DA20 question(s)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TheBaron said:
No matter how ragged out, I never had a Falcon that wouldn't make 350. Granted if you took off at 28,660 you had to keep your speed way up in the climb or you would run out of energy. Push it over at 10,000, accelerate to 320-330 then let it bleed off a couple of knots per thousand feet. We had 14 Falcon's and there wasn't a single one that I couldn't get up to 390. Several I had up to 410 and two I had up to 420 on test flights after dual engine changes. Never give up your A/S or will will be stuck down at the lower levels. We had quite a few pilots that just couldn't figure that simple fact out. :confused: One guy popped engines every time he went above 350. I would take the same plane straight to 390 the next day on a maintenance test flight. :cool:

That's because you fly for a company that actually takes decent care of their aircraft.

Falcon Capt said:
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Pilotyip will be here all week, folks... Don't forget to tip your waitresses and waiters!!!

Do FOs buy uniforms out of their 35k, or are those included?

What do you do when the cargo door drips hyd fluid on your white shirt?

F/O's buy shirts and get a $200 uniform allowance for the remainder of the stuff, including a really neat leather jacket. How could a cargo door leak hyd fluid on a uniform? There is no hyd in the door.

pilotyip said:
F/O's buy shirts and get a $200 uniform allowance for the remainder of the stuff, including a really neat leather jacket. How could a cargo door leak hyd fluid on a uniform? There is no hyd in the door.

What Falcon cargo door doesn't have hydraulics? Avcon and Avtec are both hydraulic. Or maybe you say that in jest?

I also have to disagree with your assessment of fuel savings using a step climb vs. a high speed climb. Accelerating to 320 KIAS before starting your climb gives you a comparable climb rate to the Dassault profile at the same fuel burn but allows you to convert that extra energy into a higher initial cruise altitude and get a little farther down range. You definitely burn less gas at 350-370 than you do at 310. Same TAS at a lower fuel burn equals $$ saved in my book. At least that's how it worked on the 2D2's. Not suggesting anyone should do anything other than what their company requires.

Last edited:
That neat leather jacket must be nice. I'll stick to my free polo's and not worry about the hydro. fluid getting everywhere. Gotta love red shirts!

PilotYip, how do your doors not have hydro fluid? Got some electric jackscrew?

Oh yeah, I cleared 35K after taxes last year as an FO. Guess you cant say that anymore.

Great Baron you fly the 20 the you want, our pilots will fly the way we want, a way that matches the data we have collected and built into our computerized Jepps flight releases for our RVSM capable DA-20's. BTW guys there is no hdy fluid in door, in the actuating cyl yes, but not in the door. Plus the Avcon cyl could not leak on you unless you lay on the cargo floor under the cyl. Also Cherry 20's the $35K is 1st yr. starting guarantee at USA Jet and some of our F/O's made over $42K last year.

Last edited:
pilotyip...

I think I know that there isn't any hydraulic fluid in the actual door....BTW, your RVSM (ooh, I'm all tingly) capable DA-20's don't burn any jet fuel. It's all burned in the engine, so your DA-20's shouldn't care how they are flown! Duhh!

pilotyip said:
Plus the Avcon cyl could not leak on you unless you lay on the cargo floor under the cyl.

I guess with all your fuel savings you pay people to load your planes for you. When I was a freight dog, we loaded our own and sometimes that meant getting on the floor. And the Avtec doors actuator is at the top, not on the side, so just walking under the door could get you soaked if an O-ring had partially failed.

How could you not know that the "door" didn't have Fluid in it. Somethings said by certain people you just have to ignore in this place.

PilotYIP-I'm sure you had numerous FO's make over $35k in a FALCON last year, not DC-9! Even with your 25% paycut you gave your pilots last year when things were slow. Our Managment took a paycut when things got slow last year, not our pilots. Bet you'll never do that, would you?

Baron sure we pay people to load our airplanes. If the pilots have to load it we pay them for loading the airplane, if the load is above a certain level. Doesn't your company do the same thing?

Latest resources

Back