DAL & NWA Recall Guesses?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Velvet Jones

Anybody care to make a guess as to when Delta and Northwest might be in a position to start a recall of pilots? I suppose that both companies must feel like moving forward with things now that both have gained concessions from the pilots. Yes, it would only be a GUESS, but I am interested in hearing what people think.

NWA pilots think everyone will be back by the end of this year. Management thinks all pilots will be back by the end of next year. Either way NWA will be hiring in late 2007 or early 2008. Given another diasaster doesn't happen to this industry.

YourPilotFriend said:
NWA pilots think everyone will be back by the end of this year. Management thinks all pilots will be back by the end of next year. Either way NWA will be hiring in late 2007 or early 2008. Given another diasaster doesn't happen to this industry.

I think that is wildly unrealistic, unless you count hiring into Compass. If you are talking main line, recalls will likely start early next year, or possibly late this year depending on the outcome of 1110 lease negotiations, marketing, and aircraft deliveries.

We have 703 on furlough - there in no way you can say with any certainty they will all be back and we will be off the street hiring by 07/08. Possibility - maybe, although I would hesitate to attach any numerical probability to it, and you are doing the furloughed pilots a disservice IMO by raising this expectation until we know more of what the future holds.

Last edited:
There will be a lot who are not coming back also, they have found other jobs in the last 5 years, they are approaching their late 40's and may not want to go back to the bottom of a seniority list again. Particularly at the new pay.

pilotyip said:
There will be a lot who are not coming back also, they have found other jobs in the last 5 years, they are approaching their late 40's and may not want to go back to the bottom of a seniority list again. Particularly at the new pay.

Last time we had recalls we had almost a 30% bypass rate. Imagine it will be higher this time, however we never reached the cutoff where everyone was recalled and you either had to come back or giive up your number. We recently passed a bypass recall clause in our contract that allows bypasses for up to 4 yrs past the last pilot recalled and still keep your number

Last edited:
It would be great for the industry if other Legacy carriers besides CAL start hiring, even if it's just a little.

All part of the coming hiring boom and pilot shortage

pilotyip said:
For every major job, there will be at least 2 regional pilots applying for it, that is not a shortage of pilots where it counts. It's also not likely that the regionals will be able to use a pilot shortage to their advantage anyway. Since the regionals have a pilot shortage right now and most are negotiating or about to negotiate concessions.

pilotyip said:

YIP, I might believe you on the boom, but not the shortage.

YourPilotFriend said:
For every major job, there will be at least 2 regional pilots applying for it, that is not a shortage of pilots where it counts. It's also not likely that the regionals will be able to use a pilot shortage to their advantage anyway. Since the regionals have a pilot shortage right now and most are negotiating or about to negotiate concessions.

Movement, even if slight and slow is better than nothing (like the last 5 years). For every Major job, I'm sure there will be at least 10 people trying for it and 100 wanting it. I would think a large percentage of senior regional guys might consider staying at their carrier. Better schedule, QOL, about the same pay, and job security (somewhat).

I don't really believe there is a pilot shortage on the regional level right now and if there was, it wouldn't make sense for a company to be asking for concessions. Anyway the first 5 year payrates at the majority would not even cover the interest part to my mortgage. Working there is not even an option for me.

Latest resources

Back