• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crew Bags on CRJ200

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Leave it to USAir to do yet something else to piss off the paying passengers. Now the folks back in 10 and 11 don't even have access to their overheads.

Every one is yelling fuel cost. what would happen if we were to say until you fix this stupid stuff (pay, bags, and jerking us around) we start burning fuel like it is going out of style. I know that 310 vs 290 results in about 600lbs/hr for a min or two savings in time, if they continue to say pay cut, qol cut and we just say ok. well lets say ok you cut my pay by 2 bucks I’ll raise your operating cost by 200 to 300 per hour we all complain about our wages but what if we got the point to there is now way that they can save enough in our salary to make up for the fuel we can burn (fill in blanks in where you can raise cost with out messing up pax.) this way we don’t have to wait for alpa to grow thee gonads to strike.

...and then the Embry Rediculous graduate (who obviously skipped his economics class) proposed a plan to kill the goose that laid the golden eggs.

Wow.

The FAA really cares where we put our bags!!! But ASA thinks we are that dumb, and we don't know anyone from the FAA....we know other people in the industry dumbas@@@!!!!

They tell us the FAA came to ASA saying your bags are not in the right place--GIVe ME a BREAK!!!!

Ok ASA guys/gals. I HATE this "bag program" too. This is one of the most stupid things to come around. We can't have our overnight bags in a place where they won't get taken, things stolen out of them, damaged, lost, etc? Who do we talk too about this? Where is the union?
With what seems like EVERY other crj operator out there putting bags in thier overheads, maybe its ok on our airplanes too. :rolleyes: Being violated because you don't want your stuff ruined or misplaced is unreal.
Think of this. They say that the weight of the bags is included in the airplanes with the modified doors. So by that saying the bags should be fine in the overhead.
Also in line with this... Why didn't they just include the weights in the BOW for all the airlplanes like they have forever in the past?
What can we do beside b!tch about it?

bailout said:
Hows that going to stop them from being damaged?? i.e. at the bottom of the pile?

Well, obviously you don't want to put your laptop there, but I've used my current bag for several years and have put it in the cargo bay for most of that time where it has mostly been on the bottom. It only has some minor cosmetic damage.

And I don't have a top of the line $300 bag either. I got this bag from ebags.com. I paid $80 for it three years ago with the ALPA discount, and I've been pretty happy with it. In fact, I think that it is better than most of the expensive bags that I've seen.

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/professional_22_upright/product_detail/index.cfm?ModelID=8889

I have heard of passengers finding crew bags in the cabin and going through the contents or simply stealing them. I prefer to keep my bag in the baggage compartment. Admittedly, it did get left in MEM once when the rampers ignored the crew tags and unloaded it, but that is once in almost four years. Even then, they forwarded it and I had it by the end of the day. Of course, that is why now I always check to make sure it is still there.

>but that is once in almost four years. <<

You have been VERY lucky. Its happened to somebody in my crew at least 6-7 times this year alone.

I am in RGT right now, and today we talked about this. You will get violated by the FAA if they catch your bag in the 50 seater that does not have the modified door. It is because of our new bag weight (valet and checked) rules. The reason we were told was because the bag in the overhead bin is not included in the BOW of the aircraft. If you are on the 40 seater or the 50 with the mod closet door you can put your bag in the closet, if not you can get busted by our overzealous FAA friends. This was straight from two different IP's at recurrent. One IP even reported that the FAA is watching for us to pull our bags off the plane, then see if we secure the door before we leave to bust us on two things instead of just one. They also said be looking for a mandatory read on FLICA and an alert in the near future about it. Take it for what it's worth.

Someone mentioned one way around this.. If youre bag is small enough it can be in the overheads as a 'personal item'. Thats the FAA itselfs rule!

or what about adding the bag to the weight in the load manifest? That should work also, because then its counted!

Have it your way

company policy: outside
my policy: always inside no matter what.

It is always easier to deal with saying sorry, than chasing a bag you'll never find again. if my bag disappears, i'm going home sick.

Latest resources

Back