• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

CRJs limited to 250 KIAS?

Sgt. Hartman

What do we get for $10?
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Posts
164
Total Time
0.1
In the past couple of weeks I have heard more than one CRJ tell ATC that they are limited to 250 knots for the entire flight. Why is this? I hope that the gear wasn't stuck down.
 

StaySeated

IBT does not represent ME
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Posts
782
Total Time
10500
Just trying to recoup the 3 year pay/longevity freeze. We would go slower if we could.
 

sleddriver77

Reformed Bush Pilot
Joined
Feb 16, 2002
Posts
277
Total Time
10000+
Reduce to Payroll Power!!!
 
J

jackbo

it's because pinnacle pilots kept exceeding the 250 knot limit below 10,000. it was getting to be such an epidemic that they decided to limit all their crjs to 250 knots all the time.

if you aren't smarter than the rules, than the rules will have to be changed.
 

Bongo

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 17, 2002
Posts
52
Total Time
1200
I'm sorry, I couldn't find smooth air anywhere! Back to turbulence penetration speed we go. Wouldn't want to bend the airframe in case we hit some extreme turbulence in this severe clear weather. ;)
 

Rook

And shepherds we shall be
Joined
Dec 20, 2001
Posts
1,225
Total Time
?
jackbo said:
it's because pinnacle pilots kept exceeding the 250 knot limit below 10,000. it was getting to be such an epidemic that they decided to limit all their crjs to 250 knots all the time.

if you aren't smarter than the rules, than the rules will have to be changed.
As Eddie Murphy said in 48hrs... Ha Ha.......Ha.

Tool
 

DGdaPilot

Parrot Head Pilot
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Posts
672
Total Time
5:00
Bongo said:
I'm sorry, I couldn't find smooth air anywhere! Back to turbulence penetration speed we go. Wouldn't want to bend the airframe in case we hit some extreme turbulence in this severe clear weather. ;)
Uhhh...isn't that speed 280 KIAS? ;)
 

ss9e

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Posts
120
Total Time
.
jackbo said:
it's because pinnacle pilots kept exceeding the 250 knot limit below 10,000. it was getting to be such an epidemic that they decided to limit all their crjs to 250 knots all the time.

if you aren't smarter than the rules, than the rules will have to be changed.

ha ha ha. the real reason is that we have had quite a few a/c that have a CDL limiting them to 250 kias. this CDL item has to be repaired in 7 days.
 

Tim47SIP

Serving for the USofA
Joined
Dec 5, 2001
Posts
1,157
Total Time
10,000
I can't remember!

Just exactly was that CDL. I have been out of the lime light for a little over a year and can't remember a 250 KIAS CDL. I am just curious, not implying you are wrong. Thanks in advance.:)
 

No Delay

Well-known member
Joined
May 26, 2004
Posts
484
Total Time
4000+
I had something similar to this last week. A deferrel of part of the BTMS required the gear to remain down for 10 minutes which limited us to 250 kts.
 

Lear70

JAFFO
Joined
Oct 17, 2003
Posts
7,487
Total Time
4abeer
Anything that has anything to do with the gear system. Landing gear doors, door brushes, as well as anything that would keep the gear fixed down.

I've flown several of these types of deferrals over the last few months. Things have a tendency of not getting fixed around here lately, mostly due to lack of parts.

The aircraft will often have the part in question replaced from a perfectly good working aircraft, then THAT aircraft will be DMI'd for 7 days. Seen it a couple times now, it buys the company time...

p.s. That's pretty funny Rook... brought back memories - haven't seen that movie in a while. :)
 

ss9e

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Posts
120
Total Time
.
Tim47SIP said:
Just exactly was that CDL. I have been out of the lime light for a little over a year and can't remember a 250 KIAS CDL. I am just curious, not implying you are wrong. Thanks in advance.:)

missing gear doors. i think that it's CDL 32-12. this CDL takes a weight hit depending on which flaps setting you use. it also takes a 0.7% burn penalty.
 
E

E170Guppykiller

I heard that the restriction in speed is due to an AD put out by the Feds restricting speed to 230kts because the low time pilots flying them are having a hard time keeping ahead of the plane. The AD does NOT apply to pilots that have attended Riddle's high speed aerodynamics course. As they have shown on paper that they can handle the speed of the CRJ.
 

Kream926

pimpin' aint easy
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Posts
1,196
Total Time
1.21
^^^^ please tell me you didnt take a picture of yourself and use it as an avitar.
 

Oakum_Boy

supercalifragilistic
Joined
Nov 10, 2003
Posts
2,405
Total Time
24
Kream926 said:
^^^^ please tell me you didnt take a picture of yourself and use it as an avitar.

He got a purdy mouth...
 

CaptainMack

THE CAPTAIN'S DEAD!!!
Joined
Jul 16, 2005
Posts
5
Total Time
NWA069
E170Guppykiller said:
I heard that the restriction in speed is due to an AD put out by the Feds restricting speed to 230kts because the low time pilots flying them are having a hard time keeping ahead of the plane. The AD does NOT apply to pilots that have attended Riddle's high speed aerodynamics course. As they have shown on paper that they can handle the speed of the CRJ.
Wow, this guy is really letting the flamebait out all over the place. Too bad for that dorky kid in his avatar, he'll get his @$$ kicked if he shows up anywhere the regionals fly; better take the train. What was this thread about? And btw, the name CaptainObvious was already taken.
 

Tahoe1

Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2003
Posts
16
Total Time
3000
Guppy killer eh, dude your one load your m_m's should have swallowed.
 

DAS at 10/250

Coffee, captain?
Joined
Apr 16, 2003
Posts
884
Total Time
3500+
HaHa! I thought GuppyKiller's post was pretty damn funny. And more than likely contains more truth than fiction! I'm a CAPT grad! Yehaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Give me an RJ!


P.S. Guppy, lose the avatar if that is you.
 
Top