• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crjdxr

DL's labor costs are "are still uncompetitive."

Whoops....

Full article here: http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650197469,00.html

"The day we filed, we had over $20 billion in debt, much of it accumulated over the last five to six years as we were trying to stave off a court filing," Bastian said. He added that despite "significant head-count reductions, concessions" and other cuts to Delta's benefit structure, its employee costs and labor costs "are still uncom- petitive." (emphasis/bolding mine)

Last edited:
Bastian said the airline is still fighting to fix its revenue problems. Currently, the airline's revenues represent about 93 percent of the industry's average, up from 85 percent a year earlier.

Hmmmm, maybe this is the real problem.

But the airline's financial problems led to an even bigger issue, Bastian said, as Delta's service took a back seat to other carriers in the market.
Maybe you could charge more if your service didn't totally suck ass (that's an industry term). So what's the solution? Move more flight's per day to ATL and JFK, you say? Good idea. Hmmmm, I wondor why people aren't willing to pay more for these flights. I mean, you are consistantly late and you heard the people through over-crouded corridors like cattle. Why wouldn't Joe Passenger want to do that. Heck there's even a chance that they get a chance to spend the night in beautiful Atlanta, GA, because they missed a connection or their flight was canceled. What other airline offers that?

Tell me about the flood at JFK of Delta Jets and regional partners. Today it took us 1 hour and 5 minutes to taxi and takeoff from JFK at 3 in the afternoon!!! 31L had about 20+ arrivals of Delta 757s, 767s, CRJ-200s and even some Dash 8s in the mix. I don't care if they ramp up service at JFK, what I do care about is the fact that they continue to land them on the sole departing runway while 20+ jets wait to take off, many of whom were transcons and oceanic. What did Delta do, pay off the ATC controllers at JFK? Land them on 31R like everybody else-- even if the line goes out to the Hamptons...

Tell me about the flood at JFK of Delta Jets and regional partners. Today it took us 1 hour and 5 minutes to taxi and takeoff from JFK at 3 in the afternoon!!! 31L had about 20+ arrivals of Delta 757s, 767s, CRJ-200s and even some Dash 8s in the mix. I don't care if they ramp up service at JFK, what I do care about is the fact that they continue to land them on the sole departing runway while 20+ jets wait to take off, many of whom were transcons and oceanic. What did Delta do, pay off the ATC controllers at JFK? Land them on 31R like everybody else-- even if the line goes out to the Hamptons...

That is the reason they added so many RJs and Dash 8s to JFK, to slow you guys down. And, Bastain was talking about Comair's costs. His statements were before the stews made the recent deal. Whitehurst, the likely successor to Grinstein, told everyone in attendance at the CVG performance speech (about 1 month ago) that there would be no more paycuts for mainline. We'll see.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Whitehurst, the likely successor to Grinstein, told everyone in attendance at the CVG performance speech (about 1 month ago) that there would be no more paycuts for mainline.

That promise and a buck two fitty will buy you a shiny new bauble on the streets of Tijuana! !Arriba! !Arriba!

BLUE BAYOU. Its been a while sense I was an ATC liaison but I'm pretty sure ATC gives preference to A/C in flight over those on the ground.So if the normal landing R/W has has backed up so much they are out of airspace they will use the departing R/W for arrivals.

Whitehurst, the likely successor to Grinstein, told everyone in attendance at the CVG performance speech (about 1 month ago) that there would be no more paycuts for mainline. We'll see.

After how quickly ALPA folded? Round 2 will come shortly after his arrival.

I think JFK could be run much better. BOS has planes all over the place, and JFK seems strained to even use 2 of its 4 runways.

Latest resources

Back