CRJ2 Flaps?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
turbinej said:
Operaters like pinnacle brought the flaps up after landing. We had a 215 speed limit to bring the flaps down instead of the manufactures 230 kias speed limit. Because our flap speed was reduced we did not have to do the inspection of the flaps like other operator did at the gate.

We had the same 215 limit imposed...interesting that the software was never updated and the redline remains at 230 for flaps 8-20, so no clacker.

Slice121 said:
We had the same 215 limit imposed...interesting that the software was never updated and the redline remains at 230 for flaps 8-20, so no clacker.

Not only that, but the new airplanes from the factory came with placards stating 230 kts was the flap speeds. Obviously the AD was complied with from the factory.

Within about a month they had the placard with 215 up, along with the "must visually inspect flaps prior to departure" one.

Slice121 said:

I always wondered if other people had the same flap limits. cmr has those same limits and we leave the flaps at teh t/o setting at the gate.

The 215 is a Bombardiar thing. They were having problems during the test flights. (IE when the crews where doing certification flights) At 230 they were having flap problems during aircraft testing. I am not sure if they were not extending or what exactly the issue was. So they made it 215 and that took care of the problem. So instead of recertifing the aircraft they limited the flap speed to 215 and all is well. Or at least that is what I was told in training at ASA and I know Pinnacle has the same flap speed.

I know at ASA we used to have to check the inboard to the outboard flap and they needed to be up to do that but I think that procedure is no longer in the POH, I do not know since I do not work there anymore.

turbinej said:
Operaters like pinnacle brought the flaps up after landing. We had a 215 speed limit to bring the flaps down instead of the manufactures 230 kias speed limit. Because our flap speed was reduced we did not have to do the inspection of the flaps like other operator did at the gate.

So maybe the fact that pinnacle has new RJ's with the redsigned flaps that eliminate the warping problem might have something to do with it?
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Gee I wonder??

RF

mynameisjim said:
In my opinion the real problem is not that twisting can occur, it's that the CRJ sensors have no way to detect flap twist. I think it's that lack of detection that is more of a problem then the actual twist issue.

Again, that is what the skew detection system does. It basically looks at the rotation of the jack screw actuators at each station, all 8 of them, and if one were to stop rotating (example the flex cable severses between actuators) it shuts down the flap drive unit. You may end up landing without full flaps but hopefully they wont be warped. If the skew detection system is not installed, or is and is MEL'd, the predeparture inspection is required. Installation of the SDS is not required for compliance with the AD, but other inspection and maintenance is required if it is not. SkyWest airlines has installed the SDS in all of the aircraft primarily because of flap retraction problems after taxiing through slush and snow.

Latest resources

Back