Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL labor costs are "are still uncompetitive."

That's great guys. How many people live in ANC anyway? 150,000? In the Summer it goes up, but not most of the year. You guys do rule the world, so maybe you will take over ANC and kick some Alaska Airlines Arse. Go for it. I can't wait to see it....... So what if Alaska Air has connections to every city in Alaska, and carries the motherload of cargo on their new all cargo 737-400s. Nah, they don't know what they are doing up there, and SWA is successful in every market, just like IAH to DAL. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Grow up man. If it look to be profitable, SWA will likely go there. I am not knocking any other carriers service. It is not about kicking anyone elses behind, but meeting a demand for a service at a profit.

Bastian's comments earlier in that same paragraph (discussing the then pre-bankruptcy environment) were clearly past tense. His comments regarding labor costs were, as quoted, in the present tense. Bad slip of the tongue?

It is good that Whitehurst cleared it up.

From Whitehursts Oct 11 online chat.

Q.Yesterday an article quoted Ed Bastian as saying at the Aviation Forecast Conference that our "employee costs and labor costs are still uncompetitive". By what measure is this statement made? After all we have given it is disheartening to read quotes like this time and time again. We have nothing left to give.

Jim Whitehurst: I think that was taken out of context. He was referring to where our costs were in September 2005 when we filed for bankruptcy. Given the sacrifices you have all made since that time, costs are competitive now.

Grow up man. If it look to be profitable, SWA will likely go there. I am not knocking any other carriers service. It is not about kicking anyone elses behind, but meeting a demand for a service at a profit.

Hey, I understand what SWA could do and what they will do. I just think it would be a lost cause, and many other airlines, including mine, have figured that out on that particular route. If SWA wants to try it, good luck. I just doubt they will succeed, and I am allowed to do that. Grow up? I can't bring up a debate on here? Is that childish? I guess it is.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The only thing full here is you...of you know what. Delta can't hold SWA's jock. Atlanta is a toilet, Delta treats its customers like they have headlice, and the whole concept of transporting people AND their luggage is foreign to them. Dont Expect Luggage To Arrive!

Wow, that was wonderful. I need to copy that and send it to my grandparents. Oh wait, they are dead. I will still send it to them.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

You do yourself a disservice by stooping down to a lower level.

Stay above the fray.

The reality is costs have come down at the majors. And the sweet deals the regionals (managements not employees) have had will get renegotiated to tighter or non-existant margins. This all spells more competition for the LCCs. But its not coming up all roses. The debt, or leverage, at many majors is like having an albatross around your neck. Expenses in other areas have to be lower just to make the interest payments and keep overall costs in line. The next few years will be tough.

As for whether or not SWA is Alaska bound. That is funny. More than likely it's propaganda being spread to keep real SWA moves under wraps.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back