Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ky.BrownBourbn

JetBlue CEO wants closer ties with American

JetBlue CEO wants closer ties with American; says Easter, Passover flights helping March

Associated Press – 6 hrs ago

NEW YORK (AP) -- The CEO of JetBlue Airways Corp. expects closer ties with partner airlines, including American.
JetBlue has so-called code-sharing deals with 23 airlines, mostly foreign ones. In most cases, JetBlue sells tickets on the other airline's flights as if they were JetBlue flights, and the two share the revenue. JetBlue wants more partners to reciprocate by selling seats on JetBlue flights.
JetBlue also has a partnership with American Airlines on a few dozen routes. "We look forward to deepening and expanding the relationship with American Airlines," said CEO Dave Barger said at a JPMorgan Chase conference Monday. He didn't provide details.
American parent AMR Corp. has agreed to merge with US Airways Group Inc., which would make the new American stronger in the same East Coast markets where JetBlue thrives, such as New York, Boston and Florida.
JetBlue is expected to soon release February traffic numbers, and Barger said they would be "even weaker than we expected," partly because families canceled trips when Superstorm Sandy caused schools to scrap plans for winter breaks.
Barger said March is shaping up as "very strong," helped by Easter and most of Passover falling in March instead of April this year.
Unlike most of its bigger rivals, JetBlue is adding flights. The New York-based carrier expects to boost seats by 7.7 percent in the first quarter over the same period last year.
Shares of JetBlue rose 19 cents, or 3.1 percent, to $6.34 in afternoon trading.

I think this is equivilent to JB saying they want to start dating AA. We dont know if AA (Parker) will be open to it or not, and if it will be a long term marriage or just a fling.

The prettiest chick is Alaska (dont judge by the tail logo!)

I see this as a signal that JetBlue doesn't want a war in NYC and especially BOS. They want to feed AA's international flights instead.

Jetblue is a sitting duck in regards to getting acquired. And my $$$ has always been on AA. I think it's just a matter of time: Oneworld wants/needs a strong airline in NYC. Quite simply, JB is a successful airline that has a huge operation in prime territory of some of the world's most competitive turf: NYC. For that reason alone, they will eventually get snapped up.

Last edited:
I think this is equivilent to JB saying they want to start dating AA. We dont know if AA (Parker) will be open to it or not, and if it will be a long term marriage or just a fling.

The prettiest chick is Alaska (dont judge by the tail logo!)

While Alaska might be the prettiest,and right now she puts out, just with a lot of dudes at the same time. She is the chick you know you will have to whine and dine, buy her expensive presents, and then present her with a load of cash to marry. The nice thing is she has a good job, the bad thing is she's been f!cking around and her other boyfriends are not going to be happy if you take her off the market. The only reason you marry her is to get her to be exclusive.., but if you are already banging her do you really care?

JetBlue is a shy pretty prudish chick that is happy with a hamburger, and if you get her on the right day she's going to beg you to marry her. The problem is she doesn't make a ton of money and has lots of student loans, but she has a lot of potential to in the future. She also lives in a really nice house a senator left her in an exclusive neiborhood you know you want to live in.

Last edited:
I see this as a signal that JetBlue doesn't want a war in NYC and especially BOS. They want to feed AA's international flights instead.

No one wants a war, but JetBlue's competitor in NYC has never been American, its always been Delta. Yes we overlap with a lot of American routes, but American has always had an instinct to flee if we start impacting their territory which is why JetBlue keeps doing it. Delta on the other hand tends to fight tooth and nail for everything, including trying to butt up against places where we are now strong, ie NYC to the DR and Puerto Rico.

I don't think JetBlue is going to like Parker's answer. The truth is, the combined AA/US doesn't need JetBlue anymore along the East Coast and Barger knows it and is starting to get nervous. JetBlue will most likely be acquired in the next few years by either DL or WN IMO.

Latest resources

Back