• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ Drivers, Cowl Anti Ice Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Was the temperature in the FMS exactly on 10c, if it was the aircraft will not generate a thrust setting with the anti-ice on and the temp right at 10c, even though the books say 10c or less. Next time try putting 9c in the box and that will fix it!

Besides the great avatar, we now have the correct answer.

If you put in a Flex Temp it will kick out the carrots when you select the cowls on b/c you're not supposed to flex when you're using anti ice protection. Make sure you select full take off numbers when that happens.

Depending on where you work, this is the correct answer.

-Blucher

Had the same problem 2 days ago. Had a cautious CPT with the OAT at 11c. Couldnt get the full power (not Flex) carrot up. Re-entered OAT. Nothing. Tried Lower OAT. Nothing. Kicked FMS. Nothing. Scratched Balls. Nothing. Guessed TO power. Everything OK.

Did you try a different temperature (lower)? I forget how it works in the -200, but sometimes the FMS in the -700 won't take a flex temperature if the OAT is too high, we just put a lower one in until it works, the Fadec takes care of the normal thrust settings so this exact problem can't occur. Sorry for the bad advice based on a different airplane, but what the hell, this is Flightinfo, right?

You will not flex with the cowls or the wings on for takeoff. If the carrots dump out...go to the FMS and input the TGT numbers that you should have gotten from the ACARS for the takeoff performance.

It will give you the carrots for the takeoff.

Didn't try to flex did you? No flex with anti-ice

What is a Flex?

I've confused the issue by mentioning flex "reduced thurst" takeoffs. Anti-ice is a limitation to flex takeoffs, and since the we pilots might forget that, the computer throws out the thrust settings if you select Cowl or Wing Anti-ice on. The only reason I mentioned it, is because you only input a temperature into the FMS in the -700 if you wan't to do a reduced thrust takeoff, otherwise the FADEC takes care of it. No FADEC on the -200, so I thought that perhaps entering a lower temperature might help. Sorry for the confusion.

It's been several months since we had to use the cowls on the ground for T/O. It was cold and rainy yesterday, and when they were selected "on" with the bleeds on the 10th for the packs the T/O carats would go away. We went to the perf page and selected all of the options. Is this normal? I read the POH and couldn't find much info. We had a long line before we could launch and tried some other things, but couldn't solve the problem. Any help is much appreciated.

Does it scare the crap out of anybody else that somebody would come to flight-info for specific aircraft operating procedures like this rather than just contact their company fleet manager? I don't fly the CRJ so I have no clue if the advise given to date is accurate or not. But I'm sure procedures vary from airline to airline and a better choice would be to ask your own training department.

Does it scare the crap out of anybody else that somebody would come to flight-info for specific aircraft operating procedures like this rather than just contact their company fleet manager? I don't fly the CRJ so I have no clue if the advise given to date is accurate or not. But I'm sure procedures vary from airline to airline and a better choice would be to ask your own training department.

Umm yeah.... I was thinking along those same lines.... I can see it now, well the guys on flightinfo said to do it this way.... To hell with the FCOM! Who needs it?!?

Latest resources

Back