• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crash in MN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flew a 200 for 12 years. Dunno about a 100 model, however the 200 model has a limitation of 140 kias minimum airspeed in icing conditions. Below this speed, the AOA is such that ice will acrete on the bottom of the wing behind the area protected by the boot. The limitation was imposed as an AD following several accidents in which this phenomena was cited

Flew an ILS into BLF in freezing fog several years back. 140 till short final reference the limitation. Slowed to 100 over the fence. Inspection after landing revealed a thin coat of ice back to the spar from root to tip on the underside of the wings.

Maybe a deer hunter was sighting in his rifle and OOOPPPPSSS or maybe someone was ticked about aircraft flying over his land and he took a pot shot. There is always the chance that the airplane flew over a pot field, I guess that only happens in Tenn. Pesonally I stick with the freezing rain theory and a large buildup of ice on the under carriage and wing. I have seen clear ice(the only problem was I was in the airplane) slow and airplane down 40 kts. The biggest problem in the increased weight of the aircraft which increases the stall speed etc,etc. The aircraft may have a CVR but I doupt it has a flight recorder which would confirm all the theory's. Until then you'll be careful out there small aircraft kill people and that is a fact.

mckpickle said:
I just got a laugh. Some new channel was interviewing a former NTSB chairperson. And they News guys said,"well when they find the CVR things will be more clear". The NTSB guy said well I doubt this aircraft had a CVR, and the news guy responded, " well yes It does I looked it up!"

Jacka$$. How many king airs have CVRs? Anyone know.

Multi-eng. turbine powered aircraft with 6 or more seats and for which 2 pilots are required by certification or operating rules must be equipped with a CVR according to 135.151. The requirements for KA are a trade-off. Obviously the KA doesn't require 2 pilot for certification. Most operators have Ops Sec A015 Auto-pilot in lieu of SIC. But if ever the autopilot becomes inop and the operator hasn't provided for SIC training and checking (having an SIC will also allow for some lower than std t/o min.), they are grounded for IFR. Many late model KA have option for CVRs if they are going to do 135.

1 -- Does anyone know the official designator for the airport where this accident occured? K ???

2 --- is there a place on the web where you could find the JEPP apch charts for this airport? url please.

Thanks

don't forget that tailplane icing could also adversely affect flight characteristics. I have no idea why when we talk about icing people ALWAYS think of only the wings becoming contaminated. Tailplane icing should be considered a more hazardous condition. The one thing to remember when your tailplane ices... the plane will react in the opposite direction as your pitch change corrections. For instance, as you pull back trying to get the plane to climb because you think the ice is causing a decrease in altitude, you are actually just forcing that nose further down. So now think of yourself pulling even harder as the nose comes further down.... and well you can figure the rest out from there.

surplus1 said:
1 -- Does anyone know the official designator for the airport where this accident occured? K ???

2 --- is there a place on the web where you could find the JEPP apch charts for this airport? url please.

Thanks

surplus,

The ICAO identifier for the Eveleth-Virginia airport is KEVM. I don't know of a site for JEPP plates, but there are a couple of links to the NOS charts posted on page one of this thread.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does. Thanks a lot. I needed the identifier so I could struggle with the NOS charts.

According to the NTSB, the King Air was operated by Aviation Charter, Inc. of Eden Prarie, MN.

An NTSB search brought up the following previous accident by the same carrier:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001208X09302&key=1

Any takers on how long before the buffoons at CNN dig this up and begin to try and draw parallels. It should be intriguing to watch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back