• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ down in MO!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
-3A1 and -3B1 differences are limited to -3B1 "improvements in compressor and turbine construction which has resulted in a reducton in total fuel consumption and improvements in flat-rated power capability." (Bombardier PTM, 20-1)

From the Bombardier FCOM vol.1 (the big silver one from the manufacturer), p18-10-1
"When at high thrust settings, the engine is controlled by an electronic control unit (ECU) which works in tandemwith a fuel control unit (FCU). The ECU monitors sensors (T2C and P3, etc), sets up the appropriate fuel, acceleration and temperature schedules, and relays appropriate operating data to the flight crew through data concentrator units (DCU) to the flight compartment displays (EICAS)."

p18-10-6
"Speed control is as follows:
--At low thrust settings, the FCU meters fuel to the injectors to control N2 speed. In N2 mode, matched movements of the thrust leversproduces matched N2 speeds but N1 speeds and thrust may be mismatched between engines. A mechanical thrust lever setting and N2 speed schedule is contained in the fuel control unit.

--At take-off, climb, and cruise power settingsthe engine is N1 speed controlled. In N1 mode, the FCU responds to N1 speed references. Matched movements of the thrust levers produces matched N1 speed and nearly matched thrust between engines. An electrical thrust lever setting and N1 speed schedule is contained in the fuel control unit and controlled by the ECU. Switch over from N2 to N1 control can occur at speeds above 79% N1 by switching N1 control on.

--If N1 mode is selected off, the engine speed control reverts to N2 mode (mechanical)."

See? Everyone is right! Now let's go have a beer in memory of our friends.

Possible that they had the APU shut down with the fuel flow continuing and filling the aft equipment bay with fuel and fumes? If that happened (has happened before several times) and there was an ignition source that could explain the witness reports of fire and a dual engine failure...

No matter the cause, God bless the crew and their loved ones...

atrdriver

Falcon Capt said:
Actually the FAA web site is updated regularly... My guess is that the Captain was typed within the last 90 days or so since he certificate information on the site doesn't reflect the Type Rating (B-1900 is the only Type shown at this time), if he was typed earlier it would have been up on the web site already...

To be honest, when I looked up the crews info, that was the same thing that went through my mind... From the information on the web site it looked as though both pilots may have been relatively inexperienced in their psoitions...

Again, only going by the information available on the FAA web site. I didn't know either of the two crew members...

May God rest their souls...
I really don't know WHY it matters.. but Jesse upgraded about a month ago, although he had 18 months in the right seat and previous 121 PIC experience. The FO had a few months in the right seat.

Regardless of how much time someone has in a specific seat, they still had time in the aircraft. This could of happened to someone with 5,000 in the left AND right seat. Time is relative, they did the best they could have done with what they had to work with and I hope no one will aruge that point.

efiscompmon said:
See? Everyone is right! Now let's go have a beer in memory of our friends.
You are absolutely right. It just makes matters worse to sit here and spectulate about what happened. It's terrible not knowing what happened, and until we do, we just have to agree that it is a terrible loss, especially to those of us that knew and flew with these two great guys. I for one am going to have a beer for Jesse and reminisce of the short time I knew him, as well as for Peter.

falcon20driver said:
why new pilots
Cause they were probably on reserve. Looks like it was a late night mx repo flight. Only reserve pilots normally would get that kind of flight assignment. Most folks upgrade as soon as they can for the pay bumb and as such are junior on the airplane and in the seat, so therefore are usually on reserve.

God bless them and their families, good people do not deserve to be taken from us.

This really sadens me.

I was just in Memphis a few months ago for the funeral of a friend of mine, a Pinnacle pilot. A bunch of you showed up at her funeral which showed a lot of class. You guys/gals are number one in my book.

My condolences to the crew's family and friends.

igneousy2 said:
This really sadens me.

I was just in Memphis a few months ago for the funeral of a friend of mine, a Pinnacle pilot. A bunch of you showed up at her funeral which showed a lot of class. You guys/gals are number one in my book.

My condolences to the crew's family and friends.
True, true, Colleen was a class act and gone way too soon. Only 6 months after her wedding, too. She was a former student of mine and a gift to the world.

Godspeed to the crew and my condolences to the family and friends, as well as the entire Pinnacle family.

LTG

Last edited:
jws717 said:
actualy a crj is a small jet according to the AIM, read the wake turbulence section. It refers to aircraft up to and including the 757 as a light jet.
This is incorrect! The AIM refers to aircraft more than 41,000lbs. MAGTOW and up to 255,000lbs. as large for wake turbulence separation minima. Small is 41,000lbs. or less. The CRJ is well over 41,000lbs. MAGTOW. Some 757s are true Heavies now too.

also.. A large aircraft is one that has a MAGTOW over 12,500lbs.

Long Time Gone said:
True, true, Colleen was a class act and gone way too soon. Only 6 months after her wedding, too. She was a former student of mine and a gift to the world.

Godspeed to the crew and my condolences to the family and friends, as well as the entire Pinnacle family.

LTG
What happened to your friend Colleen?

manfred33 said:
You are absolutely right. It just makes matters worse to sit here and spectulate about what happened. It's terrible not knowing what happened, and until we do, we just have to agree that it is a terrible loss, especially to those of us that knew and flew with these two great guys. I for one am going to have a beer for Jesse and reminisce of the short time I knew him, as well as for Peter.

I will do the same as soon as I get off reserve. Jesse was a competent, skilled pilot and a good man. Godspeed Brotha! Rest in Peace.

Although I never knew Peter my heart goes out to his friends and family and I will have a beer for him as well.

Latest resources

Back