Crash off Miami beach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RIP to the Crew & pax of the Mallard

On a side note, a 1900d in cys did have a turbine come off the shaft during a static TO resulting in an engine fire. The CA pulled the fire handle, and evacuated pax on the runway. Best place to have this happen-on the ground!

aeronautic1 said:

This is but one case and I know of maybe two others directly, but in over 4,000 hours of flying PT-6A powered aircraft, I have have found them to be very reliable. That's probably one of the greatest reasons the PT-6 is retrofitted to the Mallards.

I am praying for those involved and their loved ones.

Over 4,000hrs in PT-6 powered aircraft. No engine failures or shutdowns.
2,500hrs in Allison 501 powered aircraft (Herk). 10 engine failures/shutdowns.

F/O Clark Hurd
DC-3 BQN PR

RIP

Last edited:
Knwing the age of the fleet, probably lost a wing like that C130 fire bomber. That's my guess.

You should have stopped when you were spouting off about the PT6. That much is shear stupidity. I've flown behind them and worked on them, and stake my life on it. But when you brought up T-130, it happens I have personal knowledge there, and clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

What about the age of the aircraft caused the loss? Do YOU know?

Wow, that video is hard to watch. My condolences to the families and friends of those who died.

I hitched a ride with Chalks about 5 years ago and it was one of the best experiences I've had in aviation. The Captain, who was (is?) also the Chief Pilot, went out of his way to explain why they couldn't get me on the first flight to Nassau and promised that if I waited around they would get me on the next one. And the landing in Nassau was awesome. Cool crew, great experience.

RIP guys.

2LT Justin Campbell, USMC, midair off FL coast near Ormond Beach

Paul DeSanctis, from Reading, PA - Chalk's Ocean Airways

Godspeed and tailwinds gentlemen...a part of me has gone with you.

Until we meet again.

Latest resources

Back