• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Coolest place anyone has flown into?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My vote is for Dominica. The only bad thing is that I only got to do it once. And as far as a tight visual approach I think the bridge visual into San Jaun was a little tighter but the 15r circle to 4L was a little more interesting due to the fact that you were looking into the office buildings in downtown Boston.

You should try to land a DC3 in St Barthelemy.
you have to approach from the ocean making a steep turn and land facing the mountains with no other option but land on a 1700 ft runway.

I will admit it has been a few years, and I dont have an approach plate in front of me- but if I remember correctly Boston 15r< circling is prohibited to South--at least I seem to remember that on the Jepps. Anyways it is questionable whether that is a stabaized approach-at least the ways Ive often seen it performed!

I am unfamiliar with much of the carribean but have found many of the airports in S. America to be quite challenging. Places like Guatemala, Bogota,Lima, and QUITO which all have HIGH terrain coupled with some of the controllers who have been known- well put it this way we are pretty spoiled flying around the US with radar everywhere!

Two good ones:

LDA into Valdez. Always sporting.

Special VOR Kodiak, circle rwy 36, at night with wind and snow for added fun.

By far, the Idaho backcountry strips have the most radical approaches even though they are VFR. Here are a few sporty ones:

Shepp Ranch
Soldier Bar
Lower Loon
Pistol Creek
Wilson Bar
Thomas Creek
and the infamous

Mile High- 560 feet of usable runway, 20 upslope, no go around.

Two (OK, actually three) submissions here - the first is Swan Island, owned by Honduras. Anyone who has flown into Roatan or flown into Honduras, El Salvador or Nicaragua has probably flown over it - it is "Cisne", as in "Isla de Cisne" on the charts. Nothing but a short (1,500 ft) coral strip and at one time a radar site for tracking the druggie traffic. The island has the highest population of iguanas per square mile than anywhere else on earth. On landing you'd squash at least 3 or 4 of 'em. While we were on the ground we'd go snorkeling - talk about an "undiscovered" coral reef! After seeing our fill of tropical fish we'd load up and head out. It was like flying onto Gilligan's Island.
For actual instrument approach fun, I say the now defunct Hong Kong curve. Nothing like flying an ILS to the top of a building and then turning at the checkerboard to line up on the always-with-a-strong-crosswind runway.
Finally, for absolute "What the f***?", it has to be Grand Cayman, and in about two weeks or so. Sometime in the late spring it becomes crab mating/migration/block party season, and the runway and taxiways are covered in crabs. Literally. On taxi out you can hear and feel them getting crushed under the nosewheel. There are thousands of them on the runway, so there is no way to avoid them. As we barrelled down the fairly short runway in our trusty 727 and approached V1 I wondered if anyone had figured out what the RCR of crab guts on the runway is. From my experience the inside of a crab is pretty slimy, and slimy means an RCR of about 1. I pictured us losing an engine and skidding into the water at the end of the runway, only to be asked later if we had taken the crab guts into account in our takeoff planning.

The NDB/DME to Dutch Harbor, AK was always fun. Most of the airports in Southeast--Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka...spectacular when the wx is nice.

FGBT -- Bata, Equatorial Guinea... No lights, no markings, no approaches, no radar, and one blind controller that speaks broken English. Just a chunk of asphault surrounded by jungle on 3 sides and ocean on the other. Pretty cool, especially during rainy season.....

Latest resources

Back