DAL AE's, Junior Bases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly4hire

Looking at the combined list, I see a real downward dip in a handful of MD88A's almost into the 19% range. Was this just an AE fluke, or is this available if you don't mid being a bottom feeder reserve? What base?

BTW, for those comparing numbers and how you came out, in my case with 11yrs to age 60 it's the difference of retiring as a DC9/MD/737A vs. 75/76A .

Displaced DC9A now. Hope to get back. May as well get to my final happy place as quickly as possible and try and make up the $$.

Also is there any discussion of transitioning to the NW style APA position award system from the AE? Sure makes staffing adjustments and training flow easier to manage......

Last edited:
Fly4Hire:

I have little doubt you'll get back to the left seat very quickly and probably in the more highly powered version of your airplane with TV screens and poorly working VNAV.

The differences in bidding between the companies appears to be:
The NWA movement has been slower, so pilots bid into the max their seniority would hold over time.
The DAL movement has been more rapid and Delta pilots wait until they can hold schedules - and - due to the lower pay disparities a pilot could make much more as a senior FO than a junior Captain.

Also, my guess is that Delta pilots on average are not commuters, except for the former DFW pilots. Commuting on Delta has been difficult due to high load factors and RJ weight restrictions. It is my impression there are many more NWA commuters.

So to answer your question - a MD88A slot in a base like NY where pilots have to cover several airports is unpopular. The position was very close to being awarded to a DAL 2007 hire.

I'm not sure what the plan for the 88's is. After the DC9 it is the next least efficient jet in the airline (about where the new RJ's are at). There is a lot of talk about trying to collect the rest of the World's MD90's to grow the category by 100 to 130 jets, but it never seems to happen.

Thanks ~~~^~~~. Besides the occasional hyperbole on both sides I have appreciated your well thought out posts. I hope you are right. We're "all in" for better or worse now......damn the torpedoes....

Looking at the combined list, I see a real downward dip in a handful of MD88A's almost into the 19% range. Was this just an AE fluke, or is this available if you don't mid being a bottom feeder reserve? What base?

BTW, for those comparing numbers and how you came out, in my case with 11yrs to age 60 it's the difference of retiring as a DC9/MD/737A vs. 75/76A .

Displaced DC9A now. Hope to get back. May as well get to my final happy place as quickly as possible and try and make up the $$.

Also is there any discussion of transitioning to the NW style APA position award system from the AE? Sure makes staffing adjustments and training flow easier to manage......

Oh wait, you are not supposed to be thinking that way. You all got so screw with this merger, remember? we took all the retirements away from you all, remember??/

B.S., the fact of the matter is, you can all hold higher paying equipment than you did before this merger at the expense of the DAL pilots. It is total B.S. a DC9 displaced captain can hold NOW captain on a DAL A/C , totally unacceptable, so much for a fair merger. I know everybody wants to let go and play nice, but when you hear a NWA DC9 displaced capt drooling over a DAL 757 CPt slot, it brings it all back.

I think it's so funny the NWA pilots don't feel threaten by DAL jumping all over their bases and equipment. Yeah, NWA union did a heck of a job for their guys. What about us? Oh yeah, we got f#$^%K. One heck of a legacy you are leaving behind Lee.

Oh wait, you are not supposed to be thinking that way. You all got so screw with this merger, remember? we took all the retirements away from you all, remember??/

B.S., the fact of the matter is, you can all hold higher paying equipment than you did before this merger at the expense of the DAL pilots. It is total B.S. a DC9 displaced captain can hold NOW captain on a DAL A/C , totally unacceptable, so much for a fair merger. I know everybody wants to let go and play nice, but when you hear a NWA DC9 displaced capt drooling over a DAL 757 CPt slot, it brings it all back.

I think it's so funny the NWA pilots don't feel threaten by DAL jumping all over their bases and equipment. Yeah, NWA union did a heck of a job for their guys. What about us? Oh yeah, we got f#$^%K. One heck of a legacy you are leaving behind Lee.

