• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CVG based crews....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The best way to describe lunken is an oasis in the hood, with a full 18 hole golf course located right on the airport. The area right around lunken is known as "over the rhine". After the race riots a few years ago, most police avoid the area at all costs, for fear of Jesse Jackson accusing them of "putting the man down". To make matters worse, the klan feels the need to march through the area from time to time. There is a night life, but probably not what you had in mind :uzi:

As with any city, your best bet for a decent place to live is the suburbs. If you do end up living inside Cincy, remember that Ohio is a concealed carry state, and it could be a very good investment.

Moved to CVG from Miami, and yes it sucks unless you're a heavy smoker who likes cold weather. However, I made the best I could out of it. Lived in Covington next to the Roebling bridge. We could walk to Bengals/Reds games, bars, restaurants, etc. Newport is a $5 cab ride, Mt Adams $10 or so. You can find some inexpensive apartments in that area in older buildings. Not too many places in Newport unless you rent an old house (many are converted to duplexes, etc). Nightlife at the Levee is pretty good too. Is Tropicana still there?

TWA,

You don't know your Cincy geography very well. LUK is on the east side of the city near Mariemount and Mt. Washington. OTR (Over-The-Rhine) is nearly 10 miles from LUK.

J26:

There are new developments and apt rehabs going on in OTR and it's better than it's been in the past 15 years. However, there are still problems there...but, for crying out loud, every city has a "tough" area. The crime rate in District 1 (wherein OTR sits) is actually the lowest in city (News 5, NBC, 3 March 08).

There is affodable, decent housing downtown. The Lamont building on 4th and Central has huge apts, and cheap! I've known several folks who've lived there.

For reasonable living (apt I assume?), you can't afford Mt Adams, Indian Hill or Eden Park. Clifton can be fun--some dicey parts closer to UC (Upper/Lower Clotter, MLKing, etc), but Gas Light Clifton is not quite as "college slum housing" and has neat shops, bars, and theatres on Ludlow Ave.

I'd avoid Western Hills. Hard to get to (really bad traffic), ultra-conservative German family areas-think Rosanne Barr type neighborhoods on crack.

You can find nice apts in Hyde Park, Oakley, Pleasant Ridge, and all will be about 20 mins to LUK. Going east, Beechmont, Mt Washington and even Eastgate isn't bad. Again, like Western Hills, they can be sort of lily-white and boreing...but, like most parts of the CVG area, you're only about 1/2 hr away from most things!

If you want to do the KY side of the River, Covington has good places (closer to the River), but rough ones too...more rough than good. Ft Thomas, and Ft Wright and Ft Mitchell are all pretty golden. I've always liked the old Newport...Dayton, KY is a rare find, too!

Going too far south in KY gets you in "generic subrbia" (Florence, Union, Erlanger) and then you're 30-45 mins from LUK anyway.

There are plenty of things to do in CVG...lots of bars, clubs, restraunts, and hangouts. Theatre (stage/movie) concerts, sports (better summer sports than winter), leagues everywhere, parks, golf courses everywhere, running/hiking/blading/sking trails...Riverbend (outdoor concerts) and horseracing (3 tracks w/i 45 mins) and Riverboat gambling in Rising Sun and Lawrenceburg (45 mins +/-), etc. If you WANT to do something, you can.

Stay on the Kentucky side of the river... But then again I was based at CVG and didn't have to deal with crossing the river to get to work.

You make it sound like you would've had to swim across. ;) Where's BoilerUp? Doesn't Kentucky have bridges?

Cincy can't be that bad....the Brady's went on vacation there.

I can't remember, did Mike ever find his blueprints after Greg lost them???

Hmmmmmm, Y'all are making home sound kinda bad! I lived 34.5 of my 35 years in Cincy and never thought it was that bad.

LUK is a fun airport but, be careful what you say and who you say it to. It's a soap opera! "As Lunken Turns". Everybody knows everybody. I was based there for a while. People are kinda fun to watch.

As far as living, Stay away from Hamilton county. Clermont or Butler would be better. But then you're outside 30 mins to the airport. No matter what city you live in, you're gunna have the bad areas.

Ok, so I didn't win the "know your cincy high crime areas" prize for today. But the area right around lunken is still a sh!t hole.

Cincy can't be that bad....the Brady's went on vacation there.

I can't remember, did Mike ever find his blueprints after Greg lost them???

That just proves how bad it is!! hahaha:laugh:

Coming from NY, I can say that Cincy does royally SUCK!!!!!! I wasted 3 years of my life there, and thank God for Delta's free travel.:beer:

Ok, so I didn't win the "know your cincy high crime areas" prize for today. But the area right around lunken is still a sh!t hole.

Not even close....Hyde Park is one of the nicest parts of town and that borders it to the west....Mt. Washington, Mariemont and Fairfax to the north and east are nice too....the only "sh!t hole" part would be to the south.....and that is made up of one major street before you hit the river

JSky26, I fly out of LUK and I live less than 10 minutes away....drop me a PM and I can clue you in a little better on where to go and what to avoid around here

Theres a ton of bars around here. Thats all you need. If make your way to Lex thats the place to goto on the weekends. Also stay south of the river.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back