Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked at a FBO in TEB back in the '80's when flying was great. One of my main jobs was to prep 75-100 hr. students, some who never soloed, to a level of PPL compentency. Most of these guys(and gals) had more money than talent. That's why they had all that "student" time. They could not even hold altitude for three minutes much less do any of the maneuvers required in the PTS. It was a bitch, but when they finally got the hang of it, it was a good feeling. Wether it was poor instruction or not from the start, I don't know, but it really took a lot of hard work to get those people their Certificates. All money does is allow one to extend the frustration of a Student Pilot. Talent and ambition make it sweet. Hats off to any one who can do what that kid can do. Money or not.

Awesome video. This kids got talent and I'm sure a dad who's taught
him quite a bit.
My dad and I got our privates license together years ago and we
have been best buds ever since.

Lear Love -

Having flown civilian aerobatics, in the military, and in my experience as an instructor, there are very few people that even with all the time and money in the world can achieve the skill level of the 18 yr old in that video.

I can understand your sentiments and viewpoint, because I, too, have seen students with more money than brains, talent, or motivation. They simply don't get signed off by me for anything.

This obviously is not the case here.

I will take your opinion exactly as it is, an opinion, but I certainly hope it wasn't formed by a cynical attitude brought on by continuous shafting at US Airways and its subsidiaries/blah blah blah! I'd hate to think that they got to you, too.

'Nuff said.

Hbd

Old Bax said it best in Flying magazine: You need HBD, or "Hot Burning Desire" to excel...money is secondary.

UndauntedFlyer said:
This is an interesting question. I don't think you mean any offense, maybe so but I'll assume differently. So the question is: Given enough money what percentage of people could become pilots and eventually learn to fly a Pitts Special as in the video to an FAA Level I Unrestricted (Surface) aerobatic waiver?

Well first let’s look at what percentage of the general population could even learn to fly? I would guess 90% to a Private Pilot level, 75% to Commercial Pilot level, 60% to ATP level, and 50% to an ATP airline pilot level. Now as far as aerobatics are concerned that's something totally different. I would estimate that to safely be able fly a basic aerobatic routine in a Decathlon it would be 60%, in a Pitts the number is 20%. And to fly the advanced maneuvers in a Pitts as shown in the video 5%, and to fly those maneuvers to an FAA Level IV airshow waiver the answer is 4%, to a level III the answer is 3%, to a level II the number is 2%, and to an FAA Level I Unrestricted surface waiver in a Pitts Special as in the video the answer is 1%. That is my best guess.

So really it's a special skill to be able to fly as in the video and only 1% of the population has that ability. I can say that while I like to fly aerobatics, I am not one of the 1% that can earn a Level I waiver and fly a Pitts as in that video, no matter how much money is available. I do believe the 1% estimate is correct.

So while "LearLove" says it doesn't take special skills, just $$$, I know that isn't true. Money is necessary, but it's the skill more than anything else in this case.

Maybe others can comment on this too.........
Especially those with aerobatic experience, military, IAC or airshow waivers.

Maybe "LearLove" will be encouraged, as he says, to take back his comment if he's convinced t do so by other Board members.

Questions, comments are welcome.... :)

Something about that kid reminds me of myself when I was his age :rolleyes:

........ I wish!

Seriously, awesome...just totally awesome. I wish I had half his skills.

Don't let any of these losers bring you down. The kid is great. I know it, you know it, and they know it as well.

I might agree that money could get you a pilot's certificate...hell, maybe even a job with the airlines. But it will not take you as far as this kid has gone.

I think it is totally awesome that you can share in this with your son. I am going to start watching for his name at some of the airshows.

Ok, first off I am super jealous. I wish that I'd had the opportunities that this kid got so early in life. Glad to see that dad and he have found something that they can both get into and do so well together. That was said as a parent.

Now to learloser, I have flown tons of aerobatics in the T-34C. Yeah it's no Pitts, but I was a standardization instructor for years in the US Navy training command. Eventually becoming the Out-of Controlled flight recovery standardization stage manager. I flew with all sorts of students and instructors and never witnessed the raw talent that this kid has. The only student that had this sort of talent that I ever flew with was a Marine female. That's right guys, a girl and she could kick all of your a$$es. She was awesome. The only student that I ever saw able to hit the wake at the bottom of a cloverleaf every single time. I really enjoyed working with kind of talent. But on the other hand for the one or two awesome students I literally saw a hundred that no amount of money or instruction could ever bring to this kid's level of proficiency.
So, to Dad I say great job!!! and to learloser I say STFU!!

To GrowASpine:

It will be a sad day when a father can not be proud of his children. Your comments in this regard are unkind as well as untrue about much of what you have mentioned.

While you accuse me of living my life vicariously through my son’s accomplishments, I think that my accomplishments both professionally and personally speak for themselves. If my greatest fault then, according to you, is that I am too proud of my children, then I would have to surrender to the failures in life who criticize that type of conduct from a father.

So in reality maybe it is you who must live and make posts like you do because of your own failures or lack of accomplishment. Maybe some of your prior posts tell a story about you. Have you read them?

Let’s take a moment to look at just three of your prior posts:

Quote by GrowASpine:
Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park are musts. When I was there last, I had no problems finding a female willing to take her clothes off with me.

Quote by GrowASpine:
You guys spend so much time worrying about Mesa, and bashing them.
No wonder you never get laid.
Quote by GrowASpine:
Dude, you fly for Mesa. You guys are below GJ scum.

As I took a few minutes to review your prior posts at FlightInfo, I found that not one single post was a contribution of any value to this Board, and the few that you did make were disrespectful to women or others just as your post is about me. You are especially disrespectful of those who are successful and are trying to make a living in this difficult industry. I even found that you were in contradiction of other posts that you yourself had made on the same subject just so you could be hurtful to others again and again.

I will not provide any advice to you. But their are answers for you in what you yourself have written on this Board.

May your personal and professional life be more rewarding in the future.

And regarding the video that is the subject of this thread, it is not posted as a video of my son, but only as a "Cool video of my 18-year old student flying my Pitts." I do think, and so have others who have commented that it is all of that. And I do think that others have enjoyed the airshow, enough so the FlightInfo chose to make it a "Sticky" topic.

Last edited:
positiveg said:
Undaunted Flyer, does your son post here?
No he really doesn’t. Some people like this type of thing (FlightInfo) and others do not. He has his own interests but I’m glad we do share an interest in aviation. I've taught all my children to fly, including my 15-year old. My oldest, my daughter, is a Private pilot and is an elementary school teacher. My son, the one in the video, is a corporate Falcon-10 pilot, and my 15-year old is a HS student who wants to be a patent attorney. I also taught my son-in-law to fly as a wedding present and now he's got a great job as a corporate pilot flying a Falcon 2000. So to best answer your question: It is my only son-in-law who is a member of FlightInfo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back