• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

#($&#(*&$@# Controllers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Asking the next controller to verify the fix would have cleared up the whole issue. It wouldn't matter who was in the wrong, the next controller might have sent you to another fix anyway.

Hey Sluming,

I think you may misunderstand the purpose of an ASAP compared to an ASRS form, also referred to as a NASA form. They are run by two entirely different entities. The ASAP program was designed primarily for the 121 world and is an agreement between the airline and the FAA for self-disclosure with the intent of identifying potential safety hazards. It also has the advantage of protecting the flight crew that participates in the program.

The NASA program on the other hand was a program designed by NASA to independantly audit the air traffic system and the FAA and also protect the pilots if they decide to self-disclose an incident.

Participation in the ASAP program does not preclude you from using the NASA program as well because it may help to identify safety issues to both the FAA and NASA.

I have to say, in my time of perusing the Flightinfo forums, I've seen a lot of really stupid discussions but this discussion on the use of the possesive "my" when referring to a fellow crew-member has to take the cake. In the past I have referred to "my captain", "my first officer", "my flight instructor", "my student" without any intent on being demeaning. How else would you describe the guy/gal that you are flying with for the day/trip/month? I'm not claiming any ownership over any of the above, it is a simple term of familiarity and identifying them as someone that I am flying with.

Respectfully, my $0.02

the copilot I was flying with. or the guy/gal.
I think "the" is better.

When I hear a f/o say "my captain" I feel it is worse.

If your ego is so fragile that you can't handle being called "my" anything (co-pilot, F/O, co-Captain, colleague...) Then you have big time self-esteem issues.

LegacyDriver said:
If your ego is so fragile that you can't handle being called "my" anything (co-pilot, F/O, co-Captain, colleague...) Then you have big time self-esteem issues.

Skull One...."MY BITCH"..

:D

Gulfstream 200 said:
Skull One...."MY BITCH"..

:D

Yours...bullets first..."Bitch." ;)

(I ain't yo' bitch, beeyatch. You don't sit in my cockpit.) :) Crap I did it again...I said, "My." WOOPS. LOL

Last edited:
" ...He told us the direction and DME to the fix even if he called it by the wrong name ..."

This wouldn't be enough to convince me he was looking at the right airplane.

Either the controller repeatedly misspoke the name of the fix (and you should have clarified the phonetic identifier), or the controller had you confused with another aircraft (and you should have verified aircraft position, altitude, and callsign).

The controller was a jerk, but you and your copilot didn't hold his feet to the fire, and make him clarify for the recorders. As a previous poster said, the controller probably elected not to revisit the subject when, or if, he realized his error. Obviously, he was busy and grumpy. Still, I would file an ASRS report, myself.

Now, about my copilot: I think the impersonal article "the" sucks. This is not how one speaks of friends, family, colleagues, teammates. First officers who find the expression "my copilot" offensive should consider the real meaning of the prefix co. To call your flying partner "the captain," or "the copilot," is to put a long arm's length between you. Frankly, it's just weird to imagine calling someone with whom you are on a first-name basis "the" anything.

And let's be clear: when you're the pilot-in-command, the proprietary my becomes a habit of speech -- an expression of responsibility. My airplane, my crew, my passengers, my responsibility, my ass if something goes wrong. First officers who plan to be captains some day should focus on this, instead of on semantics.

I'd do the ASRS report.

How about "My Associate", that's how other professions refer to one another and the business world seems to function reasonably well with the phrase as well.

I think this whole "My (insert choice)" all depends on the situation. Maybe if introducing one before flight to the pax, how about "And this is ___, your captain/co-pilot today." Notice, now the introduction gives the pax ownership...obviously this is probably more 91/135 crap. Now, if you're out for a beer and you're introduced to buddies of the captain (this happened to me a couple years ago) as "My co-pilot", then I think that's a bit overboard. This particular guy used to introduce himself as Captain ___ to everyone: FBO girls, line 'persons', and yes...even Flight Service when he'd call for his brief. It used to make me laugh pretty good, though. Understand from my end, as I've been an FO for 3 years, that even though the PIC is signing for the airplane and all, I have a huge personal stake in the safety and timelieness of the flight, as well as making a positive impression for the repeat customers.

Oh, yeah - regarding the original post - I think this exact same thing happened while I was going to MDW from HPN or somewhere close by. The guy meant PSB and kept saying SBJ. We went back and forth for a couple sec's until I said...you do mean PSB right?? He paused a sec and came back with "Yeah, that's it sorry." No big deal, but it does happen a lot. Again, as with everything there's no need to be an instant a-hole when people make simple mistakes.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back