CRJ2 Flaps?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captjiggles

Why do most CRJ2 operators keep their flaps at the take off position while taxiing in and while parked at the gate?

It has/had to do with a flap warping issue on the 200's. Thus, you were required to inspect the flaps in the takeoff setting before takeoff. It can only be done properly on the walk around. There was an AD that cleared this up, but my employer never recinded the procedure even after compliance. I've never seen the problem with almost 1500 in the jet.

Not quite, when the AD came out it did indeed require that the flaps be inspected prior to takeoff. The final fix is when a new system called the skew detection system is installed, if the system is installed then full retraction after landing is required to reset the system for the subsequent takeoff. Many operators have decided to not install the SDS as I believe it costs about $75K per aircraft.

Operaters like pinnacle brought the flaps up after landing. We had a 215 speed limit to bring the flaps down instead of the manufactures 230 kias speed limit. Because our flap speed was reduced we did not have to do the inspection of the flaps like other operator did at the gate.

turbinej said:
Operaters like pinnacle brought the flaps up after landing. We had a 215 speed limit to bring the flaps down instead of the manufactures 230 kias speed limit. Because our flap speed was reduced we did not have to do the inspection of the flaps like other operator did at the gate.

There must be more to it than just the speed, because AWAC also has the lower speed limit, but has to do the inspection as well.

This might be a dumb question................but, what causes the warping? I assume its a speed issue. Does it have anything to do with the flaps being electrical?

Captjiggles said:
This might be a dumb question................but, what causes the warping? I assume its a speed issue. Does it have anything to do with the flaps being electrical?

It had to do with the flex cable that runs from the motor to the actuators.

Each flap has more than one actuator, and one of them was binding causing the flap to twist. Not every RJ was affected, only certain serial numbers that had the faulty part. (or i should say, the production dates of the parts that have failed) You can certainly bring the flaps up after landing if you wanted to, but they had to be in T/O position prior to the next walk around to ensure they didnt twist. Once all the affected aircraft have been "repaired" then the AD will go away, but most carriers arent doing this until they come in for major c checks which could take a few years to get them all done.

If I remember right it was the outboard actuator on the inboard flap that was causing the twisting. Never saw it for real, and I flew it for two plus years before the replacement was made.

AF :cool:

In my opinion the real problem is not that twisting can occur, it's that the CRJ sensors have no way to detect flap twist. I think it's that lack of detection that is more of a problem then the actual twist issue.

Latest resources

Back