• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DA20 question(s)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At Reliant we would fly the falcons however we wanted. Mostly that meant practically firewalling it. We would cruise around at .75-.78 One Captain bragged about his plane which was admitedly the best in the fleet always being able to make .80. No one really believed him. The .68 we used at USAJet was derived from Fed Ex's extensive testing on fuel economy and engine longevity like PilotYip says. In the end, as everyone knows, you make time by being efficent on the ground not burning up engines enroute.

Da-20

787 said:
For the Falcon savy...

What is a garden variety balanced field length for the DA20?

MTOW for the 20F and the 200?

Is the aircraft truely t-con on average winds?

What is the silver bullet STC mod? Is this the Garrett re-engining?

Anyone out there flow both the steam gauge version and the Collins EFIS equipped birds?

What is the typical cruise TAS at a typical cruise alt?

Flown both the steam guages and EFIS birds. Not much diff. The EFIS was first gen though so ther is not alot of extra info able to be displayed like on a true MFD's. Glass is over-rated. The transition from steam to glass is easy. Just takes a little time punching buttons to figure out which does what. Its not hard at all. Never flew one with 731's. Talked to a couple of guys that did, they say one of the TR systems(sorry can't remember which) killed the climb rate for some reason. The CF7002D2's we had were dogs. But one that's rebuilt correctly should get you around .78-.80. Typical cruise in the low to mid 30's if its a good bird. Ragged out, good luck hitting FL300. Don't know nutin about the 200, sorry.

No matter how ragged out, I never had a Falcon that wouldn't make 350. Granted if you took off at 28,660 you had to keep your speed way up in the climb or you would run out of energy. Push it over at 10,000, accelerate to 320-330 then let it bleed off a couple of knots per thousand feet. We had 14 Falcon's and there wasn't a single one that I couldn't get up to 390. Several I had up to 410 and two I had up to 420 on test flights after dual engine changes. Never give up your A/S or will will be stuck down at the lower levels. We had quite a few pilots that just couldn't figure that simple fact out. :confused: One guy popped engines every time he went above 350. I would take the same plane straight to 390 the next day on a maintenance test flight. :cool:

TheBaron I am very impressed with your Falcon flying skills but I am waaaay more impressed with your avatar. I just stared at it for three minutes.

Xfr8dog said:
TheBaron I am very impressed with your Falcon flying skills but I am waaaay more impressed with your avatar. I just stared at it for three minutes.

She says "Thanks"

I wasn't trying to sound like Joe flight-god. I just learned to apply the lessons I learned from people that were much more experienced (and smarter) than I am/was.

Company makes the rules and that is the way you fly the airplane, never above .72, never above FL350, never climb or descend at a speed greater than 280 Kts unless requested by ATC, never exceed 200 Kts below 3,000 AGL and stablized from 1,000 foot down. Another question, why would a pilot who is paid by the hour want to fly a slow airplane fast?

I agree,in the falcon, holding 300 kts IAS until you hit .68-.70 often times will avoid a step climb when you are hot & heavy. Not having to step climb far outweighs the extra couple hundred pounds of fuel it takes to hold the faster speed and it gets you through the altitude you would be leveling off at if you were cimbing at 270 IAS then bleeding off to 233/.63. Just my 2 cents.

Disclaimer: The previous statement is in no way indicative of the way I fly at USAJ, just some good info I happen to know.

Alright Randy let's hear why you think my logic is flawed ????

ASI lets see, a couple hundred #'s per leg, times 145 trips per month, times 2.7 legs per trip, equals 78,300 lbs of fuel or 11,686 gallons @ 2.25/gallon or $26,292 per month to avoid a step climb. I am glad to see your disclaimer, because if pilots flew like that at USA Jet we would not be able to pay wages that trap you in a job where you can not afford to take a pay cut for your next job.

DA Capt that was only partial quote, you left out the $35K starting salary for the DA-20 F/O which is more than any other DA-20 on-demand cargo outfit. And we can do that because pilots like ASI step climb instead of going fast.

Latest resources

Back