Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Could this be the start of the END of Southwest Airlines?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your serious?

Dr's.

Lawyers.

Plumbers.

Welders.

Auto mechanics.

The list goes on and on.

Personally, I have nothing against buying a type for the job. It just makes economical sense. $7K is really not a lot of money.

However, the career path is much different for the occupations you list above. You've already spend close to 60K to get hired to fly. Your example further deviates, as its already feasible to land a job flying without this additional investment.

Its much more honest to acknowledge that you paid to get better situated for employment and admit that it isnt the same thing as fixing toilet leaks.

I paid for every rating I have, except for 3 of the type ratings. I paid for the 737, of course.

Would you place a bet if you knew you had a chance to get over a 1,000% return? OR,
if you get the interview without the type, get hired, buy the type - Guaranteed 1,000% return?

To me, it seems foolish to not participate in the 1,000% return program. It's exactly like buying Microsoft of Apple in the '80s, but different.

To each our own fellas. Call it what you want, I call it a J-O-B that puts something in my bank account every 5th and 20th.

This is the first airline I've been at that has been around long enough to call it a career. That alone is worth $6,000 to me. Security.

I paid for every rating I have, except for 3 of the type ratings. I paid for the 737, of course.

Would you place a bet if you knew you had a chance to get over a 1,000% return? OR,
if you get the interview without the type, get hired, buy the type - Guaranteed 1,000% return?

To me, it seems foolish to not participate in the 1,000% return program. It's exactly like buying Microsoft of Apple in the '80s, but different.

To each our own fellas. Call it what you want, I call it a J-O-B that puts something in my bank account every 5th and 20th.

This is the first airline I've been at that has been around long enough to call it a career. That alone is worth $6,000 to me. Security.

I totally agree. You (and many others) made a good choice.

What I find disingenuous are those who claim that its no different than getting your flight certificates or attending medical school. It's not.

I'm pretty sure the "Type" debate has been had. Everything has been said. There are no more things to say.

Repeat to your own boredom level

Your serious?

Yup.

Big difference. Dr.'s do an internship. They don't pay to work at the hospital.

Again, lawyers don't pay to join the law firm or to be a partner.

Plumbers.
Welders.

Auto mechanics.

The list goes on and on.[/QUOTE]

Don't know about any of the above. I'm not talking about paying for your education. I paid for my ratings through the civilian rank, and was fortunate to get hired at a very young age after flying for a regional in the 80's. That being said, I also paid for my college. But I didn't pay to go to work at the regional I got hired at in 1987. Matter of fact, as little as I was paid, it was still a paycheck to me, not to them to go to indoc. Big difference WRT to pay for the job. The above companies I used as an example were companies you had to write a check to them to show up for job training. I didn't include SWA in my list. Someone else did.

Last edited:
C'mon... this is FI. The land of sprawling dead horses! ;)

Think of it as a slow news day.
Yea lets talk about how a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane

Yup.

Big difference. Dr.'s do an internship. They don't pay to work at the hospital.

Again, lawyers don't pay to join the law firm or to be a partner.

Welders.

Auto mechanics.

The list goes on and on.

Don't know about any of the above. I'm not talking about paying for your education. I paid for my ratings through the civilian rank, and was fortunate to get hired at a very young age after flying for a regional in the 80's. That being said, I also paid for my college. But I didn't pay to go to work at the regional I got hired at in 1987. Matter of fact, as little as I was paid, it was still a paycheck to me, not to them to go to indoc. Big difference WRT to pay for the job. The above companies I used as an example were companies you had to write a check to them to show up for job training. I didn't include SWA in my list. Someone else did.[/QUOTE]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

What!? You came out of Military Aviation in 1987 and could only get a job at a Commuter? Are you kidding?

In 1987, every single major was hiring...a lot... Unless you had a DUI or an accident/incident on your record, how could you get out of the military and not go straight to a major. Most military guys I knew had 3 or 4 classdates before they ever separated..

Your stupid, irrational posts are now actually explainable...

Don't know about any of the above. I'm not talking about paying for your education. I paid for my ratings through the civilian rank, and was fortunate to get hired at a very young age after flying for a regional in the 80's. That being said, I also paid for my college. But I didn't pay to go to work at the regional I got hired at in 1987. Matter of fact, as little as I was paid, it was still a paycheck to me, not to them to go to indoc. Big difference WRT to pay for the job. The above companies I used as an example were companies you had to write a check to them to show up for job training. I didn't include SWA in my list. Someone else did.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

What!? You came out of Military Aviation in 1987 and could only get a job at a Commuter? Are you kidding?
No, I'm not kidding. You weren't even a speck in your daddy's sack back then, so never mind the fact that you're ASSuming I was a military pilot when clearly you are suffering from cranial rectal itus. Did you fail 3rd grade reading? No wonder you haven't graduated to 4th grade yet?

In 1987, every single major was hiring...a lot... Unless you had a DUI or an accident/incident on your record, how could you get out of the military and not go straight to a major. Most military guys I knew had 3 or 4 classdates before they ever separated..
That's because, like I explained, I wasn't a military pilot you ASSWIPE! What the hell is your major malfunction numbnuts? Did a Delta guy really sodomize your old lady that bad? Jeez, I feel sorry for your parents.

Your stupid, irrational posts are now actually explainable...
Yours aren't. I just wish you would stop posing as a SWA pilot, let alone a pilot.

Hey southwest pilots. If anyone knows this guy, can you please PM me his name. I'd love to know who this guy is?
Thanks...

I totally agree. You (and many others) made a good choice.

What I find disingenuous are those who claim that its no different than getting your flight certificates or attending medical school. It's not.
It is exactly the same, you're being untrue to the facts.

Plumbers require education, experience, certification/competency, a license, they require tools of the trade.

A plumber pays for those things as they go, just like every pilot. SWA included. You think fixing a leaky pipe is easy then, go try it for a living.

Your example further deviates, as its already feasible to land a job flying without this additional investment.
How much you or a plumber spends or doesn't is irrelevant to the discussion.

Neither does it matter who pays.

I could join the Army and they would teach me to be a plumber while they pay me, probably get me a cert, same with being a Dr, let Uncle Sam foot the bill. I could have Rich Mom and Dad pay, or I could go into debt and take out Obama student loans. Or, I could get a scholarship i earned via good grades, another form of work.

Everybody pays for their training, even you.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back