Crew member as a 3rd wheel...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wtrav8r said:
Take the advice of Maximizer...keep your nose clean and professional to ensure your job security.

These relationships hardly last and it will probably be over before you know it.

Horrible advice. In the meantime, while the Capt and the FA are acting unprofessional in full view of paying passengers, the FO is just supposed to bury his head in the sand, and ignore the situation. Real professional....great CRM.

XSwann, you are an integral part of this crew.....and if the Capt and FA are acting this way in full view of paying passengers, it reflects poorly on you too. You need to deal with the situation, not ignore it. If the Capt doesn't understand why you are talking to him in private about it, or if he tells you to pack sand and mind your own business, then I would go right to professional standards, or the Chief Pilot. If the Chief Pilot wants to know why you're bothering him with such trivial tripe (which I highly doubt), I'll go out on a limb here and say that you should seek employment elsewhere immediately. Any company that doesn't care about unprofessional behavior on the line isn't worth working for, in my opinion.

Seriously, would you want to fly on a jet where you just witnessed the Capt and FA arguing right in front of you?

Archie-

Its not horrible advise as you suggest, its a sticky situation , and by being an Co-Pilot he may find himself unemployed very quick if this is gone about the wrong way. I'd rather be employed looking elsewhere than the other way around.

I agree with you that he should be looking elsewhere.

Archie,

I don't disagree with your original idea....because that is what I would do....but, maximizer/wtra8r said it best.

Look what we would do has no bearing on this. If he did what you have suggested he would not have asked for advice on the subject. Because that is common sense. I doubt this young man would let it effect safety of flight. He sounds smart...he'll keep the Capt. focused on his duties in the cockpit.

Personally, I have seen this happen. It turns out ugly ever-time.

As the other crew-member you can only lose Little or Big.

If he confronts them....well I think that would be losing Big.

But, hey I guess I like to be foward and direct. I only suggested things he might not be thinking about.

And, No this is not CRM.....unless it ruins Crew Harmony/A/C and Crew/Pax safety.

This will go away...very quickly. Most Companies....when they find out about such a thing....they fire the F/A. She is expendable. They find another....only for his sake I hope the Capt. doesn't start working her over too.

Peace.

Archie Bunker said:
Horrible advice. In the meantime, while the Capt and the FA are acting unprofessional in full view of paying passengers, the FO is just supposed to bury his head in the sand, and ignore the situation. Real professional....great CRM.
Many times I have brought it to their attention telling them "This is not the place nor time. We have a job to do." But I grow tired of doing this.

Also, this issue is compounded because the Captain is the Chief Pilot. So, I have no choice to keep biting my tongue and continue looking for other employment.

So, thanks to all who responded with some serious advice and funny ones too!

thanks again...

Are you above or below the Mason-Dixon line?

These situations do take care of themselves and everyone loves a trainwreck!

XSWANN,

Being a 'slam-clicker' is not the right approach; instead, set the example for professionalism. Invite the captain to a meeting (over dinner, in the hotel room, doesn't matter) regarding concerns of yours. At the meeting, cover the basic points:

If they are arguing like husband and wife in front of passengers,

1. They are acting unprofessionally, embarrassing themselves, you, and the company in the process

2. A passenger at some point will eventually complain, leading to negative consequences professionally

3. Their open behavior will ultimately lead to being found out by their respective spouses, leading to negative consequences personally

4. As captain, and ESPECIALLY as chief pilot, he sets the standards for all pilots. He is supposed to be leading by example, meaning a GOOD example.
(Frankly, he should apologize to you for putting you in this position, but the most you can hope for is a change in behavior.)

I would leave it to him as captain and chief pilot to take care of talking to the flight attendant.

Freight Dog said:
XSWANN,

Being a 'slam-clicker' is not the right approach; instead, set the example for professionalism. Invite the captain to a meeting (over dinner, in the hotel room, doesn't matter) regarding concerns of yours. At the meeting, cover the basic points:

If they are arguing like husband and wife in front of passengers,

1. They are acting unprofessionally, embarrassing themselves, you, and the company in the process

2. A passenger at some point will eventually complain, leading to negative consequences professionally

3. Their open behavior will ultimately lead to being found out by their respective spouses, leading to negative consequences personally

4. As captain, and ESPECIALLY as chief pilot, he sets the standards for all pilots. He is supposed to be leading by example, meaning a GOOD example.
(Frankly, he should apologize to you for putting you in this position, but the most you can hope for is a change in behavior.)

I would leave it to him as captain and chief pilot to take care of talking to the flight attendant.

Very well said!!

Latest resources

Back