• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Copilot Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess I don't understand why flying only the empty legs until you get more time is considered such a hardship, when you have low time. And I don't understand why keeping the folks in the back more comfortable is a sign of a poorly run flight department. Nobody here is saying that lower time copilots should never fly.
Not letting a qualified copilot fly live legs is wrong, but keeping someone who needs a little more time to fly smoothly flying empty legs only is better than the alternative.

thank you to the two guys who saw my meaning. no one is saying he should be denied. no one is saying he shouldnt be there. no one is saying, especially me, that i deserve it more than he does.

the guy gets to fly certain legs, and sometimes not, depending on who the pax are. that sounds normal to me. what hit a nerve was that he does get to fly and with 1350, sounded somewhat ungrateful for having such an awesome opportunity at a lower than normal time. those of you who got in with less than 1500 - great! i, of all people, appreciate the desire to want to fly, i read his post and it sounded like he was complaining and forgetting the awesome position he is in. he isnt just sitting there all the time, he said himself. if he was and no one was letting him fly, then id have been more understanding, that would be frustrating. any of you who responded and said how you do it, you do the same thing, let the new guy gain experience on certain legs. it sounded like he felt he should fly all legs, or something.

if you think my original post said anything contrary, you need reread it. hes in a position with relatively low hours. as i said, most of us have to build more time than he has to get the same kind of position. and to hear what sounds like a whine, given hes flying right seat in a jet, getting actual stick time at 1350 hours, lands rough on the ears as the rest of us who are working hard and sacrificing as instructors, etc., and trying to get to the next level. thats it. no one says anything is owed to us because we have higher times than him. maybe hes forgotten what its like to be climbing out here. not a sob, just a reality. not looking for any sympathy, believe me.

as much as several of you were rubbed the wrong way by comment, what he said rubbed me the wrong way. no one is trying to offend or hurt anyones feelings here.

hes getting time, thats great! seriously. im not advocating that he not get to fly at all - not sure where that came from either. i never said that. never implied it either. but i dont think anyones just going to hand the reigns over right away. from what i know from friends who are flying jets, it takes time. yeah you have hours, but i think its fair to say that trust and ability grows with time = more stick time.

Last edited:
And I don't understand why keeping the folks in the back more comfortable is a sign of a poorly run flight department.

My argument is that the flight department should never have someone in a pilot seat whom they don't trust to fly the equipment with passengers. Ever. If you hire a 1300 hour pilot, let him fly! If you don't trust a 1300 hour guy to fly, don't hire him.

What do you when the 1300 hour pilot you hired but haven't really trained or let fly is all of a sudden on his own because the captain has diarrhea?

Last edited:
My argument is that the flight department should never have someone in a pilot seat whom they don't trust to fly the equipment with passengers. Ever. If you hire a 1300 hour pilot, let him fly! If you don't trust a 1300 hour guy to fly, don't hire him.

What do you when the 1300 hour pilot you hired but haven't really trained or let fly is all of a sudden on his own because the captain has diarrhea?

I see a big difference in being able to safely get the airplane back down on the ground, and being smooth enough to keep the pax comfortable. Once again, nobody said anything about not letting them fly at all, or not training them, or not letting them fly live legs as they progress.
The alternative is, as you said, "don't hire him". Then you are denying him of a lot more than not flying live legs.
I think it can vary from department to department as well. If your owners are comfortable with it, great, go ahead. Some owners are not, and there again, thats fine.They aren't necessarily bad people, just not as comfortable with that idea.
I just jumped into this argument at first because there were some immediate comments about the captain or cheif pilots ego being the problem. Thats not always the case.

You know, at the airlines i was in class with a guy that didn't have much more time than that of the original poster. And all in piston and turboprops. He didn't have a problem with training, and by all accounts, didn't strike fear into the captains he flew with. And yes, we swapped legs.

This is about insecure CP's, that's all.

Almost but not quite.

FOs at Netjets are only allowed to fly from the left seat on empty legs. They are however allowed to fly from the right seat with pax. I think that is what you were talking about. If not, please disregard.

co pilot flying

It is not uncommon, and there are many factors that surround that situation. Co Pilots experience, whose is in the back, destination circumstances, IE: weather, traffic, so on so forth. I do not think it is an ego situation so much as a reality, sometimes the passenger/ owner prefers the captain to fly. Even in a co-captain situation, the senior pilot has to way the same factors, expereince, capabilitys, enroute and terminal conditions. You might have a captain who is excellent on the EFIS, instrument rules, procedure, but slightly week on basic"seat of the pants" flying, so if there is a mean crosswind or CB's in and around the airport of destination, then even a decision has to be made for the benifit of the aircraft and passengers and or the owner.
If you were equal to the captains experience, you would probably trade legs from the left seat.:)

You ever fly with one of those guys that are real fidgety/nervous, wipe the palm of their hands constantly, have their hands near the controls most of the time and glance over EVERY time you reach to adjust ANYthing on the panels (like adjust the altimeter or even just reach for your pen), pretty much tell you how to fly the airplane (even though you have an FAA PIC type rating and a few hundered hours in type), where to taxi, go, stop, left, ok slow down, you're a little high, ok you're a little low- kind of pilot? And you have twice as much flight time as this pilot?

Latest resources

Back