my hard work, determination, wit and persistance that will get me to the next step...not so much what company I worked for.

Last edited:
NYRANGERS - good post. I'm glad that people are seeing that there is a whole other group out there that wants very much to move on to the majors and has very little "voice" at the moment.

Hmm. 175 at the max for me...oh well.

From PCL:
-------------------
Say 5 DCI pilots get the job for every non-DCI pilot. (Just a random number, not sure what the MEC would consider fair.) I don't see why that should be a deal breaker.
-------------------

Something must be wrong with me! I'm agreeing with this guy.
Must be something in the water.
:D

5 out of 6 sounds fair to me also.

The best agreement is one where EVERYONE feels that they got hosed.

"I don't care if I lose - as long as they don't win."

Avratdwc,

Sure there are a lot of "unfortunates" out there, but Delta owns Comair and ASA, and ASA is allowing Delta guys to go there without giving up their senority. Obviously Delta wasn't mad about that and allowed it to happen. What is Comair's excuse? Ummmmm, it would cost too much...(to Comair and not ASA??) There really is no excuse. Sure, there are some scope problems with Delta Alpa and Comair---but if I remember right we just gave in and bumped up the percentages from 36% to 44% of our flying---which is HUGE. That was probably 300 free upgrades on the RJ. I know that you guys are profitable right now and that helps, but you are not as restricted anymore. I know you said you were a young guy and might not care as much as other people. Wait until you are in your mid thirties, have two kids and a wife, a house near CVG--and it's time for more. A second year Delta pilot makes more than a 12 year Comair Capt (unless he is furloughed). That will not change, ever. And the COEX problem is different than the Delta Comair one. The bottom guys at COEX probably went to COEX at the time ( pre-9-11) because there was a Flow-up to CAL. They knew there was a chance of a flow back. There is no chance any Comair guy will get bumped from their spot----the Delta furloughs would go to the BOTTOM. There is no excuse. And now the ASA guys will get some sort of preferential hiring---along with military guys. Hey, I flew for a regional, and half of my class at Delta was military. That seems fair.

Bye Bye---General Lee:cool:

Ahh.. a fellow lifter, thats good to hear...but I wasn't talking about squatting...haha j/j

With all due respect to everyone, Delta or not, I'm all for hiring anybody, and I definitely didn't get to put in a vote as to whether or not Comair hires DAL... If it came down to a vote i would definitely vote to have DAL pilots come onto Comair, and so would everyone else I've talked to(as long as they would be atleast somewhat happy to be here and not condescending, I haven't witnessed it but I heard that alot of the Midway guys were that way when they first got here)....the more on the seniority list the better...But then I think you have some of the old grumpies over at Comair that for some reason or another want to screw Delta, and they are the ones with the vote I guess...

I'm not sure if its a new generation, but I'm pretty sure back in the day the regionals didn't have the equipment they do now..I loved the 1900 but don't think I could have spent more than a few more years in it. Maybe that is why more people are staying at the regional level now than before...that and the majors haven't hired in over a year and a half..

CRJFlyer said:
Ahh.. a fellow lifter, thats good to hear...but I wasn't talking about squatting...haha j/j

Good comeback. LOL

With all due respect to everyone, Delta or not, I'm all for hiring anybody, and I definitely didn't get to put in a vote as to whether or not Comair hires DAL... If it came down to a vote i would definitely vote to have DAL pilots come onto Comair, and so would everyone else I've talked to(as long as they would be atleast somewhat happy to be here and not condescending, I haven't witnessed it but I heard that alot of the Midway guys were that way when they first got here)....the more on the seniority list the better...But then I think you have some of the old grumpies over at Comair that for some reason or another want to screw Delta, and they are the ones with the vote I guess...

I'm not sure if its a new generation, but I'm pretty sure back in the day the regionals didn't have the equipment they do now..I loved the 1900 but don't think I could have spent more than a few more years in it. Maybe that is why more people are staying at the regional level now than before...that and the majors haven't hired in over a year and a half..

I don't think any Dal guy would be anthing but grateful to be able to fly for an outfit like comair, otherwise I hope they would not try to go there.

I know what you mean about guys talking **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** to eachother, and it has to stop. The job we all do is no different, we just work for different companys. I must say I have quite a few friends at comair that I would love to see at Delta, but with what is going on I see a problem arising for comair guys when we hire.

I was reading my previous posts and see I may not have correctly clarified myself earlier....

DAL737FO
" I don't care" ....was supposed to mean..."the topic is all I hear being talked about and since we at Comair didn't get a vote, or didn't even know the vote was taking place, or that any offer was even on the table I have trouble understanding why the hostility between pilots is exhisting when we should be aiming our focus towards the person or persons who actually sat at the table.

"I fly for fun" didn't mean I would do this job for free..it was supposed to mean that I want to enjoy my job, have a good time doing it, and like coming to work...Trust me I don't want to work, hate my job, retire at 60 and die at age 62...

In the end I wish for Delta pilots to come to Comair..heck maybe they could even get me up there one day with a recommendation...I also want to fly for for maybe not a major but fly a bigger plane atleast...if its for a major awesome, but if its for some upstart airline, that may be ok too...

NYRanger,
It is gonna be too bad if things between DAL and Comair remain this way...alot of good people will miss out, both us at Comair and even at Delta cause they may miss a chance to fly with some good guys...well, mostly me but, I'm trying to keep my head from getting stuck in the doorway...ha...well actually the FA's will miss the chance...oh that was a good one..I'll leave on that one..:cool:

If it had gone to a vote by the Comair pilots it would have passed with a higher percent than the last POS which is now our contract. Some times you have to take the high road and do what is right and in my opinion, our MEC failed to do that.

JC (the MEC) chairman is a pure politician through and through and I still believe that he thinks that DAL MEC will come back to negotiate something.... This is the same MEC that made me do the EMB and CRJ groundschools back to back for no other reason than to use it as a bargaining chip during negotiations.... and all for nothing.

Our MEC does their best for the Comair pilots, but I think that in this case what should have been a black and white issue was once again thought of as a bargaining chip.

To the DAL furloughees that wanted to come to Comair, my sincerest appologies... please direct your aggrevations to the correct place (not the pilot group that was unaware of the meeting until after the fact)

COMAIR MEC
AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL
SUITE 120 3940 OLYMPIC BOULEVARD ERLANGER, KY 41018
859-282-9016
FAX 859-283-5533

Latest resources

Back