• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cutting Back Flying Due to Fuel???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope, just crappy spelling and I never bothered to update my profile.

Light jet, fortune 500 company.

Working for a F500 company doesn't insulate a flight dept. from being "bean-countered" to death. Lots of ground pounders are looking to feather their own nests by saving a buck. Flight depts. are usually high on the target list.TC

Perhaps it is too early to predict the fuel cost increase fallout. Most companies use a charge back system as a way to "cover" direct operating costs. These companies will find that the charge backs for this year did not cover expenses. Next year the charge back amount will increase, so what will the customers (department heads who pay this charge back with their travel budget) do? If it becomes cost prohibitive to travel on the company jet flight time decreases and people and airplanes disappear. I hope this never happens, but unless your career is only 10 years old you have seen it before.

Another wild card is the economy as a whole. Corporate flight departments do not weather deep recessions well.

Lets all operate as efficiently as we can. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Enron (a major energy company) was a major Fortune 500 company, #7 on the list, before it became the largest US company to file bankruptcy

FYI

Last edited:
satpak77 said:
Enron (a major energy company) was a major Fortune 500 company, #7 on the list, before it became the largest US company to file bankruptcy

FYI
Enron's flight department didn't go away because of high fuel costs, it went away because of massive fraud and the company filing BK and liquidating... Fuel could have cost $0.01 a gallon and it wouldn't have saved that department... Just a slight difference there...

No flying cutbacks yet. Boss would lose more money by *NOT* flying. That being said, I negotiate for gas at every single place we go if we don't have contract fuel there. Even $0.25/gallon is significant considering how much we buy.

So far things seem okay. I am pulling the power back and staying as high as I can for as long as I can on repos. Four degree descents are the minimum now. Trying to save every nickel.

Last edited:
Rabble said:
I was wondering if any corporatations have started reducing nonessential flying or cutting back on flying/parking aircraft as a result of the slowing economy and the dramatic increase in fuel prices.

I think we're starting to see this happen in some flight departments.

The boss wanted to know if there would be a fuel shortage and wanted to make sure the airport bought enough to prevent that. I think he was more concerned with availablitly than price.

BushwickBill said:
The boss wanted to know if there would be a fuel shortage and wanted to make sure the airport bought enough to prevent that. I think he was more concerned with availablitly than price.

Mine called me to tell me not to get so wrapped up with tankering fuel and fuel cost as to compromise safety in any way. He just said to always have plenty on board... :)

Tankering

We have the extra capacity on most all missions (execpt on NAT or Transcontinental trips) and use the tankering profile that Lead Sled mentions. We also taxi on one engine. We are saving several hundred dollars a leg.That equates to about $41K per year. The only effort involved is making the phone calls to compile fuel price data (something for the F/O to do).

Lead Sled, thanks for your fine contribution (as usual) to these boards. I might suggest that you pull down your email address, however. Aside from dolts like Guppykiller, bots cruise the web mining addresses from any and all web pages, and then sell the lists to spammers. Do yourself a favor - I learned this one the hard way.

Latest resources

Back