DA20 question(s)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

For the Falcon savy...

What is a garden variety balanced field length for the DA20?

MTOW for the 20F and the 200?

Is the aircraft truely t-con on average winds?

What is the silver bullet STC mod? Is this the Garrett re-engining?

Anyone out there flow both the steam gauge version and the Collins EFIS equipped birds?

What is the typical cruise TAS at a typical cruise alt?

Thanks all.

BLF 15C 4200' BFL 35C 4000' MSL 8000 F GTOW 28660, typical cruise CF-700 is .68, absolute dog above FL 350, stand on its back legs and howl.

no that is for a GE CF-700-2D engine, the Garrett AR engine is better at low altitude, but suffers under hihghhot and still labors to get in the high 30's. I hear the BR engine is a lot stronger.

pilotyip said:
BLF 15C 4200' BFL 35C 4000' MSL 8000 F GTOW 28660, typical cruise CF-700 is .68, absolute dog above FL 350, stand on its back legs and howl.

I think he means .78 Most the ones I flew could be worked up to 370 fairly easily but you really had to know what you were doing to get to 39 or 41, and by the time you got there you had traded off so much TAS it was almost never worth it. Dated technology and engines but still a blast to fly! :)

TheBaron said:
I think he means .78 Most the ones I flew could be worked up to 370 fairly easily but you really had to know what you were doing to get to 39 or 41, and by the time you got there you had traded off so much TAS it was almost never worth it. Dated technology and engines but still a blast to fly! :)
No, he means mach .68 http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/icons/icon24.gif- at least with the GEs. From what I remember, most of JUS's were hard pressed to mach .75 even at max power. As far as trans-con, not with the GE engines. It was a two-stop affair westbound, at max weight. East bound - yeah, you could probably make it with one stop if you picked it carefully.

Last edited:
iaflyer said:
No, he means mach .68 http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/icons/icon24.gif- at least with the GEs. From what I remember, most of JUS's were hard pressed to mach .75 even at max power. As far as trans-con, not with the GE engines. It was a two-stop affair westbound, at max weight. East bound - yeah, you could probably make it with one stop if you picked it carefully.

I didn't think anybody had maintenance as bad as where I was but if you only got .68 at FL350, yours truly sucked! I think someone switched your CF700's for some JT15-D's from a slowtation. We had 2D2's, filed for .75 and routinely flew .76 to .78

Last edited:
Baron, some info for you, our maintence is just fine, so everyone who has inspected us tells us, it is all part 121. We have a company imposed low crusie EGT's 640 normal and 670 with ice on. This allows our engine to go through a hot section with almost no parts replacement. Low speed saves engines. We have 2D engines because they last longer than 2D2's. Saving on engines saves money big time, which allows us to pay our pilots more. What other DA-20 cargo outfit starts their DA-20 F/O's at 35K? It is part of the big picture. I have had the CF-700-2D up to .82 but I had to run at 724 for a half hour that was done during a test portion of the RVSM certification.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Baron, some info for you, our maintence is just fine, so everyone who has inspected us tells us, it is all part 121. We have a company imposed low crusie EGT's 640 normal and 670 with ice on. This allows our engine to go through a hot section with almost no parts replacement. Low speed saves engines. We have 2D engines because they last longer than 2D2's. Saving on engines saves money big time, which allows us to pay our pilots more. What other DA-20 cargo outfit starts their DA-20 F/O's at 35K? It is part of the big picture. I have had the CF-700-2D up to .82 but I had to run at 724 for a half hour that was done during a test portion of the RVSM certification.

Sorry if I offended, I wasn't really trying to imply that your maintenance was sub-standard, just that .68 seems very slow...even for a tired old freighter. We used the Dassault T-5 climb schedule, except above 20,000 we used 690 instead of 695. Also found that we had equivalent climb rates by holding 300 KIAS to .70 instead of the published 233 (average) to .68 That gave you a little extra energy so you didn't need a step climb to 350. We used the .76 cruise charts which generally gave us a cruise of .74 Never quite figured that one out, even with tired engines, if it was making EPR and everything else looked kosher, why we weren't able to get the advertised cruise mach.
Maybe all the rust on the airframe caused extra drag! We used 670 as our cruise limit which apparently wasn't too hard on the engines; we had an 8000 hr. TBO in our AAIP.

Latest resources

Back