Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crzipilot

Just curious.

What type of fuel loads do the CRJ operaters out there plan for over destination, or target landing fuel, on clear VFR no alternate flight plan.

From your flight releases, what's your average reserve fuel figure, and what's the fuel load you start getting uncomfortable landing with?

Our company uses 45 minutes based on last cruise fuel flow, plus 15-20 minutes holding fuel depending on outbound from or inbound to hub, plus occasional tankering. Of course, last cruise fuel flow varies substantially based on factors such as altitude, ISA deviation, and gross weight. I would say the 45 minute figure varies between about 1800 and 2300 pounds for the CRJ200.

I've always had a bit of a problem with the logic of using last cruise fuel flow for that 45 minute reserve. So what if you flew across the country at FL350, only to have to go missed at your destination? You can't exactly go back up to FL350 when you really need the fuel. It would be better if it were based on fuel flow at 10,000 or 18,000, or something more reasonable.

That being said, I fly with what they give me, and only ask for more if I start to see questionable factors for the flight adding up. When I get closer to the destination, I start thinking about other options if I won't land with very close to whatever minimum they planned for me. 1800 pounds I guess would be the limit for me, then.

Have been on a lot of flights where we got gobs of alternate and contingency fuel, had to bump passengers. While the forecast may have required it, more often than not it was VFR by the time we got there.

On the other hand, preflighted a CRJ recently that had about 1100lbs onboard. Previous crew came in from Canada on a 3+hr flight and landed with things pretty close to Cat I mins and getting scuzzier. Yeah, they had Cat II capability, but it wouldnt have taken a whole lot to leave them with NO options. Talked to a guy the next day who saw a similar load, but it was VFR at the time.

I dont like being planned to land with less than 2500.... 3000 being my preference (no alternate). Plan for 2000-2100 for the reserves, 15-30 minutes typically on the C-fuel. I've never seen tankering.

Added: 1100 pounds? geez.... that's way way way low....

Leroy Smith said:
On the other hand, preflighted a CRJ recently that had about 1100lbs onboard. Previous crew came in from Canada on a 3+hr flight and landed with things pretty close to Cat I mins and getting scuzzier. Yeah, they had Cat II capability, but it wouldnt have taken a whole lot to leave them with NO options. Talked to a guy the next day who saw a similar load, but it was VFR at the time.

That's what happens when you have 100kt headwind and want to get home quickly, so you're crusiing along at .78+ when you're planned for .74, then all of a sudden you get to ATL and hold for a bit... I love hearing them whining to dispatch that they had a headwind or had to change altitudes when it's their own darn fault for going as fast as they can go and wasting the fuel away during the 3 hr flight! Holding .74 vs max cruise thrust is 100-200lbs/hr per engine so over 3 hours that adds up to 800-1200lbs of fuel you just pissed away to get there 5 min faster. There's no learnin' some people though.

Leroy Smith said:
On the other hand, preflighted a CRJ recently that had about 1100lbs onboard. Previous crew came in from Canada on a 3+hr flight and landed with things pretty close to Cat I mins and getting scuzzier.
That should be landing someone with about a week of unpaid leave to think about it.

550 pounds A SIDE at landing? YGBSM... They HAD to know at some point during the flight they were going to land with less than their 45 minute reserve??!!

If, at ANY time during the flight it's obvious we're going to have less FOA than your 45 minute reserve, I start looking for somewhere else to land and get gas.

Lately our company has gone to 200-300 pounds of contingency fuel so if our EFOA in flight changes to even SLIGHTLY under our PROPOSED EFOA, I pull it back to LRC. If that delays the next flight, too fracking bad. If we have to divert and the next flight cancels, again, TFB!

Eventually they'll take enough diversion hits and start bringing contingency fuel back up. Good thing we don't fly into ATL.

PeanuckleCRJ said:
I dont like being planned to land with less than 2500.... 3000 being my preference (no alternate). Plan for 2000-2100 for the reserves, 15-30 minutes typically on the C-fuel. I've never seen tankering.

Added: 1100 pounds? geez.... that's way way way low....

The other night we Tankerd fuel into EAU...Had somthing to do with there JET fuel not being up to par.

Crzipilot said:
Just curious.

What type of fuel loads do the CRJ operaters out there plan for over destination, or target landing fuel, on clear VFR no alternate flight plan.

Great, now these things are flying around VFR???? Great.

CRZ, these are 121 operations. They are all on IFR flight plans. Regardless of wx conditions.

Yes, they are operating as 121, and under which, you can dispatch to destination with no alternate as long as you meet the required wx. Hence the nature of the question, when such conditions exist, what do other operaters use for reserve fuel, and standard contingency fuel if any? Depending on your POI, some have idea that it's OK to burn into reserve fuel, if needed, I.E> unplanned holding, deviations, vectoring, etc etc.....Whereas some say it's a big no no to burn into reserve. Personally I've seen it both ways, and just curious what other operaters fuel loads look like.

Latest resources

Back