Are you kidding? Listening to a Delta pilot complain about this list is laughable. You guys leap frogged tons of NWA pilots older and more experienced and you are still are not happy? Go cry at home and not on a public forum, my fiddle for you is so small I can't find it to play.

Last edited:
I know everybody wants to let go and play nice, but when you hear a NWA DC9 displaced capt drooling over a DAL 757 CPt slot, it brings it all back.

WTFAYTA? I cannot hold anything other than my displaced position (757B) right now. After SOC I might be able to bid bottom feeder MD88A somewhere, or displace into it if recalled on the DC9 and displaced again

I will never see 757A now unless I stay to 65, and probably not even then.

As to bidding anywhere (both sides) there still have to be vacancies, and there is no bump & flush other than displacements that both sides had before.

I can tell you are one of those tools who will be 10yrs junior to me in the right seat bitching that you should have been Captain. Grow up.

Last edited:
Are you kidding? Listening to a Delta pilot complain about this list is laughable. You guys leap frogged tons of NWA pilots older and more experienced and you are still are not happy? Go cry at home and not on a public forum, my fiddle for you is so small I can't find it to play.

You should be ashamed. Your pilot group is going to be displacing tons of DAL pilots out of our equipment and making us take huge pay cuts as a result, and you still complain. You all got a much bigger pay raise, better work rules, access to higher paying equipment, and on top of it all you get to keep your pension, with DAL funding it, and still not enough. That's what we can expect from you all. I can see it already:

NWA: Yeah I was a DC9 at NWA and damn you DAL pilots jumped in front of me.
DAL: Excuse me sir, you became a B76 captain 6 months after SOC,
NWA: so, what's your point kid?

WTFAYTA? I cannot hold anything other than my displaced position (757B) right now. After SOC I might be able to bid bottom feeder MD88A somewhere, or displace into it if recalled on the DC9 and displaced again

I will never see 757A now unless I stay to 65, and probably not even then.

As to bidding anywhere (both sides) there still have to be vacancies, and there is no bump & flush other than displacements that both sides had before.

I can tell you are one of those tools who will be 10yrs junior to me in the right seat bitching that you should have been Captain. Grow up.

Why do you feel entitled to hold MD88A. If at NWA you could only hope to end up as a DC9 cpt, why do you feel entitled to hold B76cpt as you mentioned on your original post. By the way, MD88A went to Dec00, so I am not sure how much more junior you could be than that.

We'll see what happens when they are start moving A/C around and it becomes an open bid. I am not sure the NWA narrow body pilots will want to stay away from the "little" widebodies.

I can tell you are one of those tools who will be 10yrs junior to me in the right seat bitching that you should have been Captain.

No I don't think I should be a captain, I just think I should be able to keep my equipment, and if displaced, I should be bumped by a DAL pilot, not a NWA pilot, and viceversa. I know totally unfair.

Jetjockey#1,

I can see your frustration, but tone it down a bit. It is fun to debate, but you are acting like a major sore loser, and you can't do anything about it. It is what it is. Some guys did well, and some guys on both sides did not. Regardless, there will be retirements over the next 5 years, and then another bunch about 5 years after that. Try to get on something acceptable to you, and ride it out.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Jetjockey#1,

I can see your frustration, but tone it down a bit. It is fun to debate, but you are acting like a major sore loser, and you can't do anything about it. It is what it is. Some guys did well, and some guys on both sides did not. Regardless, there will be retirements over the next 5 years, and then another bunch about 5 years after that. Try to get on something acceptable to you, and ride it out.

Bye Bye--General Lee

There will be very few retirements in the next five years. The only guys turning 65 are on the NWA side (ropes that went back to window seat), and there are only a handful. If pilots were going to retire, they would have done it before the merger. For some reason, pilots have a hard time letting go of this job.

Latest resources

Back