• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crash in MN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All the recent word that I've heard from the FAA is that that whole theory about ice "bridging" around the boots is total myth. In all their experiments they have never been able to make that happen, therefore I doubt that was the cause of this accident

I just saw that lovely NASA video during recurrent. According to that video, ice bridging IS a problem for older boots. Modern boots do not have this problem as they inflate at a much quicker rate.. Again, according to the NASA video.

ice "bridging"

Fair enough Chperplt. I hadn't heard the exemption about the older boots. Now I might have to totally retract what I speculated before about this not being a problem, because the airplane that I saw in MKT, which I think is the same one that crashed, is an older model. I thought it was a -200 but the news guys are saying -100. Whatever. Regardless, it still seems like VERY marginal weather at the time of the approach.

Well lets just think about what could have caused this accident with the info that we do have. If there was light snow on the ground, then the freezing level was just above the airport no more than a few thousand feet at the most. There was no mention of any ice pellets or freezing rain in the weather report that was posted. That would be a really big clue to speculate about a severe icing encounter that would bring down a King Air that quickly. Lets face it folks, a King Air is a tank and it is going to take a hell of alot of ice for one to fall out of the sky. I would speculate if there was infact only light snow falling at the time of the accident, then there was not enough moisture in the air or the temperature inversion required to bring down such a solid machine as a KA so fast.
Next, if in fact they were attempting a second approach, then i would speculate they went to mins the first time and had no luck. It would not be un heard of for a pilot to try to duck just a bit under mins and give it a second try. This would be my bet and that would make this a plain and simple case of CFIT. Im not claiming to know what happened, but with the weather info that has been posted here, I just dont buy the severe icing story.

I just got a laugh. Some new channel was interviewing a former NTSB chairperson. And they News guys said,"well when they find the CVR things will be more clear". The NTSB guy said well I doubt this aircraft had a CVR, and the news guy responded, " well yes It does I looked it up!"

Jacka$$. How many king airs have CVRs? Anyone know.

Also I bet Ice had something to do with it, however this it starting to look like a CFIT issue. I write that as I sit in my leather office chair with a very low blood pressure. I'm sure they had their hands full.

It was a late 80's model B-200. I think maybe an 89'. I may be mistaken but in the later models King Airs I think they did have CVR's, I may be wrong though.

The approaches at the airport are all non-precision. VOR, VOR-A, GPS, GPS-A. The lowest one was the GPS, and that one was
371-1.

Plates

His wife and two daughters were reported to be aboard also. I wanted to look at the plates but don't have them. Can somebody forward the URL to a site where I can pull the plates?

Freezing rain could have been part of the cause of this accident. If they were on the second time around for the approach in freezing rain and a full airplane, along with some passenger out of his/her seat asking "how much longer till we land" it does get stressful and is very distracting.

I have been doing some looking around to try and find more info about this crash. Despite what was posted earlier on this board, there has been mention of moderate freezing rain in the area at the time of the crash. I dont know what info is correct but that would obviously change my point of view that this was a pure CFIT accident.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back