DAL junior Pilots sold down the river by NEW MEC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Deadend

New MEC just signed off on scope relief to the company on the 76 seat overage of airplanes. They got us "Furlough" protection. We all know that it will not hold up. But we will NEVER get that scope back. Great job MEC

Agreed to allow the Company to shred the scope clause, because we would have won in arbitration anyway.

Unbelievable.

Typically, barring a negotiated settlement, grievances are eventually decided by binding
arbitration before a neutral third party, often at a point well into the future. While the
Association feels confident that our interpretation of Section 1 B. 40. d. and e. is correct,
there always remain several elements of risk whenever an issue is decided through
arbitration.
After a number of face-to-face meetings and careful consideration, the parties reached a
Settlement Agreement which mitigates the litigation risks but more importantly confirms
the Association’s interpretation of the PWA and provides real and meaningful additional
furlough protection for hundreds of the most vulnerable pilots on our seniority list, very
similar to protections already available to more senior pilots.
The Settlement Agreement provides that:

The Company will agree to the Association’s interpretation of Section 1 B. 40.
d. and e. but provides a one-time exception to this interpretation allowing the
Company to operate up to 153 * 76-seat jets so long as the Company does not
furlough any pilot on the integrated system seniority list as of February 9, 2009,
the date the agreement was signed. With agreement on the interpretation of
Section 1 B. 40. d. and e, any further increase above 153 76-seat jets will
require substantial mainline fleet growth. For example, for the Company to add
a 154th 76-seat jet, the mainline would have to be comprised of 768 mainline
jets. Today the mainline fleet consists of 753 aircraft.

If the Company does furlough any pilot on the Integrated System Seniority List,
then the Company will physically remove six passenger seats from the number
of 76-seat jets (in service, undergoing maintenance and operational spares) that
exceeds the authorized number of 76-seat jets under the Association’s
interpretation of Section 1 B. 40. d. and e.

While the Company will have 90 days from the first furlough to physically
remove the seats, such seats will become immediately unusable for any purpose
upon the furlough of the very first pilot on the list.
It’s important to understand that the agreement is a settlement over an issue of scope
language interpretation and not an issue of “scope relief.” Scope language is intended to
protect pilot jobs. This agreement enhances job protections for Delta pilots. There has
been no change to the scope language in our contract, and this settlement will not
increase the number of regional jet hulls; it simply codifies the number of seats that will
be allowed in up to 26 of those aircraft. It allows up to a total of 156 seats throughout the
system (26 aircraft x 6 seats per airplane = 156) in exchange for furlough protections for
hundreds of Delta pilots and their families and definitive agreement on the contractual
language moving forward. Further, this agreement does not increase the ceiling on the
total number of 70-seat/76-seat jets permitted by Section 1 B. 40. That number remains
at 255, and with 153 76-seat jets, the total of 70/76-seat jets will be 224 while the overall
number of all regional jets has decreased substantially over the past year.
The presentation used to describe this Settlement Agreement to the MEC is available as a
PDF document on the Contract Administration Committee page of the Delta MEC
website (Public) to provide you with additional information on the
agreement.

I just love the absolute BS "spin" the union had the gall to put out in their email:

"It’s important to understand that the agreement is a settlement over an issue of scope language [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]interpretation [/FONT]and [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]not [/FONT]an issue of "scope relief." Scope language is intended to protect pilot jobs. This agreement enhances job protections for Delta pilots. There has been no change to the scope language in our contract, and this settlement will [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]not [/FONT]increase the number of regional jet hulls; it simply codifies the number of seats that will be allowed in up to 26 of those aircraft."

The company was limited to a certain number of 76 seat jets. The union just allowed them to go over that amount by almost 30 additional 76-seat jets. That is scope relief pure and simple. They just allowed the potential parking of even more DC-9's. I don't care that the total number of RJ's did not increase. They are allowing more 76-seat jets to exist.

DAL/NWA alpa has proven once again that they are utterly incapable of preserving scope protections. The company says "boo" and they pee their pants. RA must be laughing his rear-end off.

Ask any of the roughly 2000 pilots at both DAL and NWA that were furloughed after 9-11 how that useless no-furlough clause worked out for them. Sure glad the union got an "improvement" in it in exchange for this.

Last edited:
hey junior DAL guys, check out the rim job us midwest pilots (ALL of us) will get if "silent" investor DAL starts using our gates and slots out of MKE with RJ's.

our MEC has REPEATEDLY warned DAL's only to be given the cold shoulder.

Oh WOW, I now have furlough protection. Big F'ing deal. My friend had furlough protection with the C2K contract. Ask him how it protected him for the 5 years he was furloughed. This "furlough protection" will be broken either in bankruptcy or another side letter. Good job MEC.

That's what you get for merging with the crappiest major in existence.... Not a good break, champ!

That's what you get for merging with the crappiest major in existence.... Not a good break, champ!

Which one?

BTW, I can speak from experience: the absolute ********************tiest, most aggravating, hair-pulling, should-have-called-in-sick, what-the-********************-am-I-doing-this-for, the FA's-didn't-warm-my-nuts-enough, great-I-have-to-fly-with-ATL's-Golden-Girls-again, oh-great-another-SVO-48-hr-layover-wonderful-there's-a-passenger-next-to-my-crew-rest-seat-I-guess-it's-steak-again- worst day at a major is better than my ohh-goody-I-get-to-fly-the-newest-Barbie-jet-I-hope-there-are-only-5-MEL's-where-the-********************-am-I-going-to-get-something-to-eat-on-this-20-minute-turn-five-leg-day-they-screwed-me-out-of-3-hours-on-my-last-paycheck-where-am-I-going-to-get-something-to-eat-at-5am-God-some-of-the-FO's-I-fly-with-can't-even-land-or-speak-English-dinner-at-Applebee's-again-is-this-the-first-day-of-the-rest-of-my-life-another-night-at-the-Holiday-Inn-Airport-will-I-ever-fly-to-Europe-will-I-ever-get-to-a-major-why-don't-major-airline-pilots-say-hello-or-is-it-just-my-own-insecurity best day at a regional.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back