DAL Parking 40 to 50 jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FBN0223

So we are parking 40-50 jets this year. Yes, we knew this. Not trying to be negative just real. How could this not lead to furloughs at an airline with almost zero attrition and that has yet to capitalize on many efficiencies that would streamline our route system?

There has to be more to avoiding furloughs than just the arrival of more B777s and a furlough clause. Anyone have any good staffing data? and what the effect of parking these aircraft will do to this year's staffing requirements?

i had a fed on my JS a few weeks ago and he said that there was to be expected a furlough of approx 3000 guys from the combined list. He was an early retirement from DL before getting on with the FAA.

RV

What would the staffing level be for the 747-200F's? 30 pilots per aircraft?

Also, Delta predicting 2009 mainline ASM's to be down 6-8% year over year. And the breakdown of those cuts are 10-12% domestic and 5-7% international. So does Delta just fly the pilots less per month to prevent the training cost of multiple bumps if furloughs/downgrades were to occur?

What is DL parking? The NW Cargo 747's in ANC?

The 742 op is 296~300 pilots. In effect a zero sum with the DAL staffing model.

We will be parking the 9 30 and 40 series.
Probably the 757 series 5500 if the rumors are true
They want to park the 767-300 domestic birds sometime in the future. (21)
Looking at parking 88 in a one for one with the 90. Route guys want it to be growth, but flt ops says one for one, so the jury is out on this one. I bet they will be growth.
I know of four ER's that are at VCV.
Of the jets at VCV most of the 757's and ER's that are there will be coming back when the economy improves. That will probably lead to a zero sum on the 757's.

Also with hubs everywhere, our netting effect on cities will require smaller aircraft. Not good for the paycheck. Long term we will probably get rid of one North and One South hub, or just make them RJ meccas. (DTW might be this sooner rather than later)

Sad to hear about the RJ mecca possibility.. I guess some boys will be happy at Shuttle America.

3000? Yeah right. That is 25% of the list.

Worst case I can see 1000.

So which is it? Overstaffed?...or worst case 1,000 furloughs?

Let me guess... DL/NW mgt will be gleefully spitting out whatever pilots want to hear, until Summer flying is over (preventing any summertime "shenanigans,") THEN the hammer will fall!

(Like the full amount of ANC flying will just ALL end at ONCE on 12-31 then everyone starts training AT ONCE....RIGHT. Strange this announcement was made AFTER the APA came out for NW, and NONE of the ANC people were affected in it). Yeeah

Last edited:
Sad to hear about the RJ mecca possibility.. I guess some boys will be happy at Shuttle America.

No growth news in these parts...

I could see a variety of DAL Rj's moving out of ATL and into some of these "RJ Meccas", but I don't forsee anyone doing Delta Connection flying benefiting from this at all, unless you consider your third base closure/displacement in 4 years a benefit.

Latest resources

Back