Crew luggage ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkiMoguls; said:
The metal frame is good, but it's heavier than the Strongbag V2.

Of course the Stealth is heavier - it has a steel frame!

Personally, I prefer a bag manufactured in Missouri (even if its nylon is sourced from China) over a bag completely made over there.

I've had a 737 Stealth bag for coming up on 4 years now, two of which while at a regional and nearly one year spent commuting on RJs. While my bag is way overbuilt for Part 91 flying I won't own another type of bag again...its durability is well worth the price and weight premium.

Go PNT. 5 years and counting, three sets of wheels, looks like it has been through heck but keeps working and fitting overheads and under seats.

My Stongbag (which i bought to help a new businessman) blows zippers, huge size, unsteady with a pubs bag, it's my backup and I haven't needed it because the prime is a PNT. He does have good service, but so does PNT and I haven't needed anything from them...

Score,

Blown zippers? Not on the V2. Old news buddy.
Huge size? 3/4" taller....wow that's waaaaayyyyy bigger
Not unsteady at all unless you're taking a corner to quickly.

I'm done listening to whiners. Unless you have one of the new bags, stop crying. It's a great product, and you gotta give the guy some kudo's for stepping up to the plate. He put a lot on the line and has only my admiration - and my business.

Thread started for a guy who wanted some advice, but as always this thread is ending up as a bashing from one opinion to another.

So just my opinion, check out the new stuff from Strongbags, and don't listen to whiners.

"All things being equal - FAT people use more SOAP!"

ski

Ok Ski, I wasn't bashing nor whining, simple facts, now I'll bash: I was one of the "bro's" who helped the dude out by buying his version one POS bag, I'm now stuck with that POS bag and with what thanks? A few % knocked off the V2? No thanks, if V1 sucked ass, he should have recalled them. I'm glad you like yours, mine sucks.

Take a corner to quickly? YGBFSM. I walk at a normal speed, this thing flips at anything other than a geriatric crawl, and don't let one wheel hit a bump, your done right there, start your departure recovery procedures.

The owner has acknowledged he outsoruces overseas because "that is the only way he can make money". Hope his kids find a job with that attitude. I would buy one for twice the price if he would find a way to do it in the USA. His choice and loss.

Maybe "HE" is "YOU"?

Go to Costco and buy one of there roller bags and when it breaks down bring it back and get a new one free(keep the receipt). My wife has being this for the past four years. The wheels usually give out first, but she has had handle and clip on failures too.

Costco quit this program. Too many crews rotating their luggage.

Seems Skimoguls may also be known as bodycheck over on this website:
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/regional/44586-strong-bags-luggage-works-7.html

he was outed by another member for his one post glowing and highly detailed claims of great product. Nice one Gear Down/stongbags...

Originally Posted by bodycheck
I don't usually post anything, but I came across this thread, and I have to say that I bought the Vortex 2 from strongbags and this bag beats the 3 pnt bags that I've had.

The first 2 pnt bags that i paid for that were plastic, didn't last longer than 14 months. I called PNT (luggageworks) for warranty repair, and i got peaved to say the least when they wanted me to pay for shipping both ways for warranty work. They had the bag 3 weeks. Not good. Maybe things have changed, but Strongbags have my loyalty from the minute I opened up the box, and thoroughly checked out the Vortex 2.

I unzipped the inner lining of the V2, to inspect the construction, and they really have beefed up the bag from the previous model - which i think was their first product that they came up with. I hadn't started hearing about them until recently, so I checked them out and bought one.

I'm glad I did.

The zippers are top notch stainless steel with a groove on the slider part where the arm actually sets into that so the puller does not come off. Unlike my previous PNT bags where i lost a few zippers my first couple of months. No biggie, but just noticed that the zippers on the SB were significantly better.

The frame is as solid as it could be built, and is a few pounds lighter than the PNT bags.

The material, and everything else about the bag looks like it is high quality.

Yes it's made in China, but so is the skin from PNT!!!! Just look inside the bag for that made in china tag. It's there. The guys at PNT in Missouri, just assemble the bag in their factory with some metal pieces and screws. In my mind that is not a "made in the USA" product if they import the majority of their luggage from China. I have had a duffle bag that I still use from PNT that I like (expensive), that has a made in china tag in it.

I buy USA when I can, but when it just makes sense, I buy whatever works for me.

So to me, it was important to have a bag that was strong, with replaceable parts that I can change myself.

I talked to guys that had the first strongbag, and they liked them. The ones that i checked over did have a lot of zipper pulls missing, but he fixed that, and went even further by getting really smooth stainless steel zippers.

I haven't seen a V2 without a missing pull, and the guy I talked to had his V2 when SB first came out with the "improved" V2 version. He really liked it.

So take what you want out of 1 pilots opinion, and it is just that, but I am sold on Strongbags, and not by a slim margin. They beat PNT bags in price, weight, and quality. The guy knows what he's doing.

I did my homework, and all the issues mentioned above have been taken care of. Oh, I did read above that on the first one, there was part of the frame at the bottom where it was metal. There is no metal foot anymore - they molded their own solid plastic foot that is part of the frame. Won't leave any scratches on my hardwood, but then I won't drag it on the wood anyway.

I've had it with PNT. I gave them a shot, well 3 shots, and came up short on 2 of them. The other bag I just got tired of and was too small for me. 13"er.

Be good, be good at it.

BC

And he apparently lies about it, here he claims to NOT be the owner...

http://forums.flightinfo.com/member.php?u=3013
Here he claims he is the owner:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showpost.php?p=1246741&postcount=15

who do you want to trust with your buck, the one who self promotes and appears to lie? Your choice.

Last edited:
Well....

This has certainly turned interesting!

Ski - I don't know if you are the owner of Strongbags or not. I do know I've flown with a few crewmembers lately who were very happy with a new bag they had, unfortunately I don't remember the name - it might well have been a Strongbag, I honestly just don't recall.

That said if they are your bags, bashing others isn't really the way to go with marketing in an online forum. I'm not completely satisfied with my PNT bags - they are heavy, expensive, and expensive to repair. That said, they've served well for a number of years and are a known quantity (to me). I've never owned a TravelPro, but I've seen a number of them in various states of falling apart over the years - plenty to know that's not what I want.

I've flown for ACMI carriers for over a decade now - I pack heavy (way over that the suitcase should hold) for long trips and I've yet to have a zipper fail (knock on wood). Seams do eventually wear/tear out, I've had the side rail caved in (I still don't know how the bag apes did that one), zipper pulls torn off (every single one in one flight - it had to be deliberate vandalism), and my damn handle won't stay locked on one side when I lean on it. Like I said - it's not a perfect product, but it's seen a LOT of abuse over the years and still serves well (with two overhauls, one warranty one on my nickle - actually about $200). The Strongbag may do the same - I just don't know.

As far as the merit of the bag being based only on it's fitting in an overhead - as I said previously, I own the International bag. I don't know which dimension is in question on the Strongbag, but I wouldn't have bought a bag which wouldn't fit at all. I presently using a Swiss Army (whatever the real brand name is) computer bag as a flight case. It's days are numbered because it won't always fit in the overhead on one of those $h!tbox ERJ's, and I don't care to leave my laptop in the hands of the bag apes (no offense to bag apes everywhere - except the dirtballs at Heathrow who can die a slow, painful death - but I digress).

Scoreboard - I'm impressed! In all the abuse I've put my bag though, the wheels are one thing I've never managed to destroy. How in the #ell did you manage to go through three sets in five years!?!? Inquiring minds want to know!

Latest resources

Back