Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Could this be the start of the END of Southwest Airlines?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again...5% of $8 = FORTY CENTS. Wow!

I don't get it. Why does General Lee, OYS and Fubijaakr hate Southwest Airlines?

None of the posters here seem to hate any other airline but those three make it quite obvious that they hate Southwest. I really don't understand.

5% of LUV's market cap of 7.3 Billion is $365,000,000.
Pretty soon we might actually start talking about some real $$$

Fubi, please tell me you pay for some financial advice.

I don't get it. Why does General Lee, OYS and Fubijaakr hate Southwest Airlines?

None of the posters here seem to hate any other airline but those three make it quite obvious that they hate Southwest. I really don't understand.

Interview process weeded them out, pure and simple. Of course they will never admit it, but it is a proven fact. Just wait, they will post on this thread again proving their repudiation by Southwest. LOSERVILLE is missing a few idiots.

Wasn't it in 2004 when Delta lost BILLIONs?

A BILLLION is a THOUSAND MILLION.

Yall lost THOUSANDS of MILLIONS of dollars in the first decade of this century.

So...

...NO, I don't believe this is the beginning of the end of SWA.

In other news, Southwest pilots still make more than Delta pilots flying heavy equipment on international routes.

Yes we lost money, BUT...

Southwest posts 3Q loss on fuel hedges

Southwest Airlines falls to 3Q loss on fuel-hedging charges, AirTran boosts revenue

David Koenig, AP Airlines Writer, On Thursday October 20, 2011, 11:24 am
DALLAS (AP) -- Southwest Airlines Co. suffered its first losing quarter in two years because its fuel-hedging bets turned sour when oil prices fell this summer.

But its fares rose and planes were packed. That helped the company's airline business make money in the third quarter
Southwest's results suggest that air travel is holding up despite nervousness that consumers and companies will cut back because of the weak economy.

The discount airline, which flies more U.S. passengers than anyone, said Thursday that bookings, including business travel, have remained strong into October. It predicted that revenue per passenger will keep rising in the last three months of the year.

Investors seemed to focus on travel demand and shrug off the hedging losses. The company's stock price rose 23 cents, or 2.6 percent, to $8.94 in morning trading.Southwest reported a third-quarter loss of $140 million, or 18 cents per share, compared with a profit of $205 million, or 27 cents per share, a year earlier.

The loss included $262 million in special items, including costs related to the purchase of AirTran Airways but mostly tied to fuel hedges that fell in value. Southwest's last losing quarter, in 2009, was also marked by fuel-hedging setbacks. Hedging is like insurance against a spike in oil prices; airlines use it to smooth out volatile energy prices.

Airlines must recalculate their hedges every quarter, and Southwest's lost value when crude prices fell by about one-sixth during the period. Southwest didn't lose cash, but must report the lower value on its books. With oil swinging up in recent weeks, Southwest said its hedges have regained some of the lost value.

Can't get away from those accounting charges. And look, the title says Airtran boosted revenues. Too bad the culture has been rocked.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So, nope, not the beginning of the end. It's just a losing 3rd quarter that will not prevent a profitable entire year. It would be a shame to let this quarter prevent 40 straight years of profitability.

Yes the culture has been rocked, but just like anything else, stablility is in our future.

Good lord!

What kind of sick f*** would start such a thread.

Are you so hateful that you would love to see the demise of 45,000 families livelihood?

I would not wish that for anyone or company. You may think you can use a moniker and that does not reflect on your character but you are sorely wrong. Your character is who YOU have to live with, not anyone else.

You are one lame excuse for a human being. Really. Allow that to sink in for a moment.

By the by, SWA and Delta will both do just fine. Both are financially healthy and offer a good product to its customers. Not that you deserve the privilege to work for either company. You represent Delta in a horrible light and I have no doubt they would not have hired you if they had a hint at how you represent that good company. You are one that I have absolutely have no doubt is viewed as one that slipped through the cracks.

Truly pathetic.

Latest resources

Back