• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

#($&#(*&$@# Controllers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow! Certain pilots need to relax. The attitude that is starting to become standard is that the FO is equal to the CA. You were in New York, anything goes. Your attitude about showing up the controller is unprofesional to say the least. Lead by example.

Showing up the controller???? WTF are you smoking?

If I were trying to show him up I wouldn't have dropped it.

I was attempting to politely get clarification to avoid a violation. He's the one who was unprofessional.

You need to chill out pal. Hopefully next time I will handle it better but I was polite and calm throughout. Remember, his reply to my justified query for clarification was insulting and/or rude at best. If I had responded in kind feel free to call me unprofessional, otherwise you are way off base.

I am the one at risk of a violation, not the controller...

And as for crew interactions, since when did the use of "my" mean you were an arrogant prick who considers your fellow pilot a serf??? W T F is that about?

I am soliciting input on a very odd situation. Thanks to my friends here I will fill out an ASRS Report to cover my arse. I'm not here to show up anyone. I think you are just overly critical.

Last edited:
I get paid by the hour and spend most of my time in NY,PHL,DCA airspace, if they want me to do a 360 six times I will. Be careful how you write the ASAP, if you knowingly violated a reg i.e. going to a fix not cleared, the report will not be accepted, and you open yourself up to a violation that may not be needed. Think hard about the way the controller responded, if you actually went to a fix and he said nothing I might reconsider the asap. The controller can be violated just like you, in NY airspace you don't get away with much, especially going to the wrong fix. Most likely he relized his mistake and never apologized about it. Write the report wisely, you don't want to open a can of worms that wasnt needed. I myself would do nothing, I don't think the asap is needed, however only you can make that decision. Good luck.

Always file the ASRS. The whole point of the reporting process is to identify problems exactly like this.
If anyone needs it in the future the NY Tracon number is: 1-800-645-3206. Make sure you call them about 4-5 PM on a Friday.

sluminginpit said:
I get paid by the hour and spend most of my time in NY,PHL,DCA airspace, if they want me to do a 360 six times I will. Be careful how you write the ASAP, if you knowingly violated a reg i.e. going to a fix not cleared, the report will not be accepted, and you open yourself up to a violation that may not be needed. Think hard about the way the controller responded, if you actually went to a fix and he said nothing I might reconsider the asap. The controller can be violated just like you, in NY airspace you don't get away with much, especially going to the wrong fix. Most likely he relized his mistake and never apologized about it. Write the report wisely, you don't want to open a can of worms that wasnt needed. I myself would do nothing, I don't think the asap is needed, however only you can make that decision. Good luck.

What do you mean "the report will not be accepted"? Contrary to popular belief, the whole point of the ASRS program is to provide a confidential way of communicating safety issues. What the OP described was a safety issue worth communicating. One benefit that arises from the filing of an ASRS report is that the FAA cannot take any disciplinary action against you for filing such report. The ASRS report may even prevent some disciplinary action against the report filer. The circumstances under which the report may be used to avoid FAA certificate action are limited, and that might be to what you are referring, but to my knowledge, they will always ACCEPT the report.

Well now the question is, "To file or not to file? To call ATC or not to call?" Not into getting anyone in trouble but definitely want to CMA.

How to phrase? Man. He told us the direction and DME to the fix even if he called it by the wrong name so... Let sleeping dogs lie?

LegacyDriver said:
Well now the question is, "To file or not to file? To call ATC or not to call?" Not into getting anyone in trouble but definitely want to CMA.

How to phrase? Man. He told us the direction and DME to the fix even if he called it by the wrong name so... Let sleeping dogs lie?

Why is the filing of an ASRS report even a question? Pilots think the damn thing is used to protect their asses (it can) but it has other more primary purposes. Despite what one esteemed poster above wrote, I don't ever see how the report filing could harm you. Admitting to criminal acts is never a good idea, but since you didn't do anything criminal, you have nothing to worry about.

Call ATC? Call the facility QA guys and run it by them and see what they have to say. Call FSS, they'll have the phone number on file. When they pick up, just as to speak to "QA". If FSS doesn't have the phone number (say you live in FL or whatever) FSS can get you the number for the regional office, and the regional office will get you the number for the facility.

As you suggested above, there are ways to handle the situation without getting anybody into trouble. His attitude was unacceptable, despite the fact it is NY.

Is the ASRS report the same as the NASA? The airline I fly for participates in ASAP reporting, we don't use this ASRS. The ASAP follows certain requirements that need to be followed to be accepted. One being filled within 24 hrs of the incident. ASAP's can be turned down and not accepted by the feds. Each one is reviewed in person with the feds and the safety board from ALPA. If the fed's feel the violation was done due to blatant error (i.e. flying to fix not cleared to) they will proceed with certificate action

The situation that Legacydriver has is a tough one. I strongly belive the controller possiblly was confused (which they will never admit to). If the ASRS is indeed non jepordy and you feel the need to fill one out, only you can decide, it's you career. However human error is still a factor in flying and controlling. No safety can be increased, what you risk is drawing attention to yourself, and the controller. Trust me, in NY center if you screwed up you would know! They would have given you the number to call.

One other quick note. Remebers guys that if the ASRS report is like the NASA report, it will not portect you if indeed you commited a violation knowly. If Leagcydriver states that he flew to the wrong fix without the controller clearing him they won't care, he will get violated. The confusion was never resolved Legacydriver states he went to the other fix because that's what he tought the controller meant. If the report is needed then he went to the wrong fix, right? There is your violation, admitted to by the pilot in writing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back