• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ down in MO!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My condolences to the families and fellow coworkers of the crew on NW3701. While I dont work for 9E, I do work for another regional (YV). It is sad knowing two aviators died doing what they loved. I do think it is times like this that can bring everyone in this industry together, regardless of what color the tails of our planes are. On another note, I think there was a CRJ that crashed during a test run in Canada, maybe someone could elaborate on that.

Thanks, Av8rPHX. I should have mentioned I did know about the test run crash. I believe the vertical stab was the same as the Challenger, and not big enough for the larger airplane. The production planes have had a different tail.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these two gentlemen. I think my heart always stops for a minute when I hear about a crash, wondering if I know the crew members, as I help so many in this business.

As someone else said, when a fund gets set up, please let us all know about it so that we can help the families.

Kathy

Ditto!

God Bless!

Tragic and very sad. My prayers and regards to their families and friends. Hats off to the two brave men who apparently flew the damaged aircraft all the way to the end and possibly spared a life.

Mark

Every time something like this happens, it really hits home with me the saying "There but for the grace of God go I".

God bless them and their loved ones.

asacap said:
It's times like these that I feel stupid for ever complaining about anything. I'm very sad for the family and friends of these two. I guess we all need to step back and see how precious life is and how lucky we are.
Yabba, dabba, freeking doo! You said a ton in a nut shell brother!

This is the 4th CRJ to go down.

The first was a Bombardier test bird in Wichita; stalled during slip-slide maneuver, safety chute failed due to misconfiguration of controls by FO. 3 dead.

The second was an AirCanada bird in Fredericton, ON; FO stalled during go-around attempt. No casualties.

The third was an BritAir (AirFrance subsidiary) which the CA stalled in poor weather on approach into Brest. 1 dead (Captain).

Other than a bunch of in-flight windscreen shatterings, this bird has had a relatively safe record in the past ~10 years of service.

A Little More Information On the Crash...

Plane in Jefferson City crash had mechanical problems earlier

08:45 PM CDT on Friday, October 15, 2004

By DAVID A. LIEB, Associated Press Writer

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — A plane that plunged to a fatal crash after both of its jet engines failed had aborted a scheduled takeoff earlier in the day because of an apparent problem with a mechanical system that distributes engine heat throughout the plane.

Federal investigators said Friday evening that the regional jet affiliated with Northwest Airlines had aborted a scheduled flight Thursday from Little Rock, Ark., after an indicator light went on for its bleed-air system.

After undergoing maintenance, the 50-seat Pinnacle Airlines plane was being flown without passengers to Minneapolis when its engines failed and it crashed late Thursday night into a residential area in Missouri's capital city, killing the two pilots. No residents were hurt.

The plane reached 41,000 feet before it went into an aerodynamic stall and lost power from one engine. At 13,000 feet, the second engine quit working. The last contact that air traffic controllers had with the plane was at 9,000 feet when a pilot reported an airport beacon in sight, Carmody said.

The crash site is about two miles from the Jefferson City airport.

Pinnacle Airlines, based in Memphis, Tenn., identified the two deceased pilots as Capt. Jesse Rhodes and First Officer Peter Cesarz but did not release their ages or hometowns. Carmody said earlier Friday that the pilots' bodies had not been recovered, but by looking at the cockpit there's "no doubt" the pilots died.

The plane, bought new by Pinnacle in May 2000, had flown 10,161 hours and had no major problems in inspections required by the Federal Aviation Administration, Pinnacle said.

User997 said:
Plane in Jefferson City crash had mechanical problems earlier

08:45 PM CDT on Friday, October 15, 2004

By DAVID A. LIEB, Associated Press Writer

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. —...
...The plane reached 41,000 feet before it went into an aerodynamic stall and lost power from one engine. At 13,000 feet, the second engine quit working. The last contact that air traffic controllers had with the plane was at 9,000 feet when a pilot reported an airport beacon in sight, Carmody said.
QUOTE]

My condolences to the familes of the crew. I hope this reporting isn't accurate.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back