CRJ 200 loud popping sound

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Marcus

Anyone know what the loud pop or thud sound is that you feel in your feet while climbing out in the CRJ 200?

Anyone know what the loud pop or thud sound is that you feel in your feet while climbing out in the CRJ 200?

I asked that question to a technical pilot on the CRJ. The explanation that I got was it is the fuselage shifting on the wing root. Apparently there is a small amount of slack around the bolts holding the wings to the fuselage and that allows the shift to occur which causes the noise. Don't know how true that is but it sounded decent at the time.

Varmint is correct. Challengers also make this noise, there is a service bulletin fix for it but generally it doesn't change the noise much. I don't think the airlines would invest in something like that anyway.

That's what I've been told as well, something to do with the main spar shifting. Just never had an official answer.

There are 3 fittings on each side of the wing at a point 45 inches from the wing centerline. They attach to 3 large frames that are part of the fuselage. There are 16 bolts, two dogbones links and two tie bars up front. The dog bones are what make the popping noise and they have bearings in them which can be replaced. Supposedly replacing the bearings helps with the noise. I can't seem to find a picture of it but if I do I'll repost.

Last edited:
I have never heard that before. I heard from our test pilot at here at Pinnacle, who used to work for Bombardier and was involved in the development of the CRJ, that It's the oleo extension expanding in the nose gear.

Is it the same in the 700s? I flew on an ASA aircraft several years ago that made LOUD popping noises in the wingbox areas. Didn't happen on PSA, Skywest or Mesa 700s, and only once or twice on the ASA flights. It was enough for me to ask the crew about it.

Latest resources

Back