• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

#($&#(*&$@# Controllers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah I'm at a loss as to an alternative. The dictionary defines it as polite. Guess I missed the memo on this....

Must be a "Corporate Thing" cuz nobody at the airline ever gave a hoot. ;) Nobody I fly with cares either.

For the record I will continue to use it (until someone comes up with some politically correct way of introducing a fellow pilot) but it is not meant to sound derogatory or condescending in any way.

Last edited:
Groundpounder said:
Was this you?

27-Dec-2005 E135/Q Westchester Co [KHPN] Fort Lauderdale Executive [KFXE] 05:38PM EST 08:06PM EST2:28

No I was going out west. Trying to think what time it was. It was earlier than that for sure.

I am a pilot. I am qualified in the right seat as well as the left. I fly with other pilots. My boss is Chief Pilot but prefers just pilot. My Director of Maintenance is a mechanic as well as a pilot. My business card says "Pilot." I don't get off being called Captain. I don't condiscend by calling the other pilot "copilot."

We have a few that like titles. I might be the "Captain of Record" for planning and filing an international trip, yet I'll always be "his" copilot. Some have a string of acronyms on their business cards. Does John Doe executive care if I have an ATP or an SES rating? Does John Doe executive even look? If he saw them, would he have a clue what they meant?

Years ago the airlines followed the military in "assigning" chains of command. Remember when the Captain was King and his decision shall not be questioned? Ahh...many of you are to young to remember....LUCKY YOU! In todays aviation world, it's more like a chain of responsibility. :rolleyes:

A bush pilot in Alaska once said "you'll know they're not a real bush pilot when they walk around with a hat and t-shirt that says "BUSH PILOT!"

2000Flyer

GulfstreamSDL said:
So, what's the most professional/polite way to say it? ... "my crew member" ?

I know a guy who, when talk to most people, will always refer to what he flies as "my airplane." ... *SLAP!*

Apparently the whole objective of this is to do away with the term "my".

So I guess I won't say, "my airplane" when confirming control swaps. I'll have to say, "I have the flight controls" or something like that.

Honestly I have never heard of anyone getting bent out of shape over "my". I think some folks have too much time on their hands to get worked up over something so insignificant. If you are respectful to the other pilot I don't think "my" or "your" makes much difference.

I guess if I went around calling all my fellow (oops I did it again) Captains, "my Captain," I would get accused of being insecure, lacking self-confidence, etc. etc. or something.

I'll just stick with "my" for now cuz I don't know how else to tell the story without saying it that way. ("Well the other pilot I was flying with..." or "The other Captain I was flying with..." That sounds kinda' stupid... )

Last edited:
You could always take a lesson from the way your copilots most likely talk about you when they get home to their wives.

"You wouldn't believe this douchebag I was flying with" :)

Rabble said:
You could always take a lesson from the way your copilots most likely talk about you when they get home to their wives.

"You wouldn't believe this douchebag I was flying with" :)

LOL!!

I can't believe you KNOW that! I was hoping to keep that a secret. :p

LegacyDriver said:
Twelve O'Clock and Eighty Miles was PSB (PHILLIPSBURG) not Solberg. So we just said, "Roger," and went to PSB.

That's spelled Philipsburg, with one 'L'. The locals pronounce it 'Philisburg' - and don't ask me how I know all this.

Why do central Pennsylvanians say, "Floor needs swept," call a vaccuum a "sweeper," and have a general dislike for conjunctions?

Back to your regularly scheduled controller berating...

TG

That Guy said:
That's spelled Philipsburg, with one 'L'. The locals pronounce it 'Philisburg' - and don't ask me how I know all this.

Why do central Pennsylvanians say, "Floor needs swept," call a vaccuum a "sweeper," and have a general dislike for conjunctions?

TG

And either spelling apparently sounds a *LOT* like SOLBERG. :)

That Guy said:

Good, now that we have resolved this crisis how about tackling the infamous "Cleared direct Charlie West as filed..."

As far as the "My copilot" thing goes, might I suggest "The guy I fly with"?

Hells bells guys.

'Sled

BenderGonzales said:
Just curious. Why did you use the phrase "MY copilot"?

Do you own the copilot? Does he belong to you?

Are you his boss (where the phrase "MY employee" would be appropriate)?

Or does he simply report to you where the phrase "my subordinate" would be more appropriate?

More importantly is that the kind of cockpit you run? Master and apprentice? Do you let him touch the radar?

:uzi:

Latest resources

Back