Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you that Guy

Av8or.

I was reading the Sunday AJC here in Atlanta and there was an article about "Jet Socks".. is that your company???

Scherignature

De-icing questions...

About 6 weeks ago, IAD was hit with a snow storm. Scherignature said their hangar was full, company called to confirm, we got dumped on. In the morning we asked again if we could be moved into the hangar for a few hours, same answer "hangar full". While de-icing, they opened the door, hangar had 1, uno, "one" aircraft tucket in the back corner. I checked cost to de-ice our aircraft which we broomed the wings and another of same type that did not broom the wings. Ours was $3000, the aircraft right before us was $7000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe this was intentional on Scherignature's part.

Holy smokes! I have de-iced at least 20 times this month. It just has not stopped snowing in the East. Someone is getting a bill for around 100K. Not to mention having to call out mechanics with heat guns, to melt the N1 iced over.

Luckily, NJA seems to be pretty on top of the weather. I've found that if de-ice is going to be required the next morning the company USUALLY already has us on the hangar list. It is one of the FEW times the company doesn't step over a dollar to pick up a dime
Not so fast. Day 1 of tour, walked out to plane that had been sitting for a week. A foot of snow on it, and 1 hour to departure for a short ferry to pick up pax. Small cabin airplane, over $3500 to deice, and that's after sweeping off as much snow as we could reach.

That's why I typed "USUALLY" in all caps. "USUALLY" does not mean all the time.

Funny, in 10 years with the company, I've never asked permission to de-ice. Jet needs it, jet gets it. My decision. And I've never had anybody in management ask me about it after the fact.

+1

If you feel the need to call in and "ask to de-ice" your ass doesn't belong in the left seat.

Latest resources

Back