DAL New Hire Demographic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fr8r

I'm curious as to who has been hired at DAL? Prior 121... major or regional? 135 charter? Fractional Pilots? Corporate? Cargo? Military? What is the current preference if any?

Or is it all about internal recommendations?

Thanks I know that this is a tough one to answer... I'm just trying to figure my chances of getting a call.

look at where the pilots are. there are less mil pilots than pre 911. plus more are opting to stay in the mil or go other paths than the traditional mil to 121 because of the post 911 state of the airlines and what this career has become. same with corp or 135. corp seems to be holding well in terms of job quality but there are less 135 gigs than 10 or 20 years ago thus less 135 pilots (not counting fracs). that leaves 121 regional/commuter guys who were the bulk in the "mini-boom" 07/08 hiring and will continue to be the bulk in the next hiring phase (2011ish and on).

my prediction going forward (for majors in general) is that 60 to 65% will be regional/commuter, 30 mil and 5-10% other (135/91corp).

when hiring starts mil and 121 pic RJ guys will get top billing. then jet 91 PIC followed by 121 time (regional/commuter) FO's w/ an ATP who haven't upgraded yet. The bottom will be 121 or 135 FO's with just a comm multi.

the majority of the hires is always turbine pic - mil or 121 turb PIC being the best quals followed closely by 91 turb pic.

so if you are:

mil - get a/c commander (or whatever they call it) time
121 - upgrade to PIC and get time
corp - move to the CA seat and be the one responsible for the aircraft
135 - same as above

Become a Minority...Like it or not, Delta has adopted the old United hiring practices.

That's BS. I know of a female that was hired at UAL with just over 600 hours TT, about 50 of that ME. I still have the FAPA magazine that gave her statistics. I challenge you to show me anyone hired at Delta who is even close to that low in hours.

Last edited:
Femal is a portmanteau. It is a combination of the words feral and female.
Feral, meaning escaped domestication and reintroduced to a wild or partly wild environment. Much like say, a feral child.

So a femal is most likely a woman who has been raised by wolves.

Become a Minority...Like it or not, Delta has adopted the old United hiring practices.

that's bs, have you seen the new hire classes? granted a few more women the the "norm" but other than that the same 6' 180 lb white male with brown hair as the past. I think DAL even considers blonds as an minority... lol

Latest resources

Back