Courtesy commentary for Lakes and Express Jet crew-members

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrickTop

I will preface this comment with the recognition of both airlines house some very competent and capable crews however many of your crew members' behavior is earning you a negative reputation among the industry. Obviously every airline has a select group of unprofessional or undeserving employees but there are two who have notable reputations that are damaging you level of respect among the industry and earning you negative reputations. Ask yourselves, "Do Delta/United/Continental/Southwest crew members conduct themselves in this manner?"

Great Lakes:
The overwhelming presence of you radio signature "CYAAAAA" is adolescent and mocked as unprofessional and more so, annoying. It is very discouraging and you are silently being criticized by other airline crew members and Air traffic controllers as children. Politely suggest you make a move to discontinue the trend.

Express Jet: Sadly I encounter numerous pilots in your domiciles that simply have not adopted a polite or professional attitude. A recent discussion was done on an undisclosed in-house website regarding airlines and their "arrogance" or "disconcerting levels cockiness" or unprofessional behavior, and Express Jet was named to have the highest level of "cocky and fraternity like" attitudes. Please pass word that the young "Jet pilot jerk" attitude is more prevalent in your operations than any other and it would be beneficial to initiate movements to adopt a more mature and respectful group ethic.

Examples are; Eating in front of customers, wearing sunglasses inside terminals, baggy or un-tucked uniforms, un-ironed shirts, dirty pants and stained yellow shirts, lack of verbal or communicative respect for gate agents/passengers/or ground workers, wearing headphones while walking in uniform, not introducing yourselves to an offline carrier crews on jump-seat or non-revenue flights. Not communicating professionally and respectfully during radio operations i.e. (Interrupting/yelling/insulting ramp coordinators or other crews) Please practice proper radio and communication edict.

The examples above are not confined to these two listed airlines but they are arguably most prevalent and reputable at these two airlines and it is in the interest of your profession you consider how your personal behavior contributes to a compounding collective outcome and presentation in your airline's operation among the industry.

Last edited:
ExpressJet has over 4000 pilots, my friend. There's a good chance that you aren't going to like all of them.

Get over it.

Must be Skywest

For the record, you guys are notorious throughout the industry for not allowing the hotel vans to wait on other crews.

That's pretty low.

Last edited:
Irrelevant??? How? If I were going to call out another pilot group then I would be ready to name my own pilot group for comparison!

Irrelevant??? How? If I were going to call out another pilot group then I would be ready to name my own pilot group for comparison!

Because this is not a competitive or combative "my airline is better than yours" commentary. It is commentary that says please act professional.

Because this is not a competitive or combative "my airline is better than yours" commentary. It is commentary that says please act professional.

With all due respect, what business is it of yours to call anyone out? Especially on an "anonymous" forum? I don't have a dog in this fight, but come on. You're just a pilot like everyone else. So either you're really this stupid, or you're trolling.

Politeness is for powdered wig prissy pansies, parading pompous perms and pretentious pseudo-pilot presentations. The guys that you perceive as impolite or gruff merely have an adequate and healthy pair of testicles that produce normal levels of testosterone. Fraternities are mostly gay; many of the pilots that you describe are most likely more independently minded individuals. Do not let their existence unsettle you. Certainly, rudeness is often uncalled for, however, an aloof and indifferent demeanor is every man's right...

Original Poster,
I believe that it is simply a pilot thing. When I see a new guy use slang on the radio or not look professional, I personally blame the leaders who have failed to teach the new guy the standard.

If you go to a fire house or police dept, you will find the new guys learn from the senior guys and expectations are raised. We don't have these leaders. Maybe alpa should make it part of their platform, or maybe more captains should try and change things like you are attempting to do.

However, placing this demand on the senior/major pilots is difficult because there are so many who are essentially worthless to the profession.

You have a high percentage of former/current military guys who's gloating attitude is a far worse personality trait than a young guy's lack of professionalism. Somehow, even DAL atlanta seems to have this character flaw permeate their culture. I would much rather pass a young guy who doesn't have it all together than some moron who thinks he is God's gift to aviation.

My personal recommendation? ALPA needs a guy named Robert Connelly (Legacy ASA chief pilot) to push MEC's to adopt a uniform standard and to actually force pilots to comply.

Latest resources

Back