crew rest seat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
he said some political issues are involved
Like congress realizing that it might be important to have some sleep before you fly. Based on the lack of rest the two pilots had on the Continental flight into Buffalo, maybe CAL realized that while it might save a little money to not give adequate rest to a crewmember, inflight, who's there to provide relief, the public might not understand this as well as the beancounters. "Crew rest in coach." Add that to your "jumbo shrimp" oxymoron, or "CAL pilot unity."

Haven't heard a thing about this. The company negotiators just got back in town from a week in NYC meeting with the union. Could be true. No progress is being made on the contract at this time. Remember, when we are talking about CAL's "crew rest seat" issue, we are only talking about the 757/767 aircraft. The 777's have bunks and the 737 pilots enjoy a guaranteed 1st class seat for inflight crew rest. The union negotiators(all 737 pilots at the time) OFFERED the company the BusinessFirst seat on flights where CAL could sell out the premium cabin in return for 3 seats in coach for pilot rest. Although rarely used(there is almost always a BusinessFirst seat for the pilots), the idea was to allow CAL to gain additional revenue by having the premium seat available to sell and for the union to use that number as a credit in the overall concessionary number during the contract talks. We should be blaming the union negotiating team and the MEC members who were in service at that time, not the company.

IAHERJ

just heard the crew rest seat was offered back to continental airlines unconditionallly

We do have a crew rest seat on the 756, it is 3 seats in coach.

I have heard nothing that would back up your statement. I am sure however that the first class seat has been open a lot more lately.

We should be blaming the union negotiating team and the MEC members who were in service at that time, not the company.IAHERJ
I have to disagree. Sometimes a company has to protect it employees from themselves when they want to negotiate something away that is a safety item or a public perception item.

It is now pretty clear to the public and to politicians that, oh my, pilots need to be rested when they work. Is it more likely that rest will occur in coach or forward of coach? Anyone who has flown in either will tell you the answer.

When the negotiating committee offered up business/first class seats, the company should have just said no thanks.

This is why I don't bid 756. I cannot sleep upright in a first class seat. (Haven't tried the lay flat ones yet though.) Either a bunk like the 777, or domestic/short international 737 for me.

I was on a CAL flight from BCN-EWR 3 years ago. They graciously offered me a Biz/First seat. I observed all 3 crewmembers using the first row of BizFirst for their breaks. Maybe it was different back then? (2006 time frame.)

The union negotiators(all 737 pilots at the time) OFFERED the company the BusinessFirst seat on flights where CAL could sell out the premium cabin in return for 3 seats in coach for pilot rest.

Just a point of clarification, the negotiators originally agreed to ONE seat in coach that was later changed to three to agree to send out the vote when the FA's turned theirs down. The guys who negotiated this are in need of a serious a** beating, even more so now that they have taken a management job. If they were dockworkers, they would be dead.

Latest resources

Back