• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ Drivers, Cowl Anti Ice Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does it scare the crap out of anybody else that somebody would come to flight-info for specific aircraft operating procedures like this rather than just contact their company fleet manager? I don't fly the CRJ so I have no clue if the advise given to date is accurate or not. But I'm sure procedures vary from airline to airline and a better choice would be to ask your own training department.

The ADVICE that's been given is pretty good.

As a matter of fact I did call my training department on Friday and I was looking for more ways to troubleshoot the problem so I don't have to either A) turn off the cowls when they're needed, or B) take a wild guess at the takeoff thrust. Since I've now scared the crap out of you I guess you would feel more comfortable with a pilot who just launches with the cowls off when required or perhaps not enough thrust.

Last edited:
Easiest way when you want the N1 carrot. Look up in QRH Vol 1 Perf section. TO thrust with cowl anti ice. You can the manually put that number in the FMS under TRGT.

The ADVICE that's been given is pretty good.

As a matter of fact I did call my training department on Friday and I was looking for more ways to troubleshoot the problem so I don't have to either A) turn off the cowls when they're needed, or B) take a wild guess at the takeoff thrust. Since I've now scared the crap out of you I guess you would feel more comfortable with a pilot who just launches with the cowls off when required or perhaps not enough thrust.

Sounds to me like you couldn't come up with the answer at the runway when it mattered and launched anyway. Did you have valid T.O. performance data or just go for it? As far as my comfort level goes, I guess I would be more "comfortable" with a crew who actually knew the procedure for a fairly common aircraft configuration. I have a hard time believing that the answer to the situation isn't in your company aircraft manual or isn't covered in training. If it's not it most definately should be.

p.s. Sounds as if you may have a "thin skin" condition. Sorry if I ruffeled your feathers, but I stand on my statement that it concerns me that this is where you would come for advise about a specific procedure like this. Just seems to me that there would be better sources than FI.

Latest resources

Back