Coolest place anyone has flown into?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi Waitingforclass--

Your right about Dominica, it's beautiful. I did land "into the island and departed out over the ocean" during a day time operation with nil wind. I was flying for an air ambulance operation out of FLL at the time. Some other cool places:

Tegucigalpa, Honduras
St. Lucia (Vigie-north side of island) at night
Managua, Nicaraugua
Quito, Ecuador
Roatan, Honduras (I second someones earlier post)
Cape Haitia, Haitai (only half the runway was usable)
Lima, Peru (only because of the cool Russian airplanes)
Antafagasto, Chile (Neat salt cliffs)
Punta Arenas, Chile
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
Havana, Cuba

Lot's of good stuff, thanks for rekindling some good memories.

fatburger

airport

Hazard Ky. in anything.

Oh wait a minute, you said cool places to fly in. Hazard is not cool at all.

Inside the crater of Mt Pinatubo (R.P) a few months after the big eruption back in the early '90s. We were providing base security for Clark and Subic with a det of AH-1W's and UH-1N's. Very hellish looking place, bubbling mud, steam and some noxious gas (we made a pretty quick pass through) but we were pretty comfortable in the Cobra. I wouldn't have gone near it in a Huey because you'd have been dead if you lost an engine. The area surrounding the volcano was several hundred feet of grey volcanic ash, cut with erosion canals as deep as canyons and huge dead jungle mahogany trees scattered all around like matchsticks.

Close second was a dormant volcano just SE of Subic Bay itself. Triple canopy jungle and a 200' waterfall into a clear pond at the bottom. Tropical birds everywhere and a monkey in every tree. You had to keep the forward airspeed down to around 60 KIAS to be able to turn inside the crater, and the crater itself was a perfect circle several hundred feet deep.

Beautiful country, too bad we couldn't make nice with the locals. FEDEX is probably a better tenant for the local economy anyhow.

The Ruth glacier on Denali. It's at about 6000'msl. You're at climb power and actually climbing when your skis touch down. the views are unlike anywhere in the world. Taking off down such a steep incline is pretty foreign. On liftoff the VSI shows somewhere around 1000 fpm *down*.

I've also been fortunate to fly into some equally spectacular lakes in the mountains on floats.

regards

A DC3 into St Barts,ouch. I've taken C182s, Bonanzas, and a Baron ito their, but wouldn't even want to imagine trying it in a -3. Had to get your pulse rate up a little

Kinmen

Kinmen, Taiwan, R.O.C.

A small dog bone shaped island about 3 kilometers from the mainland. The normal approach was an NDB circle to land runway 6. The last time you actually wanted to be on the inbound bearing was at the final approach fix. From there it was better to navigate by radar to the southern tip of the island so the turn to final could be set up farther out. The runway was set in the forest on the eastern side of the island. It was actually in a little depression right at sea level with trees at 150 msl on short final. If you overshot the extended centerline by too much you would be in communist Chinese airspace ( not good ). At the approach end of the runway was a mobile anti-aircraft battery and the rest of the runway was lined with machine gun enplacements.

Taxiing out for takeoff the soldiers on the anti-aircraft battery would always stand and salute. I always got a kick out of that.

The islands English name for many years was Quemoy. It was the subject of daily artillary duels with the mainland until a few years back. The big industry on the island is making knives out of spent shell casings.

1) Telluride, CO is pretty interesting. At 9200' MSL, it sits atop a mesa.

2) Beef Island, Tortola, British Virgin Islands

3) Tegucigalpa, Honduras

4) Puebla, Mexico- next to a 17,000 MSL active, smoking volcano

5) any of the Family Island airports in the outer Bahamas

Approaching Lake Powell just before sunrise from the west, is on of the most awe inspiring sights in the world.

Latest resources

Back